What did you do to your MK7 today?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Without a doubt taking evaluations for same asset will be vastly different but what I at least see in NH is the tax rate s the varying factor to make up the difference.

We neighbor Bedford NH which is mighty hoity toity, no new single family construction is going for less than 600K, 3-5 acre lots at a minimum, plus a decent commercial/industrial base. The town evaluation just cracked $4 billion (ours is 1.7 billion), but their tax rate is actually lower than ours 18.95 vs ours of 24.58. No way in heck would moving our house 4-5 miles over the boarder would jack up the evaluation to equal the difference in that tax rate.

Yet every PTA member, FD, PD, and DPW worker rallies the votes town budget season to pass every single frigging spending suggested, its really crazy actually.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sounds like my town. All you have to do to get a budget addition passed is say the magic word: School. Values here are high, almost nothing under $500K. Mid-market is $1-2M.

But surprisingly it's a well-run town. I just joke that in MA the services you receive are inverse of the taxes you pay. Our taxes are pretty high, but we have no curbside trash collection, no street lights, and no water or gas on my street. No town sewage anywhere.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The DPW does love to plow 24/7 for any "snow event". I swear someones brother in law is in the snow plow cutting edge business, the number of times they are out plowing after two flakes hit the ground sparking a flying is quire.

We have retained our curbside pick up, and single stream recycling, I expect the recycling to disappear as costs seem to be sky rocking, twice to three time to recycle than to toss it in a landfill, that and people toss anything and everything in the recylcing bins.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Look, I live in CT, I get ****ed the most on taxes.

As for my MK7, just got the parts for a full MIB2 conversion from a wrecked 2018 SEL (meaning I'll retain factory nav) for about $380.

Also grabbed the metal pedals off off of it. Honestly not sure if I'm digging the metal dead pedal though. Might leave that one stock since it's half under a WeatherTech anyway.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you also get the glass display? thats the boss's sauce, i kinda want to snag the 8" non nav display, ive heard prices of 300-400 to pull it off if you source from ebay.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I filled it up this morning, then put the winter tires on this afternoon. one was flat,filled it up, and leaking around base of valve stem:mad:... got my valve stem tool out, sprayed some silicone at base, and spun it around a couple times-did slow the soap bubbles, but still leaks a little. I'll have to pick some stems up and replace it later this week. Changed the air filter, wasn't too bad for having 42k on it, topped off washer fluid with de-icer fluid...

shortydog

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2005 MK4 Jetta TDI
Shop installed bcracing coilovers a few days ago. Thanks to the forum I was able to use obd 11 to adjust the headlights.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Just drove the school commute and got home. Before I parked her I filled her up with some diesel. Just above 40 bucks and a bit over 10.5 gallons. Did 400 miles this time. Seems winter blend is starting to dip my mileage a few points. That or cooler weather she’s making more boost and using more go juice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That and denser air is harder to move through, so areo drag at speed is only worse.

Also with closed system of the TDI (MAF) no more boost can be made but it'll make boost with less effort.

Those open systems of the TSI with just a TMAP do make a bit more power.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I've been noticing that new Chevy's have an initial flash mode on the high mount brake light. I didn't know that was legal, but I know GM enough to know that they would not install it at basic equipment on new cars were it not legal. I searched and found an inexpensive device to allow this to happen on my Dub. I have not yet installed it, but it will be easy enough to do. I did check the operation with a 9V battery. The device allows you to wire to chose the rate of flash, which would vary depending on what lamps are on the high mount brake. Since mine are LED, I can choose the fast flash. When the brakes are activated the high mount will flash quickly 3 to 4 times before staying on. Those with incandescent can choose a slower flash rate. Hopefully, I'm not breaking any site rules to post this video of the operation. With the customer video clips at the bottom of the ad, you can see the flash rate varies depending on how you set it up. [Mods - OK to delete if I'm breaking thread rules. The device is available many places, but this URL shows several vid clips of how it works.] https://www.amazon.com/blinker-flas...ZZ8MNG9DGH8&psc=1&refRID=BYD6MPRN4ZZ8MNG9DGH8

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I finished swapping out my annoyingly problematic Morimoto HID kit to a Hylux HID kit in my Ed’s replicas. Let’s see if these are better. From what I am gathering in my experience and through talking to others Morimoto is not worth the hype.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Just my 2¢, but I find those things very annoying...

I've been noticing that new Chevy's have an initial flash mode on the high mount brake light. I didn't know that was legal, but I know GM enough to know that they would not install it at basic equipment on new cars were it not legal. I searched and found an inexpensive device to allow this to happen on my Dub. I have not yet installed it, but it will be easy enough to do. I did check the operation with a 9V battery. The device allows you to wire to chose the rate of flash, which would vary depending on what lamps are on the high mount brake. Since mine are LED, I can choose the fast flash. When the brakes are activated the high mount will flash quickly 3 to 4 times before staying on. Those with incandescent can choose a slower flash rate. Hopefully, I'm not breaking any site rules to post this video of the operation. With the customer video clips at the bottom of the ad, you can see the flash rate varies depending on how you set it up. [Mods - OK to delete if I'm breaking thread rules. The device is available many places, but this URL shows several vid clips of how it works.] https://www.amazon.com/blinker-flas...ZZ8MNG9DGH8&psc=1&refRID=BYD6MPRN4ZZ8MNG9DGH8

Koloss

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
I finished swapping out my annoyingly problematic Morimoto HID kit to a Hylux HID kit in my Ed’s replicas. Let’s see if these are better. From what I am gathering in my experience and through talking to others Morimoto is not worth the hype.

