www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 21st, 2019, 20:50   #16
WildChild80
Veteran Member

I get flamed from time to time but what I'd do...I'd pull one from the wrecker and slap it on, the bearings are probably good, if they're not, replace them, that's assuming the one you find doesn't also look like you pulled it off the Titanic kinda like the one you were recently riding on.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 21:01   #17
intro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild80 View Post
I get flamed from time to time but what I'd do...I'd pull one from the wrecker and slap it on, the bearings are probably good, if they're not, replace them, that's assuming the one you find doesn't also look like you pulled it off the Titanic kinda like the one you were recently riding on.

Bahahahaha! Yeah, maybe that's the best plan. Hopefully the yard doesn't try to charge me too much extra for it being "loaded." So, from what I read, as long as the bolts on the strut mount and the bushings are the same size as what's on my car that will work? It would be good if I had options; Jetta, Golf, Beetle.
intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 21:03   #18
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Some will, but spare calipers and such aren't the worst thing in the world

Old October 22nd, 2019, 05:33   #19
ahldailydriver02
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48ish

Watching this, might need to do the same to my 03 wagon soon
ahldailydriver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 15:53   #20
intro
Veteran Member

Well, it's out. Don't know how I'd take care of this at the pick & pull without a sawzall.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 19:55   #21
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

wire wheel
JB weld
paint

MORE ZIPTIES
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 19:58   #22
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
wire wheel
JB weld
paint

MORE ZIPTIES
Once over dust twice over rust

But they must be mighty car mods zip ties

Old October 24th, 2019, 08:52   #23
intro
Veteran Member

A guy off craigslist is parting out a TDI Jetta. He sent me the photos of the beam (only wants $50). Is this too much rust? Do the bushings seem pretty solid, seems that way? What do people think? I don't mind spending some time with a wire brush and then rust proofing/painting. It's what I would have done had I found the rotted piece sooner. I am short on time at the moment so this seems like a good solution if it saves me a few hours at the yard Saturday. Part of me feels like up here in New England am I really going to find anything better than this at the junkyard? Only other option is new but man, it's so expensive.

Last edited by intro; October 24th, 2019 at 08:58.
Old October 24th, 2019, 11:23   #24
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Looks like a fine used part.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 11:45   #25
intro
Veteran Member

I wish I had a big enough container to drop it in with some vinegar. I had a rusted exhaust manifold I dropped in vinegar for a week and then switched to baking soda, came out like new pretty much, then dressed it up with slip plate.
Old October 24th, 2019, 12:15   #26
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

I'd get that thing sand blasted, check all the welds, then paint with a few coats of alkyd enamel and maybe consider rocker guard paint over that. At the very least, apply a rust converter.
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 12:27   #27
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Yea, it would be worth maybe $50 (no idea) to have it dipped or bead blasted, then coated.
Old October 24th, 2019, 13:11   #28
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Push comes to shove if you don't want to have it sandblasted you can wire wheel the metal, use phospho on it (you can get that at HomeDepot or Lowes; it's used to etch for paint) which will stop the rust from progressing and parkerize the bare metal, then I'd use a cold galv paint on it and then whatever topcoat you want (e.g. enamel, etc.)

The coldgalv will help if the other material gets penetrated in that the zinc is sacrificial to the steel, and will be eroded first -- which is what you want.
Genesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 15:48   #29
intro
Veteran Member

Thank folks. I think I'm just going to go pick it up and hope I don't regret the amount of time it will take to remove rust/paint/remove bushings/press in new bushings vs just buying a new one with the bushings already pressed/new related components in and getting it all done Saturday. The price difference is significant enough but Im just thinking about time constraints.

Reading a lot of horror stories on the removal of old bushings and pressing in of new ones. Are those split ones for sale on IDParts-Whiteline Performance, any easier to get in? The tool they sell, I'd probably grab that-VSU3026 tool, it seems just like a modified wheel bearing install tool-Wondering if I can just modify mine.

The removal is just drilling, chiseling, sawzall for however long it takes? Does the pressing tool work for pushing a bushing out one end?

Thinking about those Cupra bushings...They sound pretty sweet.

Last edited by intro; October 24th, 2019 at 15:52.
Old October 24th, 2019, 16:06   #30
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

With the thing out of the car like that, you may be able to just use a machine shop (or parts store with such service) and have it done. They're usually pretty reasonable for stuff like that.