www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 26th, 2018, 14:02   #946
hajes

always keep revs below 1800rpm...it will save lots of fuel, destroy clutch, crankshaft bearings and more ;-)

best power/economy is where turbo is in its most effective area...which means for every factory tuned TDi at around 2500-2700rpm or mid way between max torque/power...in my car 1850-4000rpm.

At 2500rpm I get 700km per 55l tank...3000rpm 600km per tank...grandpa style at 2000rpm...who knows, maybe 1000km per tank...my record when I drove really slow that I felt i could walk faster...I have got 800km per tank.

Car is a transportation device for reaching quickly point A>B...if I want to save, I will go by bus/train
hajes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2018, 15:35   #947
Jettax3

Hi, new member here. New to forums as well, hope I'm doing this right. In reading all these pages, I saw very little reference to a plugged cat. In my case this made a 10mpg difference when I removed it. That would be highway miles btw. Also it's possible I slowed down a bit on average the last time I drove to OR, so that would have a bearing on the mileage as well. Anyway, I got 47-49.6 mpg in late June, a/c running wide open all the time (sorry I like to be comfortable when I drive my car I drive I-80, last year similar conditions yielded just under 40 mpg. Like I said, I think I slowed down on average (sorry not documented) but I was pretty happy with the mpg I got. So a question: if I tune my car (injectors, stage 2 cam, etc) will I see an improvement on those long road trips? I understand that in the truck world, if you tune your truck, and keep your driving habits the same, your mileage is guaranteed to increase. Obviously with all that torque on tap, it would be hard, at least at first, to drive exactly how I did before. So question is mostly aimed at the road trip mpg.
Great site. Lots of info that I didn't know before!
Jettax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2018, 06:35   #948
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

If you’re looking for MPG improvements, first and foremost make sure everything is working as it should from the factory. You’ve found a plugged cat, make sure everything else is working too. Air filter, timing (pump and cam), vnt actuator, egr/intake is clean, etc.

I’d recommend a tune only and a switch to low viscosity engine and transmission oils to improve MPG. Maybe taller tires (205/70/15) the next time they need to be replaced (make sure you account for the extra distance traveled). A stage 2 cam won’t make much difference if any so they’re not high on my list. Injectors are ok if you need them, but they also typically require a new clutch if not detuned and that can get a bit expensive and time consuming. If you’re dmf is making noise or you’ve already replaced the clutch then nozzles for sure, but the tune and oils are the most important thing
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2018, 04:58   #949
emdog

Fuel Economy: 35avg

Not an actual nube, and, Day-amn! Well that sux! I just wrote a dissertation about my 2mo old new/used '13, Candy, 45K, cpo, dsg, so far 35.1mpg hgwy/city(10-25 over the limit) Bug girlfriend, and as I tried to copy it, 'just in case', something went kazookie & I lost it to the ether
And a somewhat funny, very long rant about a great dlrship mgr, & a wet behind the ears, mom still dresses him, svc tkt cluck who's way younger than my 55yrs (I'm 68) as 1 sun more than a shade tree mechanic. Oh well... I'll be back bec I want the skinny on Malone et al tuning etc
So, off to the dlrship to rub some real knowledge into the cluck's nose, & maybe his eye if he cops another attitude about my reality diagnostic 'tool'/stuck on my mud-slicked surfaced, 30* drvway, vs his/tech's, 'both front wheels turn when it's on the lift/fwd is ok' diagnosis.

Last edited by emdog; December 22nd, 2018 at 05:04.
emdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2019, 21:08   #950
eagle
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejpilger View Post
1. The sooner you get to a higher gear the better (lower RPM = less waste)

2. The power curve for the TDI shows the best efficiency at 100% load, between about 1500 and 2500 RPM.

So...the most efficient way to get to speed should be flooring it, skipping gears (as long as you stay in the efficient RPM range).

Since adopting this method my mileage improved at least 15%.

This stands in direct contradiction to the "Take it easy accelerating" rule. Anything wrong with my logic, or my observations?
I know I'm quoting an 11-year-old comment, but I seem to recall that I read that flooring it and shifting quickly was the best way to go too.

I've been looking for the old FAQ from the ~2006 timeframe but haven't found it yet.

My understanding is that TDIs generate their economy at speed, so the best thing to do is to not waste time accelerating, and to accelerate as quickly as possible -- and then to stay at speed and not slow down.

Am I remembering this correctly?

I recently got a new-to-me 2013 Jetta TDI, and I'm wanting to run it efficiently. I'm not a hypermiler, but I would like to get 35+ in the city, and 45+ on the highway, and I'm sure it's possible even with my driving conditions.

Thanks.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2019, 21:41   #951
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Depends on your driving conditions. Mostly highway and I would agree with what you posted, in the city not so much. Accelerating hard over and over again in town should kill your economy. If you only have to do it a few times per tank, probably the way to go. I have no trouble getting 35 mpg (urban driving) in my Beetle just driving normally. It should be easier for you in the Jetta.
Old June 20th, 2019, 04:15   #952
eagle
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta

Thanks. I’ll see what I can do. Unfortunately (fortunately?) my commute is only 5 miles, so it takes forever to get through a tank.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 09:24   #953
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

With only a 5 mile commute don't ever expect to get stellar fuel economy. The engine can't even get warmed up in that amount of time. A TDI isn't the best at all for that kind of driving. You have to be careful to let regens complete when your commute is that short. This is where a hybrid or fully electric car shines.