Randomly quits when driving

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat tdi, 1996 Passat B4V
1996 Passat TDI wagon. While driving shuts off for a few seconds. When it does that the radio goes to a different station.

After reading up I concluded it could be a relay 109. I had a spare black one and noticed it still did it. I have ordered a new grey one.

Is there anything else that could cause the motor to randomly shut down for a few seconds.

I have looked to see if any wiring chaffing by injection pump.

Hoping a new relay may fix the problem,

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
re update

After checking all wires by the injection pump and the battery terminal discovered that the small ground wire that is held on with a 10 mm bolt was loose. Not the main ground but the other small one. Would that cause the car to quit while driving. Had replaced the battery a few months ago and assume it was sloppy work by the installer, myself

Hoping that will be the problem fixed.

Every time I have had a bad ignition switch it would not start.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
A flaky 109 could cause it as well, I have a friend that had that condition with a 109 that would crap out after 20 minutes.

Those ground wires need to be maintained religiously. I am not sure what they all apply to but I do know that one provides ground to certain cluster features.

Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
check the connections and the socket for the 109. look for corrosion and loos fitment. Also check all the grounding points as well as on the harness.

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
re 109

Was the small ground wire on negative terminal that was lose. Everything working ok now.