www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old June 18th, 2019, 13:55   #2131
CheapBastard
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 JSW
Fuel Economy: 30

I don’t know, my JSW was salvaged in 2015 with 1500 miles on it and it had the fix in March of 2018
CheapBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 07:22   #2132
jeffcapp99
Veteran Member

Default Restitution

Anyone hear anything on when restitution checks will come out? It has been a year since claims deadline.
jeffcapp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 10:09   #2133
GolfTDISA
Veteran Member

Council told me it will be in January next year when they will get to it .

Last edited by GolfTDISA; September 26th, 2019 at 10:27.
GolfTDISA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 13:32   #2134
MGraham

Default Restitution received

We received full restitution in the mail today for one of the two salvage title cars we purchased Oct 2016 and returned to VW last year. Pleasant surprise!
MGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 10:54   #2135
sun_dance99

TDI(s): Q7

Hi folks, rather than start a new thread on this I was wondering what are the major "gotchas" related to getting payment from VW related to salvage title vehicle?

Reason I ask, is that I know of someone's estate selling a 2013 Q7 3.0TDI which hasn't had the recall done, but it is a salvage title. They are selling it for a reasonable price, but would be great if the VW payment can be applied to it.
sun_dance99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 14:31   #2136
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You are too late. That is over already. It is now just a car again instead of a profit maker. You can get the fix done for free but you won't be getting any money from VW for it.
Old October 18th, 2019, 12:03   #2137
sun_dance99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
You are too late. That is over already. It is now just a car again instead of a profit maker. You can get the fix done for free but you won't be getting any money from VW for it.
Are you sure about that, since according to the settlement site it states:

The 3.0L Settlement Program for Generation 2 vehicles ends on April 30, 2020.

and that "December 31, 2019 Claims Deadline: Deadline to complete a claim, including submitting required documents."

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/3-0-models/

So does anyone know for sure? BTW, the vehicle was rebuilt and was written off at some point.
Old October 18th, 2019, 14:44   #2138
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Operate on the assumption that you are not going to get anything. That the vehicle was previously written off and rebuilt puts some additional dates into the equation (basically involving the dates at which dieselgate became public knowledge, and when the courts clarified what was to be done with these vehicles). I don't know what those dates are, but they are long past.

There is a remote possibility that if the effective dates of write-off and rebuild pre-date something that I don't recall, it MIGHT be eligible ... but it will be an uphill battle. Figure on nothing. If the car is still worth buying, file the claim paperwork. If nothing happens, that's what you expected. If something happens, bonus.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 14:55   #2139
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I wasn't aware the 3.0 vehicles had different dates. But what GoFaster posted anyway.
Old October 20th, 2019, 21:40   #2140
dlll

Default Warranty

I have an opportunity to purchase 2015 with 14k miles. I put in the vin code on the VW site and said it was ineligible. So pulled carfax and that Michigan DMV issued a salvage title on 2/08/2018 on 06/04/2018 a rebuilt title was issued. On 7/16/2018 13,778 miles emission software update was done. On 5/20/2019 car was sold at Auction Pacific Region. I can not find on the VW site if the car is still under the factory extended emission warranty, is this car done and out of the program. So does this mean any further updates emission repairs will not be honored.
dlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2019, 22:21   #2141
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

If you want hassle free warranty coverage, don't buy something that has a salvage title. Expect considerable push-back from VW in the event of you trying to make a warranty claim. The salvage title implies the potential that something big and bad happened to that car which was beyond VW's control, which means rightly or wrongly, they no longer want any responsibility for it.

Do you want cheap, or do you want peace of mind. Can't have both.
Old October 21st, 2019, 07:30   #2142
dlll

Default Warranty

From my understanding is that when VW did the buy back on this one they branded the title. It was not from any accident. I just bought a 2015 Golf CPO for my kid 35k on it from a Vw dealer. I also found this unit for my other kid, car is like new and being a mechanic for 35 years nothing scares me except the HPFP blowing up hahaha.
dlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 07:56   #2143
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

There is no reason why they should have done that. There's also no reason why you should take responsibility for it. Unless they want to fix the paperwork, run away.
Old October 21st, 2019, 08:48   #2144
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlll View Post
From my understanding is that when VW did the buy back on this one they branded the title.
Haven't hear of that and I have been paying attention.

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 12:47   #2145
sun_dance99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Operate on the assumption that you are not going to get anything. That the vehicle was previously written off and rebuilt puts some additional dates into the equation (basically involving the dates at which dieselgate became public knowledge, and when the courts clarified what was to be done with these vehicles). I don't know what those dates are, but they are long past.

There is a remote possibility that if the effective dates of write-off and rebuild pre-date something that I don't recall, it MIGHT be eligible ... but it will be an uphill battle. Figure on nothing. If the car is still worth buying, file the claim paperwork. If nothing happens, that's what you expected. If something happens, bonus.
@GoFaster - at the current sale price it's an OK deal, nothing I'd go crazy about. Do you have a link to any docs specific around rebuilt titles and the specific dates related to those? I know that the vehicle was rebuilt in 2016