98 Jetta TDI Instrument Cluster removal

wbergtdi

TDI
1998 and 2002 Jetta TDI's
Can some one tell me how to remove the instrument cluster? I assume that is the only way to gain access to the lights. One of the lights is out on the right side.

Diesel Dude

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997, Dark Green
You are in luck

I just had my cluster out about an hour ago. Not a bad job.
1) Disconnect the battery ground.
2) Move the steering wheel to the lowest position.
3) Pry the plastic trim left of the light switch toward the drivers seat gently. It will pop off.
4) The light switch can now be removed. On the left side of the switch if youlook in the hole left by the removed trim there is a plastic catch. This has to be pushed to the right to remove the switch. Once the lock is released the switch will pull straight out far enough to remove the harness connecter.
5) Move to the piece of trim on the right of the cluster. It will pry off in the same way as the one on the left.
6) There are now 2 screws exposed (one on each side of the cluster trim) that need to be removed.
7) This trim piece was a little bit stuck on my car, but gently prying and wiggling freed it up and it pulled out.
8) Now there are two more screws, one on each side holding in the cluster. Remove them.
9) The cluster can now be tilted down to access the 2 electrical plugs, there are two tabs along the long side of each of the connecters that need to be squeezed before you can remove them.
10) Now the cluster can be lifted up and pulled directly out of the opening.

Notes - The illumination bulbs have a green or blue socket and are 2 watts and the indicater bulbs are 1.1 watts and are orange. You have to just twist the sockets a quarter turn and they will come out.

Good luck

wbergtdi

TDI
1998 and 2002 Jetta TDI's
Thanks Diesel Dude

Friday 1/5/2007 bulb replacement a success.

Diesel Dude your instructions were excellent.

Thanks very much. :)

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Are these bulbs a dealer item or can you get them at an Autozone or Advance Auto,or Napa?Stock ones are green, anybody try a different color?

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
Diesel Dude said:
Notes - The illumination bulbs have a green or blue socket and are 2 watts and the indicater bulbs are 1.1 watts and are orange. You have to just twist the sockets a quarter turn and they will come out.
I was just thinking about doing this myself.The current Green doesn't match my Alpine or my Sirius Blue.

Anyone Instal Blues? Any Pics?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Awesome directions. I've been procrastinating replacing my burned out CEL. Now it looks too easy to ignore. ;)

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
They are white lightbulbs. The green comes from the color of tint.

I've always hated the green (back to my A2 days).

I have red cluster now. I ordered red LEDs from http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

I then very carefully took apart the cluster (it's not glued like the A2s!) and took out the color fiters. I then put it back together and used the color of LED that I wanted. The pictures don't show the true color. These are as red as red can get, the red LED color. The ones behind the LCDs are amazing because you're looking directly at them. The ones at the top... I could go either way. Some days I like them and some days I wish it lit up more. You can kind of see the 2 'hot' spots. This is because LEDs are directional, I got the wide angle viewing, but it's still not as uniform white bulbs going through a translucent filter. I am considering getting a 8" light bar and putting that in at the top for uniform light.

If you search the vortex, people have gone red, blue, UV, you name it and someone's probably done it over there.

codeblue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Vento GLX TDI
I am using 4 5mm LED's, all blue, 1 for each LCD screen and 2 up top to light the speedo and tach. Unfortunately it doesn't really light up the fuel gauge or coolant gauge as much as I want, but theres still a lot of light in the middle and top areas. If you are using 3mm LED's then you definitely want to get a light bar up there.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Well, after I went to dealer on Fri., I went to Ohio Fri. night-hit a bump on Thruway, and the right top cluster bulb came back on- guess I don't need to pull dash apart now!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Diesel Dude said:
3) Pry the plastic trim left of the light switch toward the drivers seat gently. It will pop off.
4) The light switch can now be removed. On the left side of the switch if youlook in the hole left by the removed trim there is a plastic catch. This has to be pushed to the right to remove the switch. Once the lock is released the switch will pull straight out far enough to remove the harness connecter.
5) Move to the piece of trim on the right of the cluster. It will pry off in the same way as the one on the left.
6) There are now 2 screws exposed (one on each side of the cluster trim) that need to be removed.
7) This trim piece was a little bit stuck on my car, but gently prying and wiggling freed it up and it pulled out.
8) Now there are two more screws, one on each side holding in the cluster. Remove them.
9) The cluster can now be tilted down to access the 2 electrical plugs, there are two tabs along the long side of each of the connecters that need to be squeezed before you can remove them.

Good luck
is the procedure any different on the 1997 Jetta?

we were trying to get the cluster out of my dads jetta last night (to get the to glow plug fuse :( )

we got stuck after # 6 here. we got the two screws out at the bottom of the cluster trim, but when we pulled on it, it seemed like it was connected behind the dash vents at the top.

does the trim need removed from the steering column?

seems like the 1997 might be a little different unless we just need to try a little harder to get the top of the cluster trim away from the dash. it sure seemed like there were screws or something connecting it behind the vents..

grr.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Growler said:
is the procedure any different on the 1997 Jetta?
we were trying to get the cluster out of my dads jetta last night (to get the to glow plug fuse :( )
we got stuck after # 6 here. we got the two screws out at the bottom of the cluster trim, but when we pulled on it, it seemed like it was connected behind the dash vents at the top.
does the trim need removed from the steering column?
seems like the 1997 might be a little different unless we just need to try a little harder to get the top of the cluster trim away from the dash. it sure seemed like there were screws or something connecting it behind the vents..
grr.
You might have to swing your adjustable steering wheel all the way down to get it to come out.

TDI
98 Jetta

Good luck
IT'S EASY - GO FOR IT

#4) The light switch MUST be removed for access to the left cluster bezel screw. The latch is on the top of left side of the light switch assembly.
#7) The top of the bezel trim is held with tabs. Insert flat screwdriver about 1" down from top corner of trim and gently pry handle outwards - should pop right out.
#9) My 98 Jetta TDI had white upper connector, red lower connector.

1.1W = 4A0 919 040 C
2.0W = 893 919 040 A
Dealer wants $4.95 each. Online as low as a buck (search these PNs).

Looks like you might be able to use standard bulbs (#74 is 1.2W, I think #723 is 2.4W) but you'd have to do some surgery & solder to remove/replace bulb from the plastic base. Also could go LED this route.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
I may need to get into mine to see if the CEL light is burned out. I have a 00750 fault code with 31-10. It's the only fault code left, after much vacuum tubing replacement.

Hoping I don't screw much up. The last time (this afternoon) I took off the battery cable and had the full lockout greet me when I re-connected. Not my idea of fun.

ptsal

TDI
98 Jetta TDI
How many replacement lamps needed?

If I were to replace all of the dash lamps, including the heat/air controls, how many do I need to buy? There are too many variations of Amazon ads for the 98 Jetta.
Thanks!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
two for cluster illumination,
one shared for the three rotary knobs for air flow,
one for headlight switch, might not be available separately
one each for the switches under the rotary knobs, might be unique and integral (non-replaceable) with a switch
one for the lighter socket, might not be available separately
radio illumination is all surface mounted LED, so none there

Last edited: