www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old March 21st, 2015, 11:27   #31
inthered
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

I wouldn't kick it in neutral and coast/brake. Others will tell you to do it to replace brakes not engines however do you do the same thing in an automatic? Seriously who throws their automatic into neutral down a hill? Maybe just a few and some of those few are probably hyper milers.

Leave the car in gear maybe drop 1 gear and use the brakes appropriately. I wouldn't downshift gears to the point where you are at 3,000 rpm or anything.

It's also a safety decision to do this as well.

Before I get flamed I'm also a professional driver and driving instructor for a Fortune 50 company.
Old March 27th, 2015, 07:49   #32
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

I hope you're not the one training OTR truck drivers to camp in the middle lane of three all day.
Old March 29th, 2015, 01:35   #33
wrenchman30
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 best befor egr much better now

almost three pages of people who do not know how engine brakes work,

so I will try to explain it so you understand

a diesel engine is high compression gas is not so more force is required to compress the air

at exactly 2 degrees before top dead center the exhaust valve is held open to get maximum compression but yet dump the air into the exhaust (think large air compressor at this time)

the compressed air in the exhaust speeds up the turbo making more boost thus making more engine braking (more air in cylinder to compress)

exhaust brakes (flap that plugs the exhaust) does the same thing just a lot more ineffective since the boost dump is absent
wrenchman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 05:57   #34
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

Guess what? I don't care how engine brakes work.....this a car not a truck.....
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 21:26   #35
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchman30 View Post
almost three pages of people who do not know how engine brakes work,

so I will try to explain it so you understand

a diesel engine is high compression gas is not so more force is required to compress the air

at exactly 2 degrees before top dead center the exhaust valve is held open to get maximum compression but yet dump the air into the exhaust (think large air compressor at this time)

the compressed air in the exhaust speeds up the turbo making more boost thus making more engine braking (more air in cylinder to compress)

exhaust brakes (flap that plugs the exhaust) does the same thing just a lot more ineffective since the boost dump is absent

TDIs do neither of these things.
Old March 31st, 2015, 22:12   #36
fxk
Veteran Member

(sigh)
Not going to hurt an engine using engine braking unless it's already broke.
Don't redline the engine trying to get enough braking. Redlining is a no-no whether it is under power or unfueled.
Manual gearboxes will give one better access in general to whatever engine braking is available than auto/slush/dual-clutch.
All IC engines will have some degree of engine braking. Gas engines typically have more engine braking capability than diesels.
Thems is the facts. Plain and simple.
Over and out.
frank

Last edited by fxk; March 31st, 2015 at 22:21.
fxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 11:18   #37
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

I'm not sure how a manual gives you better access to engine braking than a DSG.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:26   #38
fxk
Veteran Member

If nothing else, manual control of the clutch engagement.
Also possible to skip gears, rather than rolling through the box sequentially.

I know some autos have one-way clutches that allow the tranny to freewheel rather than leave the "gears" engaged for engine braking.

I do not know if / how much is programmed into the dual clutch tranny.
fxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 06:28   #39
Grahamexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthered View Post
I wouldn't kick it in neutral and coast/brake. Others will tell you to do it to replace brakes not engines however do you do the same thing in an automatic? Seriously who throws their automatic into neutral down a hill? Maybe just a few and some of those few are probably hyper milers.

Leave the car in gear maybe drop 1 gear and use the brakes appropriately. I wouldn't downshift gears to the point where you are at 3,000 rpm or anything.

It's also a safety decision to do this as well.

Before I get flamed I'm also a professional driver and driving instructor for a Fortune 50 company.

Hi, my dad was a driving instructor and he taught me the things he knew well and thought right. But when I went to a driving school, they just ignored those aspects. It seems to me that not all professional drivers can know everything about the car.
And specific situations and cars/trucks require additional knowledge.

The problem is that drivers are lacking important skills. And it's often a psychological/age gap between an instructor and a trainee. And here's what makes a good driver: https://transfersmagazine.org/what-makes-a-good-driver/

I noticed that the modern youth is often overestimating their knowledge and skills and even during driving lessons they think they know everything. So a driving school and practical training courses are crucial - for anyone who is looking for a driving school, don't be afraid of your instructor, choose locally https://drivingschoolnear.me/ - and just pay attention to the details.

Last edited by Grahamexl; September 15th, 2019 at 06:29. Reason: added information
Grahamexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 06:23   #40
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I'm not sure how a manual gives you better access to engine braking than a DSG.

well there was that elusive over run feature that hasn't been confirmed on the 2012 Passats.

Either way our '15 will down shift and hold the car back pretty good around 3000rpms. It only downshifts when you hold the brake pedal consistent for 5+ seconds or so.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 17:27   #41
BroncoAZ
Veteran Member

My 2015 6MT will gain some serious speed going down mountain grades. At the top of the hill on I-17 about 30 miles south of Flagstaff if I start the hill at 80 the car will be doing 100+ at the bottom without input from me. Downshifting to 5th or 4th doesn’t make much difference, so I use the brakes. I just replaced my rotors last month, they were badly warped. Rather than riding the brakes down the hill I give them a firm application to get down to 75 prior to each place where the patrol cars like to sit and then let it coast back up to 83 or so before braking again. We’ll see how long these brakes last, the Zimmerman rotors and ceramic pads are great so far.

In my former Touareg TDI I would manual shift back to 7th gear and it would hold 80 down the hill nicely.

Former TDI’s: 2009 Jetta TDI - traded 09/2013, 2011 Touareg TDI - Bought back 2/26/2018
My Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins
Wheelin Rig: 1987 Ford Bronco http://www.supermotors.net/registry/13
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 21:30   #42
Ramosian

Being a person who drives both a 15 liter diesel and a 2 liter TDI, most of you don't understand engine braking of diesels. At 40 tons, you learn a lot about slowing on downgrades. Dropping one gear makes a lot of difference to the point of not needing the jake. In terms of the TDI, my Passat will slow dramatically more, with it's 2 liter and weighing only 400 pounds less than my Mazda CX-7 that has a 2.3 liter gas engine. Both of these vehicles are turbocharged, and both have some form of select-able automatic transmission. In the gasser, I will gear down to a gear that puts the rpms up roughly 1000 more than in the TDI.