Cutting the wires to the driver's side power lock module

lbieber

TDI
2000 Golf
I am having the issue where the windows all roll down randomly. (My car is a 2000 MKIV Golf TDI). My car got recently towed due to the police thinking someone was breaking into it. I don't need my car to lock, since I don't keep anything in there. I don't have a lot of time right now to take the door apart, so I am wondering what the consequences are if I simply cut the wire that is going to the lock module.

Will it set off any alarms? Like I said, I don't need my car to lock, it is not important for me, as I don't keep anything valuable in it. I just need the windows to stop rolling down on me.

Thanks a lot.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
There's not just "a wire". CAN runs into the door, to the computer in the window motor. The lock module is run by the door computer, which gets its commands from the central convenience module.

You could unplug the wiring harness where it goes to the door. The connectors are under the dead pedal. Of course then you won't be able to roll down the window on that door, and the interior lights won't come on when you open it.

Have you tried working the lock cylinder back and forth a few times?

-J

lbieber

TDI
2000 Golf
Hi, thanks for the response.

There is a bundle of wires that seem to be running to the lock mechanism. I can't see for sure, since there is the steel plate in the way. Cutting these wires would disable the windows from working? I see that there is a bundle of wires that goes to the driver's window control as well as a different bundle that seems to go to the lock module. Cutting the lock module wires would cause the windows to not work? (I do have the plastic door cover off)

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
If you scan it with VCDS it would probably tell you where the fault lies.
It may be as simple as unplugging the drivers master switch. Cutting wires
seems like a super bad idea. It'll make the ultimate repair 50x harder.
EDIT: there's also a fuse on the lower relay panel (driver's footwell) you could probably just remove for now.

Last edited:

lbieber

TDI
2000 Golf
I think this is a known problem with the door lock module. When you turn the key in the door to the "unlock" position and hold it for 3 seconds I believe, it rolls all the windows down. A microcontroller is bad which is causing this action to happen randomly. I wish I had a wiring diagram for the door lock module. My car has many issues, but none engine related. It is a good commuter/beater. I don't care if I can never fix the locks, so long as the windows stop doing this.