www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old October 8th, 2019, 13:25   #16
RIP TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
but none of the A7 TDIs got the electric heater, as I assume they felt it was not necessary or (more likely) they were trying to save a few bucks.
Apparently all A7 TDIs have the 7E6 "Electric Auxiliary Air Heater", but NOT the 9M0 "Auxiliary Heater".

If you're looking for the 7E6 option code on your build STICKER (located underneath the hatch threshold trim panel), you won't find it, since the sticker doesn't list all equipment on your car. The build SHEET does list all equipment codes & descriptions.
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio

Last edited by RIP TDI; October 8th, 2019 at 13:34.
RIP TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 16:40   #17
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP TDI View Post
Apparently all A7 TDIs have the 7E6 "Electric Auxiliary Air Heater", but NOT the 9M0 "Auxiliary Heater".

If you're looking for the 7E6 option code on your build STICKER (located underneath the hatch threshold trim panel), you won't find it, since the sticker doesn't list all equipment on your car. The build SHEET does list all equipment codes & descriptions.
I have my factory manifest and I definitely do not have 7E6.
2010 VW Jetta TDI Buyback
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 17:10   #18
The Tortoise
Veteran Member

I have the 7E6.

Canadian Trendline.
The Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 17:16   #19
RIP TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Popaleetus View Post
Interesting...

My GSW was purchased new in Baltimore and does have 7E6 (near the very bottom of the list). Assuming yours was originally sold in Conn., I can't believe there's that small a regional difference. Yours is a hatchback, right? Could it be HB vs. GSW? A logical explanation eludes me.
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio

Last edited by RIP TDI; October 8th, 2019 at 18:01.
Old October 8th, 2019, 17:54   #20
The Tortoise
Veteran Member

I have the GSW
The Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 18:59   #21
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP TDI View Post
Interesting...

My GSW was purchased new in Baltimore and does have 7E6 (near the very bottom of the list). Assuming yours was originally sold in Conn., I can't believe there's that small a regional difference. Yours is a hatchback, right? Could it be HB vs. GSW? A logical explanation eludes me.
Originally Florida. Hence why I thought it might be a 'Hot Country-only' model.

But apparently that doesn't exist?

Most likely it just comes down to typical VW assembly line randomness.
Old October 8th, 2019, 19:59   #22
RIP TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Popaleetus View Post
Do you have "7E0: W/o heat accumulator/auxiliary heating" on your sheet?

I'm wondering if the heating hardware is present on all cars in a national market but activated in some and not others, with the build sheet reflecting whether it was activated or not at the factory. That begs the question: is there an activation adaption or long code change in VCDS? Do I remember a post about this a few years ago or is this just wishful thinking?
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Old October 8th, 2019, 22:47   #23
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Here is everything, in order, that is (or could be) relevant to the discussion on my manifest:

8GU - 140A Alternator
0Y4 - Climatic zones: Cold and tropical climatic zones (US).
8Z6 - Engine cooling system: Hot country.
7E0 - Heat accumulator system/auxiliary heater: W/o heat accumulator/auxiliary heating.
9M0 - Auxiliary heater: Without auxiliary/parking heater.
Old October 9th, 2019, 04:24   #24
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

OK so evidently this electric heater is NOT part of the cold country packaging on the A7s, or at least, not on yours.

The "parking" heater is the fuel fired one, Webasto and Ebersbacher are the two big suppliers of these. No US spec Volkswagen after the Vanagon has had one of these available.

ETKA shows two PR codes for the electric heater, 7E6 and 7E0, with 7E6 showing the part number and 7E0 simply stating "not for this model".

It kinds of sounds like the heated seats in older cars. Some had it, as part of a "Cold Weather Package", but it was not specifically part of the Cold weather country buildout, which by default all US spec cars are.

Question is, did anyone at a dealer actually have the ability to line item order that or not. Ordering for the US market has always been spotty.

Last edited by oilhammer; October 9th, 2019 at 04:30.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 04:37   #25
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

I've toyed with the idea of buying the electric heater core off eBay for ~$40 or so and installing it. But I've found the EA288 heats up much faster than the EA189 as intended to the point I can't be bothered.

But looking at this thread and the other, it seems that all GSW's have it while the hatchbacks do not. So I'll submit that as my answer.

Last edited by JM Popaleetus; October 9th, 2019 at 04:55.
Old October 9th, 2019, 04:46   #26
RIP TDI
Veteran Member

Here's mine:

8GU - 140A Alternator
0Y4 - Climatic zones: Cold and tropical climatic zones (US)
8Z6 - Engine cooling system: Hot country
7E6 - Heat accumulator system/auxiliary heater: Electric auxiliary air heater
9M0 - Auxiliary heater: Without auxiliary/parking heater
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Old October 10th, 2019, 06:13   #27
740GLE
Veteran Member

what part of this discussion is about AC issues?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 22:28   #28
Ooga

Quote:
So again, without overthinking this, scan tool ---> verify coding, check pressure (scan tool pressure, I do not care what a gauge says)
How come you don't care what a gauge set would read? Im not familiar with vehicle specific stuff but in my world we love verifying with gauges. Thanks for whatever education I'm about to receive.
Ooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2019, 04:19   #29
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Because that is the output, we want to check the input first. In the input is bad, then you already know the output will be bad.

Plus, and I have to educate the masses at our shop on this repeatedly, every single time you hook gauges up to an automotive A/C system, you've discharged it some. Every. Single. Time. The level of refrigerant just is not that much. The volume to fill the machines hoses and valving inside is not an insignificant percentage of the total volume of refrigerant on so many of these modern cars. And these cars are VERY picky about having the correct charge.

A Civic will be working just fine... if you put gauges on it, just the act of "checking" the pressures... it will no longer work as it was prior. They are THAT sensitive.

The cars in question have a pressure sensor (high side). That value can be monitored via the Climate's data blocks. No need to mess with any gauges for that. If you have exhausted all other control side means, and you still feel like something is not right, but the system IS working, then perhaps as a last ditch diagnostic tool. Otherwise, the only time the service ports get touched is if the system is going to be evacuated and recharged (for whatever reason... we often do this to service something altogether unrelated to the A/C system).
Old October 11th, 2019, 16:33   #30
Ooga

Quote:
Because that is the output, we want to check the input first. In the input is bad, then you already know the output will be bad.
Plus, and I have to educate the masses at our shop on this repeatedly, every single time you hook gauges up to an automotive A/C system, you've discharged it some. Every. Single. Time. The level of refrigerant just is not that much. The volume to fill the machines hoses and valving inside is not an insignificant percentage of the total volume of refrigerant on so many of these modern cars. And these cars are VERY picky about having the correct charge.
A Civic will be working just fine... if you put gauges on it, just the act of "checking" the pressures... it will no longer work as it was prior. They are THAT sensitive.
The cars in question have a pressure sensor (high side). That value can be monitored via the Climate's data blocks. No need to mess with any gauges for that. If you have exhausted all other control side means, and you still feel like something is not right, but the system IS working, then perhaps as a last ditch diagnostic tool. Otherwise, the only time the service ports get touched is if the system is going to be evacuated and recharged (for whatever reason... we often do this to service something altogether unrelated to the A/C system).
Makes complete sense. We have cool little pressure readers we like to use that don't have lines for the same reason on small systems. thanks for the info.
Ooga is offline   Reply With Quote