09 jsw door lock problems

dingdong

TDI
09 JSW DSG, 2015 GSW DSG
i'm curious if anyone else has had an issue like this. i have just started having problems with the door locks on my 09 jsw. it always pertains to the driver's side back door. the door will not always unlock when i use the fob which is a real pain in the butt because that's the door i need to open to put my older daughter in her carseat. it has also done a thing recently where my doors were locked using the fob but that same door didn't lock. when i opened it, it set off the car alarm. very strange. i'm trying to hold off taking it to the dealer for another 3,000 miles when i take it for the 20,000 service. any ideas what it could be?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Sounds like either the latch switch is bad or the connection to it is bad. See if the boot has popped off in the door jamb. Look for a chafed wire.

If the switch is bad the latch assembly will probably have to be replaced, but should be a warranty item.

Can you move the car seat to the passenger side?

dingdong

TDI
09 JSW DSG, 2015 GSW DSG
i will check the wires. i can't move the car seat though because i have a newborn sitting on the other side. thanks.

nedro018

TDI
2009 tdi dsg sportwagon
you may not own VCDS but before i began inspecting wires i would do a code scan. also, try enabling/disabling various door lock options like locking the doors and opening/closing the windows at same time, turning auto-lock on/off, etc. maybe you can"reset" something.

but the main thing is a fault scan, something should show up there.

and if you dont have VCDS, think about it. it pays for itself not in money but in your time. and when you take it to the dealer and say, "here's the fault i found, how long would this take to fix?" they tend to view you differently from then-on.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
nedro018 said:
you may not own VCDS but before i began inspecting wires i would do a code scan. also, try enabling/disabling various door lock options like locking the doors and opening/closing the windows at same time, turning auto-lock on/off, etc. maybe you can"reset" something.

but the main thing is a fault scan, something should show up there.

and if you dont have VCDS, think about it. it pays for itself not in money but in your time. and when you take it to the dealer and say, "here's the fault i found, how long would this take to fix?" they tend to view you differently from then-on.
This is true, but since the OP's still under warranty, let the dealer look at it. VCDS for a '09/'10 is ~$350.

Looking in the door jamb will take 2 minutes.

Jedi Wagen

TDI
2009 JSW DSG
This exact same thing started happening to mine (drivers side rear door) a couple days ago. It's going into the dealer for 20K service this week, and I'll let them fix it.

dingdong

TDI
09 JSW DSG, 2015 GSW DSG
interesting. mine only did it for a couple of days and then stopped and hasn't done it since. i was going to take it in but figured it would be a waste of time. i'm coming up for the 20,000 so maybe i will mention it then. let me know what they say.

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW TDI Black/Black, Pano, Avignons
In the first 40,000 miles on my 09 JSW, I had to have three of the four door lock actuators replaced (two under warranty, one out of pocket). Terrible design I guess. VW wouldn't take any responsibility for the one that happened at 36,500 miles. :rolleyes: The driver's door is the only original one still on the car.

-darren

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
My passenger front door did this last week and I went back later and it is working fine. I am due a 20K service in a couple of weeks, I will have them check it then...