That's interesting to hear. I just bought Ed's Golf-R replicas (waiting for them to ship) and got the Hylux HID kit in the same package. I always wondered why he didn't use Morimoto!

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
That's interesting to hear. I just bought Ed's Golf-R replicas (waiting for them to ship) and got the Hylux HID kit in the same package. I always wondered why he didn't use Morimoto!

When I purchased mine from him he did... had to replace two different parts under warranty that were Morimoto parts and I still had issues.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Put the winter tires on - went with 205-60-16, which is a little taller; don't mind at all having an extra inch or so of clearance for when the snow flies here.

Did the same on our friends' 2015 Golf. And swapped out the LED bulbs I had put in the fog light (and VCDS-coded as additional DRLs) because he got pulled over for having fog lights that were "too blue"; no ticket, but given five days to present the car "fixed" at the local detachment.
[Insert rant about how really - this is the most pressing issue that the cops have to combat out on the roads? Not the drivers who forget to turn on their lights as the sun sets and drive with no taillights? Not the drivers scratching lotto tickets as they drive? Not those who put HIDs into reflector housings and blind oncoming traffic? etc. etc.)

Oh - and also dealt with this (the glass fell off the passenger side mirror(!?!):

I happened to have an extra from installing my folding mirrors.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Oh - and going into the net-zero "WDYDTYM7T" file, I changed the coding on my car
(KESSY) so that the doors would lock as I walked away from it - no need to touch the dimple on the driver/passenger door handle.

...and subsequently changed it back because
(a) it made my folding mirrors stop folding - no idea how/why; but as soon as I changed it back, folding mirrors worked again; and...
(b) it was probably a bit too "sensitive"; like, if I closed my door and went to open the back door, I had to be careful not to move much more than a third of a step away from the car, or else the doors all locked.

For those that want to try, though:
Autolock when leaving/away from the car
[05] Access/Start Authorization
Long Coding - 07 -> Long Coding Helper
Byte 2
Enable bit 4
Do it.
Done

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Just my 2¢, but I find those things very annoying...
I'm not pleased that you find them annoying. As long as it prevents one person not paying attention from rear-ending me as I brake, it's worth my effort and all the annoyances they have caused. Your mileage may vary.

Homerjj

TDI
1984 Jetta Turbodiesel, 1983 Caddy AAZ, 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
After some trial and error I got my DIY winter done. I'm happy enough with it for now

That's looks good! Can you elaborate on what you used & the procedure involved? I usually use the round foam pipe insulation.

thanks

TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
That's looks good! Can you elaborate on what you used & the procedure involved? I usually use the round foam pipe insulation.

thanks

I bought some marine vinyl/faux leather from a seller on eBay, some double sided velcro straps and stick-backed velcro. I taped over the whole grille and traced the pattern onto the tape for the lower grille then transferred that to the vinyl. I laced some velcro straps through the grille and stick some strips of the mating velcro to those and lined up the vinyl and pressed it onto the velcro straps so that everything lined up. I cut out the shape for one side of the upper grille from .040 plastic sheet and transferred that onto the vinyl. I left extra material on the top and bottom that would reach farther back through the grille and put some velcro on the top and bottom of the grille. Then I put the mating velcro strips onto the velcro on the grille and after cutting holes into the vinyl (to allow the prongs on the bottom of the grille that mate with the bumper to go through) I lined it up and press onto the velcro strips. Hopefully I explained that well enough

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
I bought some marine vinyl/faux leather from a seller on eBay, some double sided velcro straps and stick-backed velcro. I taped over the whole grille and traced the pattern onto the tape for the lower grille then transferred that to the vinyl. I laced some velcro straps through the grille and stick some strips of the mating velcro to those and lined up the vinyl and pressed it onto the velcro straps so that everything lined up. I cut out the shape for one side of the upper grille from .040 plastic sheet and transferred that onto the vinyl. I left extra material on the top and bottom that would reach farther back through the grille and put some velcro on the top and bottom of the grille. Then I put the mating velcro strips onto the velcro on the grille and after cutting holes into the vinyl (to allow the prongs on the bottom of the grille that mate with the bumper to go through) I lined it up and press onto the velcro strips. Hopefully I explained that well enough
As a Southerner, I find myself wondering "why?" Are you trying to keep the engine warmer?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
just don't forget to pull it off on those 60 degree days in jan/feb and your first regen ;)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You will get a code and CEL if you leave them on. I had a winter front on my 2013 Passat tdi and was driving it when the temps warmed up and got a cel. Pulled over and removed it after checking the code out. No further issues. I would only use it for sustained cold temps, unless you just like putting it on and removing it.

TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Yours looks cleaner. The other problem with bras is the whole thing about dust and moisture getting into the back of the bra, turning that mixture into a pasty abrasive....

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
just don't forget to pull it off on those 60 degree days in jan/feb and your first regen ;)
Agreeably the foam pipe insulation, which I use on my TDI, doesn't block the airstream so fully. Still, two years ago, I forgot to pull them off and drove from Anchorage to Whitehorse in June. The temp in Whitehorse was 31C. No warnings or problems with the boost. Averaged 4.55 L /100 km [51.7 MPG] on the trip. Your mileage may vary. :)

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
Hello. 2015 TDI Sportwagon. I believe I have Ed’s w/ Hylux bulbs.
Can I get pass side low beam out of housing without removing housing from car ?
Would like to get it out to verify exactly what bulbs I have.
Thank You. Dave