www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old August 15th, 2007, 18:50   #1
caruna

TDI(s): 2002 Golf
Default Fuel filter O-rings -- important!

So I had to break down about 6 times before I finally got it through my thick head ---
ALWAYS put on new O-rings when you pull the return line port (is that what it's called?) off the fuel filter. Put in new O-rings EVEN if you just pull it off for a second to see if there's fuel in the filter.

I kept breaking down because of no fuel getting to the injectors, caused by air being sucked into the system somewhere. The best my local mechanic could tell me was to go to VW and buy a proper filter rather than the Wix knockoff sold at the parts store. Finally it occurred to me that the Ace Hardware in town sells O-rings. I now carry a little bag of them, and I haven't had a problem since, regardless of filter brand...
caruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:20   #2
Naimanator
Veteran Member

You know, it's funny... I changed my fuel filter about a month ago and didn't realize that there were o-rings I was supposed to change. I haven't had any problems yet though.
Naimanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:25   #3
owr084
Veteran Member

What's worse is swapping the the sending line from the tank to the filter and the return line to the tank from the tee fitting Definite no start conditions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruna
So I had to break down about 6 times before I finally got it through my thick head ---
ALWAYS put on new O-rings when you pull the return line port (is that what it's called?) off the fuel filter. Put in new O-rings EVEN if you just pull it off for a second to see if there's fuel in the filter.

I kept breaking down because of no fuel getting to the injectors, caused by air being sucked into the system somewhere. The best my local mechanic could tell me was to go to VW and buy a proper filter rather than the Wix knockoff sold at the parts store. Finally it occurred to me that the Ace Hardware in town sells O-rings. I now carry a little bag of them, and I haven't had a problem since, regardless of filter brand...
Old August 16th, 2007, 15:17   #4
thermopylaetech
Veteran Member

The arvin meritor "purolator" branded filters I use come with a baggy with more then enough little o-rings and I change them every time, just like the o-rings on the oil filter. The last thing I need is hot diesel spraying around!
28 Main Street
Accord NY 12404

Unlimited Thinking

Unlimited Thoughts

Custom CAD-E & Fabrication Solutions for Road & Race
Unimog Sales & Equipment
Road & Race Lighting Equipment
OBDII ECU/PCM Programing
thermopylaetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 00:13   #5
KS97Passat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg max. (at 60-65mph)

Can someone report the size of these o-rings so that I can get some from my local "o-ring store" (I may hold out for viton material too)? For some reason, Caterpillar doesn't include these with the retrofit filter I buy from them.

I have a friend whose car I suspect has this sucky problem. He's getting lots of bubbles in his clear fuel line (A4 - manual transmission) and the car is a little slow to start.
'97 B4: 195k mi., .658 5th, 57/63 mpg "best tank" before/after trans. mod. (hwy, 60-65 mph), new stock nozzles @ 148k, Upsolute, "mufflerectomy", add'l exh. flex-pipe, B'stone B381 low-rolling-res. tires, Cat filter, ScanGaugeII

Last edited by KS97Passat; August 18th, 2007 at 00:15.
KS97Passat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:07   #6
Ron 33
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/44/40

Wrong o rings will stop you dead in the road.
Happened to me, fun meter was pegged.
The last fuel filter I installed was a Purolator. I did not notice the size (diameter) of the o rings until after the mishap. After a mechanic spent 4 hrs troubleshooting, he changed the fuel filter, and we were running again.
After getting home I found the T valve o rings were smaller than the new o rings on the new T valve I got to carry as a spare.
No more Purolator fuel filters for me, I suspect the filter and the o rings.
Y2K Jetta GLS TDI 5 Spd Atlantic Blue 346,400 miles (the only thing worn out is the paint). 700 Mile Club, 2013 Jetta GLS TDI, DSG six speed, Soon to be no more... Tornado Red. 19,652 miles. 2005 F250 6.0 Diesel 96,000 miles. Drove the F250 to Alaska summer 2015 towing an RV....what a trip!!
Newest 2017 Passat 1.8t SEL Premium, Silver, w/Gray interior.
Ron 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:48   #7
Lefty
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.5 MPG

That's funny, last year I changed my filter in a Walmart Parking lot and dropped the mickey mouse clip. I never found it nor did I have the o-ring. I went to an Ace Hardware and got an o-ring and then used a paper clip to hold the T down until my daughter sent me a new one from Denver. Ace is the Helpful hardware place to go. Oh, and when you change it next time, use a string on the Mickey mouse clip in case you drop it.
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:11   #8
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruna
Put in new O-rings EVEN if you just pull it off for a second to see if there's fuel in the filter.
Keep this in mind when you buy a filter with the thermostatic T pre- installed from one of the trusted TDIclub parts suppliers. Yes, you will be on your own for new o-rings if you pull it to pre-fill with diesel.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 13:19   #9
TDIfor
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: TotalCar 70.5K mile avg: 49.5 MPG

Warning, warning, Will Robinson....

Bought a VW fuel filter from the dealer. Had MOGolf install it along with other work. He questioned where I got the filter, and where I got the O-rings. He didnt like the look of the O-rings, but swapped them out.

Fuel filter was installed, filled with fuel, Mityvaced, everything. Engine started and died within 5 secs.

Bottom line, the O-rings were bad, and had broken upon reinstallation of the T-fitting. Ended up re-using the O-rings from the old filter.

So, VW has <Im shocked, shocked> a series of bad parts kicking around right now. Maybe the O-ring issue has sorted itself out by now, but look at the O-rings. Now, I dont know how to tell a good O-ring from a bad one, but if you install a VW fuel filter, and the engine dies on you, you may have been bitten by a flaky O-ring.
TDIfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 14:14   #10
unL33T
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure I didn't see or change any O-rings when I did my fuel filter... but that was awhile ago so I might just be absent-minded.

Now I'm worried.

Save the manuals!
unL33T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 13:40   #11
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

If you haven't noticed anything abnormal by now, I wouldn't worry. Just remember it for next time.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 15:02   #12
Darth Bug

Fuel Economy: 48mpg

so did any one want to post the size or the o-rings i should get at ace. i'd rather not guess and then wait for a friend to show up to drive back.

stupid new beatles and their fuel filters being weird, and the fact that i didn't know that i could take out the whole assembly to get that stupid butterfly clip back on there. stupid no room. but i love the compact size.

any help would be great, thanks.

2002 Black on Black NB
Darth Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 21:29   #13
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

The VW part number for the fuel filter "O" rings is 1JO 198 247 but when I tried it on 1stVWparts.com or worldimpex.com nothing came up...

[EDIT: tdiparts.com does show them in the catalog... $2.50 http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=476 ]

Yuri.

PS: since there are 2 different-colored ones in the OEM package, does anyone know what the actual difference is between the blue and black ones ??

Last edited by ymz; December 2nd, 2007 at 09:33.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:52   #14
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

I used the old O-rings twice , no leaks. Be careful with O-rings from Ace
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 21:35   #15
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS97Passat
Can someone report the size of these o-rings so that I can get some from my local "o-ring store" (I may hold out for viton material too)? For some reason, Caterpillar doesn't include these with the retrofit filter I buy from them.
If you bought a Cat fuel filter kit from LanduytG, then the OEM ones will not work. It will let a lot more air in.

you will need a "AS568A-904" sized O-ring which is ID: 8.92mm & CS: 1.83mm.

If you order the CAT filters from LanduytG, he supplies you with replacement o-rings.