2015 GSW, Really tired of Low profile tires.....

amafrank

TDI
'06 TDi jetta, '09 TDi jetta wagon, 15 TDi GSw
I have no idea if they actually affect mileage or not but I do know they won't handle the potholes worth a crap. 2 tires killed and one wheel with another tire dying slowly in a manner the tire shop said it has never seen. Its fizzing all over the tread when sprayed with soapy water. Air is leaking out over the whole tread. No holes through as in nails or other puncturing devices so it appears the inner is leaking into the core and its working its way to the surface slowly. Doesn't matter really, the tire is junk. These tires only have a little over 25K miles on them but I'm giving up. I ordered a set of 16 inch wheels from a 2010 and figure I'll toss the pressure sensors and put new stems in. The offset is the same as my wheels so no worries about rubbing bodywork.

I'm trying to decide if I should go with the 205-55-16's or the 215-55-16s. The 205s are about 1 tenth inch less diameter than the stock 225-40-18s and the 215s are about a tenth bigger. The difference is about 8 revs more per mile for the 205 and 7 less for 215. What is the thought on adding a little diameter vs reducing. I know normally the bigger tires will drop the engine revs a little but it looks like either way its not going to be very much here.
Any suggestions on tires to avoid or to look for?

Thanks
Frank

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I'm glad my S trim came with 16's stock (205/55). Cheaper to replace and better ride. Netting 55.7 mpg so far as well, so no issues with mileage.

The stock Conti ProContact TX's are holding up fine with very little wear through 25k miles, though I'm not exactly Evel Knievel either.

Last edited:

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
I installed 205/60/16 Pirelli P4's on mine to help with bad roads. They still corner as well as I want.

I think the TDI can handle a slightly taller tire without affecting drivability noticeably , especially with a tune.

Next set for me will probably be 215-60-16's

DSG's are probably less affected by taller tires, no clutch to finesse

So, the 215/55/16's should be great

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've found the speedometer is pretty close to accurate on my GSW with stock size 16s. If you go much larger the speedometer may read low, if that matters to you. I find the gearing tall enough with the manual transmission that I wouldn't go larger. But people here seem to like taller tires.

I don't know where you are, but roads here are terrible too, especially after the weather fluctuations we've had this past winter. I'm frequently grateful for the 15" wheels I run on my MKIV cars because of this. But the 16s on the new car have been OK...so far.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...I'll toss the pressure sensors and put new stems in. The offset is the same as my wheels so no worries about rubbing bodywork...
Your 2015 GSW does not have pressure "sensors" in the wheels, it uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to detect a higher tire rotation speed in the tire that is going flat.

Last edited:

amafrank

TDI
I'm not too worried about the speedo. According to the tire calculator the change will be less than one mile per hour either way at 70. My speedo seems to be reading pretty close though the fuel mileage numbers are off by 3-5 mpg when compared to actual fuel used and distance by the odometer.

I'm in the midwest where the freeze/thaw cycle has been bad this year with enough rain and snow to create a particularly bad environment for potholes. I've only lived here for 20 years but this has been a bad year according to all the locals I know.

I know the 2015 doesn't use tire pressure sensors. Thats why I'm going to toss them. The wheels I'm getting are from a 2010 Sportwagen and they did have sensors.

Thanks for the help

Frank

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
...I know the 2015 doesn't use tire pressure sensors. Thats why I'm going to toss them. The wheels I'm getting are from a 2010 Sportwagen and they did have sensors...
Oops! Misread that. My brain read "toss in" sensors...

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
I'm trying to decide if I should go with the 205-55-16's or the 215-55-16s. The 205s are about 1 tenth inch less diameter than the stock 225-40-18s and the 215s are about a tenth bigger. The difference is about 8 revs more per mile for the 205 and 7 less for 215. What is the thought on adding a little diameter vs reducing. I know normally the bigger tires will drop the engine revs a little but it looks like either way its not going to be very much here.
Yo Frank

I put 215-55/17s on my Golf right after I purchased it and had zero issues with handling, acceleration, or anything. Then I put 235-55/17s on my Golf without rubbing issues , but this is the maximum tire-wheel combination that can reasonably fit without cutting the fenders. If I go over a sleeping policeman in a spirited manner, it does squeal. Putting stiffer springs and/or higher quality dampers and/or new suspension bushings would probably solve this 'problem'. Oh and the Enkei wheels have a 48mm offset.

This is a 10% diameter increase over the stock size (225-45/17) so my speedometer and odometer are just whatever now. The speedometer read 3% slow before, so now it reads around 70 when the actual speed is 74-76 mph. The odometer is exactly 10% slower, however.

I haven't noticed much different in the handling or performance of the car. I mean, it does accelerate obviously slower, but that's about it (I would say 0-60 dropped from ~8.5 to ~9.0 or thereabouts). Also it tends to get lighter at around 125 - 130 mph compared to when I had the stock wheels and tires, likely due to the 1" taller airflow under the belly.

There is no point in fidgeting over a 205 vs 215 tire selection, in my opinion, because the difference in the cockpit is going to be negligible.

https://imgur.com/1G2muIp

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
While we're on speedos, I can confirm that with the S's stock 205/55-16's, the speedo is dead on, confirmed by GPS. You set cruise on 65 mph indicated, and you're doing 65 mph GPS-confirmed on Garmin, Waze, etc.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
While we're on speedos, I can confirm that with the S's stock 205/55-16's, the speedo is dead on, confirmed by GPS. You set cruise on 65 mph indicated, and you're doing 65 mph GPS-confirmed on Garmin, Waze, etc.
Ours actually reads ~2 MPH faster than what the Garmin says with the same size tires that you are running. Ours are Conti Pure Contact DWS.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ours actually reads ~2 MPH faster than what the Garmin says with the same size tires that you are running. Ours are Conti Pure Contact DWS.
Different tire must be the difference on yours.

