What did you do to your MKIV today?

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
Mine has been sitting around 38 the last few tanks. I need to get a belly pan since the po didn’t have it on when I bought it, but the winter front didn’t make much difference to mine. I usually cruise around 70mph.

I did change the air filter last weekend, and changed the fuel filter today. Last one I did was when I put the 11mm pump on last June, and I kept neglecting to do it. I also drained my catch can, and cleaned out the lines. I have to build another one with 3/4” fittings though at some point.

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI (totaled parts car) 2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Replaced my front struts with quick struts Monroe from advanced Auto. Definite pain in the a$$ had to weld up special tools and not really having a idea. Passenger side was definitely worse than drivers side. But all done drives nice oddly though my steering wheel is slightly cocked from center ??? Dont get that but it definitely drives like new. Also am waiting on my new air filter, fuel filter, and wheel bearings from idparts... That'll be Monday when I get home from work. On a side note idparts has oem wheel bearings on sale right now get El while they last!!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Get an alignment. You can't help but change it when installing new strut assemblies. And thanks for the order!

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
Ya I drove it to town last night and it didn't pull or anything but I unbolted the ball joint on the passenger side. It's odd to me because of the 3 holes I'd thought it woulda just bolted right back. Only noticeable thing is the steering wheel being cocked slightly. But definitely gonna take it to get a alignment.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The trick to doing struts WITHOUT needing an alignment is to NOT UNBOLT THE CONTROL ARMS OR KNUCKLE.

Yes, it's possible, even on the pax side. It doesn't LOOK possible for clearance reasons but it is; the trick is having a compressor that will work inside the wheel wells and to compress the springs on the struts before removing them. The driver side is easy but the pax side WILL clear. Been there done that and had the alignment checked afterward -- it was spot on.

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I think had I just unbolted the CV axle first I would have been fine. But I was trying to avoid removing skid plate and doing CV axle. Well I ended up having to do it anyways

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I assume the whole knuckle has to come off. I don't think I need ball joints just bought em because they were.on sale. So I'm not sure of I'm doing em now or not.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Yeah I assume the whole knuckle has to come off. I don't think I need ball joints just bought em because they were.on sale. So I'm not sure of I'm doing em now or not.
I've replaced a few joints like that and it always seemed better afterwards, one time I was trying to get an alignment and they said my outer tie rod was bad, just had it on the lift and it didn't have play but the boot was torn...when I started taking it off I noticed it was banana shaped and my other Jetta had an alarming amount of play from the inner tie rod...moral of the story is had I not been able to get the entire assembly for a few bucks more I probably wouldn't have seen these problems before spending time and lift time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
D4mn you... now I'm wondering how hard it is to put power seats into my car...

It's not very difficult. I've done it on 5 cars now. It takes about a couple hours to install the seats and power harness (memory install would take longer). That's my ad on vortex by the way, let me know if you're interested.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Finally got the 03 NB running with a freshly overhauled engine. Only took me three months...

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
on Friday I found my Malone Flashzilla with my 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 tune on it. I also located some rubber JSW floormats. Ill run by the carwash this afternoon to spray them off to make them look like new again.
Also, awaiting for Owain or Mark from Malone to get back to me on if/when I can put my Stage2 tune on my 2013 JSW. Meanwhile looking into downpipe with DPF decoy, shutter valve inserts, and researching possible upgrades to CR170 or GTB1756 or GTB2060 to jump to Stage3. I just don't want to go too big or have a lot of lag. I like when she spools in the lower RPMs.

Last edited:

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
I forgot to add, I had a ClearBra installed last Thursday. Installer accidently forgot to cover the headlights so its going back on Wednesday for Headlight protection and Interior UV Protection (tint).

I have some before pictures, Ill get after pix and post them.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Gave the car a good wash to get all the salt and grime off the undercarriage and body. Also took advantage of the spring like weather (0 degrees this time last week to 55 today!) to inspect and rotate my tires and give the under hood area and fluids a check. The car had a hard time starting in that brutal cold we had but it fire and once it smoothed out it ran like a champ!

BearForceOne

TDI
2001 Jetta, Tornado Red
I learned my heater core is leaking just as I'm about to be hit with another cold spell! Seems like I'll be without heat for the rest of this winter :(
Also found my injection pump to be leaking, gonna try to tackle those seals myself

Last edited:

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
Got my parts from idParts last night. So this morning I installed the new fuel filter and air filter. Time to get that alignment done and have them tell me if there's anything else work out in the front end and schedule a big weekend front end party.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Got to the JY to pickup a driver side mirror cap. Last week after it snowed a piece of ice flew off a semi and smashed my mirror cap to pieces. Thankfully the JY had a black mkiv sitting there with the cap in great shape. Saved me $45 over buying the whole mirror assembly.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Found this under the hood of IBW last night

Happily I need an oil change this weekend, so I can change the seals at the same time.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Oil cooler. Seals tend to leak with age. I don't know if these got renewed when we swapped engines, but nevertheless they have at least 90K miles on them.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I learned my heater core is leaking just as I'm about to be hit with another cold spell! Seems like I'll be without heat for the rest of this winter :(
Also found my injection pump to be leaking, gonna try to tackle those seals myself
Try some high blend Biodiesel (B99 if you can find it). Over time it will cause your seals to swell. Might save you from having to open it up.
Today I put new tags on my '03 and sprayed off some road crap.
If I get a chance later I'm going to turn off the dead goose lock noise:)