www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old October 3rd, 2019, 21:32   #16
bigb
Veteran Member

My main reason for posting was to find out if additives are any different for this engine than the older engines I am used to. In the old diesels you could pour practically anything that burns into the tank but I am not familiar with what is safe, what is recommended or what is forbidden on the late model SCR systems. From the answers here and on older threads it seems apparent to me that none over the counter additives will hurt the EA288 fuel system. Whether or not they will help it seems to be subjective. (Just like on the older Pre-DPF diesels). Of course I wouldn't put some of the stuff into the tank that guys put in the old diesels like waste oil, tranny fluid and 2-stroke oil. I don't even do that on my older diesel.
So yes my questions have been answered and I will make an informed decision from here, thanks for all the replies.
Moderator close thread if you wish.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 22:24   #17
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

All commercial additives have to be compatible with diesel and all diesel vehicles. So they can be used in any diesel vehicle if you so choose. The only question is if they help any at all. That answer can't be found without extensive laboratory testing which I have yet to see any. That Hotshotsecret LX4 Lubricity Extreme has some of the best HFRR scores I have seen though. That is the only reason I am trying it now. I have tried at least 12 different additives and have never been able to tell any difference. That is why I just started using diesel with some bio in it (<5%) instead. Right from the pump, no extra cost, good lubricity, don't have to carry some really stinky lingering potion around. There will always be those that are pouring just about anything available in their tank and willing to claim it is the best. Many, many threads here to back that up, any time someone even mentions additives. Probably the most discussed thing here next to "What oil is best".
Old October 4th, 2019, 07:09   #18
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundershorts View Post
In Pennsylvania b5 is the mandate. In addition we have the highest diesel fuel tax of any state.
We drove to TN this past april, thank god we have 800 range tank and skipped fueling in PA it was like a 40 cents more expensive than VA, lol.

Also check to see if they lift that B5 "requirement" in the winter months.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 14:06   #19
sloinker
Veteran Member

I think the danger exists at the terminal when the fuel is loaded on the tanker. The fuel without any lubricity modifiers is heating oil. If the terminal operator or truck driver fails to add the lubricity additive, ULSD without any lubricity modification may well harm some fuel pumps. So the cheap cost of a few ounces of whatever you may use will probably not harm but could well save a fuel pump if there was negligence along the way to your tank.
Old October 7th, 2019, 15:34   #20
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

It could, but I would imagine there is only a very, very small chance of that happening. The fuel supplier would be at fault and liable for all the damages caused by that. There would be many ruined vehicles if that happened. It isn't cheap if you are preparing for a almost never occurrence. Especially when someone else will be on the hook for the tab. But they did have very good results with untreated depot fuel and it would seem to protect you if that rare occurrence happened.
Old October 7th, 2019, 19:22   #21
bigb
Veteran Member

Sloinker brings up a good point, one that I had not thought of, I think that something like that could happen more often than we know but I don't think one or two tanks of it would take out the pump right away, might never know what caused an early pump failure. I have heard of several instances where gasoline was put into the underground diesel tanks by mistake, and I am one of those who seems to have unlikely things happen to me. I will probably start adding at least some Opti-Lube since I have a lot of it for my other diesel.
Old October 7th, 2019, 22:10   #22
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Generally when this happens cars start dying blocks from the station. Assuming they put a good amount in. I don't know how much good optilube would do with gasoline contamination anyway. That isn't depot fuel and would be hard to treat a heavy combination of gas with diesel. Adding any additive probably isn't going to help against a heavy dose of gas cross contamination.
Old October 8th, 2019, 08:25   #23
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloinker View Post
I think the danger exists at the terminal when the fuel is loaded on the tanker. The fuel without any lubricity modifiers is heating oil. If the terminal operator or truck driver fails to add the lubricity additive, ULSD without any lubricity modification may well harm some fuel pumps. So the cheap cost of a few ounces of whatever you may use will probably not harm but could well save a fuel pump if there was negligence along the way to your tank.
Lol, you think they have special blends for each use? and unlimited storage tanks for each?

The only thing now a days between home heating oil, off road diesel and on road diesel is the dye for off road diesel.
Old October 8th, 2019, 13:02   #24
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

I highly, highly doubt the truck driver or guy operating the tanker’s pump is the minimum wage schmuck who is dosing the additives package. Most likely a Petroleum Engineer entirely somewhere else.
2010 VW Jetta TDI Buyback

Last edited by JM Popaleetus; October 8th, 2019 at 14:51.
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 14:03   #25
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I doubt the person dosing the loads with additives is a minimum wage schmuck either. More than likely computer controlled.
Old October 8th, 2019, 14:49   #26
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I doubt the person dosing the loads with additives is a minimum wage schmuck either. More than likely computer controlled.
Exactly. My grammar was a little off there. Petroleum Engineers and computers are doing the dosing. Not the guys filling tanks.
2010 VW Jetta TDI Buyback
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 18:16   #27
sloinker
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Lol, you think they have special blends for each use? and unlimited storage tanks for each?
The only thing now a days between home heating oil, off road diesel and on road diesel is the dye for off road diesel.
I just spent some time looking. The only part of the country that requires 15ppm or less sulfur in home heating oil is the Northeast United States. Other parts of the country don't have this mandate required by law. Now chances approach 100% that HHO is 15ppm or less wherever you may go nowadays.

My point is that the terminal or transport operator may make a mistake. Lubricity modifiers are not required in HHO. I have heard on a few different boards about truck drivers adding brand specific additives to generic gasoline. Techron is an example. It doesn't take any stretch of the imagination to see a truck driver adding 5 gallons of Howes to a 3000 gallon tag tank of 15ppm HHO, or not.
Old October 9th, 2019, 06:36   #28
740GLE
Veteran Member

I may have to eat crow, I forgot HHO isn't blended for gel point similar on road/off road diesel. I was more focused on ULSD and the 15PPM region wide.

I'd still wager each load is the same as far a lubricity and then modified for gel point as needed.
Old October 9th, 2019, 07:39   #29
bigb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Generally when this happens cars start dying blocks from the station. Assuming they put a good amount in. I don't know how much good optilube would do with gasoline contamination anyway. That isn't depot fuel and would be hard to treat a heavy combination of gas with diesel. Adding any additive probably isn't going to help against a heavy dose of gas cross contamination.
I didn't mean an additive would help in the event of a gasoline contamination, I was saying that if a gasoline contamination can happen why couldn't an additive mistake happen?
Old October 9th, 2019, 08:10   #30
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Anything "can" happen. But the chances are slim in my opinion. Chances are probably higher you will crash the car and be killed than that happening. That is a fairly common occurrence. I have gone through 3 tanks using the Hotshotsecret and probably won't continue once the bottle is used up. If I was in a place where diesel was unreliable or something I think it would be good to have. But pump fuel here has been fine and I still see no need for additives.