www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 31st, 2019, 19:24   #286
jhonster

Fuel Economy: 42-50 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike14VW View Post
Whatever you guys wanna think, changing the clogged/dirty fuel filter will maximize air/fuel ratio and as result, gas mileage will increase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Thatís just an incorrect statement. The maximizing of the A/F ratio is done by the oxygen sensor & the feedback controls. Stoichiometric fuel mixes come from the emissions system toggling rich/lean to achieve stoichiometricity & thus maximizing the air/fuel ratio. A plugged or restricted fuel filter will usually affect power, but you can still have a maximized air fuel ratio.
jhonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2019, 19:40   #287
jhonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
LOL, you guys kill me. Seriously, if any 4 cyl TDI was getting 29 MPG you'd have a constant black cloud following you around. There simply isn't any way the engine could consume that much fuel. Or you have a fuel leak.
So. Iíve been meaning to post this for a while now.
Bought a 2013 Jetta sportwagen TDI in Feb of this year. Had a 2010 before this one that always got high 30ís (38mpg) on average. This one on the other hand has been getting 22-25mpg since I bought it. It had 93k when I bought it. Supposedly had the emissions update done (sticker under the hood). And the hi pressure pump just failed which was covered by VW about a month ago. So, with 98k on the car, and the timing belt 30k away, I had the dealer also replace the timing belt, tensioners, water pump, etc. I was hoping after all that work, that the mileage would pickup back to what my 2010 used to get. I drive mostly freeway & steady state 75-90mph. The car runs great & has plenty of power. Although the check eng light just came on & has stayed on. Code P2002 (8194 fac VW code) particulate trap bank 1 efficiency below threshold. The light 1st came on last Friday & it hasn't gone off. It's failed the testing parameter 4 times now. Any common failures that cause this issue where MPG is around 22?
Old July 31st, 2019, 23:27   #288
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I read another post saying clogged dpf's can cause this. Either not regenerating properly or clogged or something else broken causing this to occur.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; July 31st, 2019 at 23:29.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 16:16   #289
jhonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I read another post saying clogged dpf's can cause this. Either not regenerating properly or clogged or something else broken causing this to occur.
But the mileage issue has been constant since I bought it in Feb. The check eng light issue with the DPF is just within the last week. Iíve been tracking the mileage since I bought the car 5 months ago.
Old August 28th, 2019, 11:33   #290
jhonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
LOL, you guys kill me. Seriously, if any 4 cyl TDI was getting 29 MPG you'd have a constant black cloud following you around. There simply isn't any way the engine could consume that much fuel. Or you have a fuel leak.
Well. Iíve got a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI that is currently getting 23 to the gallon. Yup. Itís been that way since I bought it in Feb of 2019. Iíve checked every tankful for months & thousands of miles. Itís crap.

I had the high pressure Fuel pump just crap out & the dealer replaced it at no charge. Had them do the TB, tensioner & water pump at the same time. The emissions update was done before I bought the car (sticker is there under the hood). The Ck eng light just recently popped on & the car has both a catalyst low efficiency code & an EGR code as well. Iím just going to take it back to the dealer & tell them to fix the check eng light & complain about the terrible mileage.
Old August 28th, 2019, 12:08   #291
_Colty_

Fuel Economy: 52.5mpg on my 48 mile round trip to work. Stop and go on the way back too. :)

Was getting 40-44mpg. Got a CEL for DPF efficiency blah blah. Warranty magic and 50-55mpg. Mine is a 2 door manual and I engine brake like a crazy person and draft a reasonable amount, but it made a big difference. VW will likely warranty it if you even have a "pending fault" which a cheap $12 amazon OBD2 to Bluetooth scanner (with Torque pro) will be able to tell you about.
_Colty_ is offline   Reply With Quote