Bmw 520d

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
I just got back from the UK, where I was able to rent a BMW 520D Station Wagon for a few days. Thats a 2.0 Turbo with an auto box
We covered nearly 700 miles, with four adults and full trunk of luggage. Got 38US mpg from it. Could have done better but the right foot got heavier and heavier.

Makes me wish we could get that level of comfort, performance and economy here in the USA.......

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Aside from the automatic, I would LOVE one of those. And to get that engine in a wagon that isn't AWD I'd even live with the automatic.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
I'd never quite gotten the BMW vibe before. Now I do. Even without AWD. I'd be happy to drive this thing any day. Can't even get 5 series wagons here any more. Heck, cant even get Passat wagons either.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Hopefully they can get it to >90mpge... then I might be interested...

Every time you thread crap, I have to set another tire on fire. Luckily I won't ever run out. Tire smoke cloud vs. smug cloud. I can go for years. ;)

On topic:

I'd just like to see more WAGONS here, period. But a diesel 5 wagon would sure be nice. :)

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...But a diesel 5 wagon would sure be nice. :)
Or a B7 Passat TDI for that matter. I looked at a couple of BMW 328d wagons before deciding in the GSW. Not that much more room to justify the price and the Golf has that 11 year 162K mile warranty...

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Unfortunately mid-size wagon sedans are almost non-existent in the US primarily because Americans prefer SUVs to the ridiculously (my wording) level of something like a Mazda CX-3 (what's wrong with a Mazda 3 hatchback instead?).

Supposedly Americans like higher level vehicles (such as SUVs and trucks) for more 'comfort' and 'safety'. Apparently a wagon is not safe enough :(

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got back from the UK, where I was able to rent a BMW 520D Station Wagon for a few days. Thats a 2.0 Turbo with an auto box
We covered nearly 700 miles, with four adults and full trunk of luggage. Got 38US mpg from it. Could have done better but the right foot got heavier and heavier.
Makes me wish we could get that level of comfort, performance and economy here in the USA.......
Wow 38 MPG average with a mid-size diesel wagon is quite above average for an automatic transmission. My comparison baseline is the 2004-2005 Passat wagon TDI (BHW 2.0 engine) which was sold only with an automatic transmission in the US and if you filter the data in Fuelly you get somewhere around 32.5 MPG for an average with many thousands of miles behind it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
PD engines like in the Passat were never terribly efficient, and the now outdated transmission attached to the BHW engine was not great for fuel economy. Modern 8-speed automatics do much better. For example, BMW manages close to the same highway FE with its 2.0L 3 Series as a DSG 2.0L Jetta TDI, despite the BMW being substantially heavier and more powerful.

oilhammer

TDI
I think a lot of it depends on the gearing overall, regardless of how many gears there are. The highway fuel economy is really a matter of top gear + final drive.

The BHW only needs 2500 RPM to roll at 80, and never needs to downshift, which is still pretty good. I can get 40 in mine without too much effort, but 36-38 is more realistic. The 15" wheels help, too.

I wish my Golf only needed 2500 RPM for 80. 5th gear upgrade would be nice, but then for towing it would maybe become too much of a gap from 4th, as I generally do not tow anything above 70. But honestly, I don't tow with it that much.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Unfortunately mid-size wagon sedans are almost non-existent in the US primarily because Americans prefer SUVs to the ridiculously (my wording) level of something like a Mazda CX-3 (what's wrong with a Mazda 3 hatchback instead?).
Supposedly Americans like higher level vehicles (such as SUVs and trucks) for more 'comfort' and 'safety'. Apparently a wagon is not safe enough :(
Just saw an ad for This during the NCAA playoffs...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The Buick is getting lukewarm reviews. More Subaru Legacy than Audi Allroad.

oilhammer

TDI
I think station wagons are the cool "anti-SUV/CUV" thing to drive. And in many cases, they have just as much (if not more) interior room anyway.

But [American] consumers are not always swayed by common sense. Shame. The station wagon is probably my favorite body style of all.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I think station wagons are the cool "anti-SUV/CUV" thing to drive. And in many cases, they have just as much (if not more) interior room anyway.
But [American] consumers are not always swayed by common sense. Shame. The station wagon is probably my favorite body style of all.
For those of us wanting wagons, we are in the 'wrong country'. However the upcoming 2019 Ford Transit Connect has the word 'wagon' in it so perhaps there is some hope in the horizon :->

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
An American badge on a German-made wagon made by a French-owned company.
Say what you really mean about the French ;) :D . Opel was founded German before Rudolf Diesel's(incidentally born in Paris) engine but American-owned since the Weimar Republik.

Globalization is a wonderful thing. :)

oilhammer

TDI
And they are all full of Chinese parts now. Almost do not even need to diagnose anything anymore, just look for the part with "MADE IN CHINA"" on it, and replace.

In the last 10 days:

HVAC motor on a 2015 Passat

Washer motor on a 2015 Taurus

Washer motor on a 2014 Veloster

GEM module on a 2012 Transit Connect

Hatch actuator motor on a 2013 Durango

... it is crazy. And sad.

But hey, so long as cars have garbage short lived Chinaparts in them, and the now weekly Toyota Hybrid issues we see (today its a battery in a Camry), maybe I can stay busy enough post-Dieselgate to still earn a decent living until I die.

Last edited:

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
Every time you thread crap, I have to set another tire on fire. Luckily I won't ever run out. Tire smoke cloud vs. smug cloud. I can go for years. ;)
On topic:
I'd just like to see more WAGONS here, period. But a diesel 5 wagon would sure be nice. :)

Made my day. Thanks.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Ya, that 2.0 diesel in the BMW is great.
Plus the ZF 8 speed auto is getting about the same fuel economy as the manual. However, I would have loved a manual in my wagon. It's still possible with some work, maybe later after many miles.

Love BMW's new wagons, but the 5 series is a bit big for us.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Ya, that 2.0 diesel in the BMW is great.
Plus the ZF 8 speed auto is getting about the same fuel economy as the manual. However, I would have loved a manual in my wagon. It's still possible with some work, maybe later after many miles.

Love BMW's new wagons, but the 5 series is a bit big for us.
I think a 5 series wagon would be excellent but I probably could not afford it. The cargo space of the current 3 series wagon is too small in my view for a family car (average of two adults and two children for example). Something in the range of 35 to 40 cubic feet is required to make it a family car in my view.

At this point neither Toyota, Mazda, Nissan and Honda are planning to bring a mid-size wagon to the US. From time to time I see a Mazda 6 wagon that is probably more than 10 years old but that's about it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My Jetta Wagon served as a second family car throughout my kids' teen years. We took many a snowboarding trip (with Thule box on the roof), frequently with four people. Everything fit easily. Rear seat room was tight, but not intolerable (we're not big people). My attitude is as long as the car has as much room as a coach airline seat, you're good. Not sure many agree with me.

Volvo's S90 is a beautiful car. And at around $50K in base form, not absurdly priced.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
I think a 5 series wagon would be excellent but I probably could not afford it. The cargo space of the current 3 series wagon is too small in my view for a family car (average of two adults and two children for example). Something in the range of 35 to 40 cubic feet is required to make it a family car in my view.

At this point neither Toyota, Mazda, Nissan and Honda are planning to bring a mid-size wagon to the US. From time to time I see a Mazda 6 wagon that is probably more than 10 years old but that's about it.
Yea, it's quite subjective, and understandable.
I just find it amazing that the new 3 series wagon is now the same size as the older E39 5 series (early 2000s model).

Coming from really small cars, the new 3 series wagon (F31 chassis) is huge. We don't have kids yet though.