One thing I'll add is that when my digital speedo (or CC) say 65, the needle on the speedometer itself looks to be at about 66, but I don't ever trust an analog needle on a VW. :p

amafrank

TDI
Thanks for all that info guys. I don't trust most of the electronics in my car.....needle or digital. The mileage is way off, the speedo is actually pretty close but most of the numbers seem more like guesses. I still haven't figured out why the nav system reads altitude in yards either.....
Frank

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
...The mileage is way off...
Check in the MK VII DIY sticky thread. There's a way to calibrate the MFD mileage to be in accordance with your hand calculations. I saw it somewhere in the list of VCDS tweaks.

chilichili

TDI
2000 Jetta SOLD, 2005.5 Jetta SOLD, 2015 GSW
I swapped the 18" Durbans for the standard 16" that come on the S model. I'm not sure of the name. Much better.

TDIAllen

TDI
2010 JSW DSG; 2016 Passat SE 1.8T
I could not find a tire installer that would mount any size other than the manufacturer's listed tire size for the 2010 JSW that I owned at the time.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I drove my 2015 GSW with the standard 17s up the Alaska Highway [Al-Can] and it's a rough road in many places. I keep the pressures high 36 to 38 psi normally. They did fine. In winter here, I use 16" with a larger aspect ratio. They work well with our spring messes on the roads.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
205-65-16 are great combo of width to sidewall for my liking Biolines 16-6.5". Another size up, 215-65-16 from the Passats may be a bit more common but are better suited on 16-7".

Fits on GSW and GSW 4mo and Alltrack no issues.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I could not find a tire installer that would mount any size other than the manufacturer's listed tire size for the 2010 JSW that I owned at the time.

With winter summer set up I've always brought rims to the local independent tire shop and just asked for the combo I want. They gladly take my money.

amafrank

TDI
I don't think I'll have trouble with the shop swapping out the wheels and tires. They have seen a lot of troubles with the low profiles and thought my swap is a good idea. Just waiting for wheels to show up.

Thanks for the suggestion of the sticky thread for fixing the MFD.

Frank

amafrank

TDI
Lots of interesting stuff in that thread. Turns out as you say that we are not alone....

got my new (2010) wheels in today and have setup a tire deal so waiting for the tires now. Should be done tues next and on the road again. I'm dropping the wheels off tomorrow so it will be a simple swap when I bring the car in. The shop has no problems doing this and it actually makes it easier for them so they're happy.
Timing is good to because the slow leaker is taking less time to leak down...not sure how long it has left. Crappy pirellis.

Frank

amafrank

TDI
Got the new tires put on today. The ride quality is amazingly better. I didn't realize how bad it was before til now. Still seems to handle, brake and accelerate fine. Won't know for a while how mileage is affected. Glad I did the switch. Anyone need some 18" wheels with pirellis that have about 30k on them?

Frank

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
See the USA in your TDI

Got the new tires put on today. The ride quality is amazingly better. I didn't realize how bad it was before til now. Still seems to handle, brake and accelerate fine. Won't know for a while how mileage is affected. Glad I did the switch. Anyone need some 18" wheels with pirellis that have about 30k on them?

Frank
I happen to know the USA is a big place. Can you narrow it down a bit? I'm in Anchorage, AK, for reference.

Thanks. :D

amafrank

TDI
Yes it is really big and Alaska is about 80% of it. I thought it showed in my signature but I guess it doesn't....I'm in eastern indiana so way east of you.

Frank

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
I've found the speedometer is pretty close to accurate on my GSW with stock size 16s. If you go much larger the speedometer may read low, if that matters to you. I find the gearing tall enough with the manual transmission that I wouldn't go larger. But people here seem to like taller tires.

I don't know where you are, but roads here are terrible too, especially after the weather fluctuations we've had this past winter. I'm frequently grateful for the 15" wheels I run on my MKIV cars because of this. But the 16s on the new car have been OK...so far.
I spoke to the dealer about having to change anything in the settings or electronics after going from 18 inch to 16 inch to make the mileage and speedometer correct on my 2015 GSW... they said that the car's electronics compensates automatically to the change. And I can confirm this because my Garmin matched the speedometer with both 16 and 18 on it.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I spoke to the dealer about having to change anything in the settings or electronics after going from 18 inch to 16 inch to make the mileage and speedometer correct on my 2015 GSW... they said that the car's electronics compensates automatically to the change. And I can confirm this because my Garmin matched the speedometer with both 16 and 18 on it.
Well, that's kind of correct. If you were running 225/40-18s, 205/55-16s are the same diameter. There's nothing to adjust.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tallest tire that fits the Alltrack is 27"it doesn't rub at the top but is closest at the rockers/mudflaps, I'm guessing this should also fit the TDI GSW

amafrank

TDI
Pretty handy tire size calculator here - https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Helped me find the size I ended up with. Its just 2 tenths of an inch larger diameter which is about as close as I could get with the 16" wheels. Not a lot of difference in size and no dragging on any parts with the wheels turned fully lock to lock. Its not banging anything going over bumps either. I think I'll take the airplane GPS on the road with me tomorrow. I have a short trip and it will be good to see what the speedo vs gps says. I didn't check this car before I swapped so its not really a good test. I did check the 2006 and the 2009 though and the 2006 read about 5 mph high at 70 and the 2009 is about right on from 30-70.

Frank