Faint "marble rolling in a tin" sound on accelerating

passat130

TDI
Passat Estate Sport 130
Upon accelerating I get a very faint noise of which I could only describe as a glass marble in the bottom of an empty soup tin, imagine holding the soup tin at the top and swirling in a circular motion with your hand, the marble circles the bottom of the tin.

The closest post I could find which sounded like it was this

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=98778&highlight=ringing+noise

Just wondering if this is the same sound or anyone can relate to this?! :)

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
I had a similar occurence when accelerating and turning right- a pebble had somehow got in an was rolling around on my aluminum skidplate. It was suprisingly loud.

TurboSlug

TDI
2000 Jetta
Could be your fuel pump. I've heard stories of it sounding like "Rocks in a can" before they quit.

Granted I've never heard it before or had the problem (thank goodnes), but I'll leave this to better experienced professionals to explain.

(That is where on of the guru's chime in) :D

dr.diesle

Veteran Member
TDI
92 golf tdi/01 golf tdi /02 golf tdi/04 jetta wagon tdi/vanagon westy tdi
a balled up cat converter will give a similar sound but havent seen one yet on a diesle gassers all the time also the bearing on the alternator may give a sound like that check all pulleys and so on in belt drive ...

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
Its cervesa bottle cap. I sometimes get that when I break hard. Every time I do maintenance on the car, I find spare parts hidden away... its like an easter egg hunt each time!

passat130

TDI
Passat Estate Sport 130
Thanks for suggestions. It does have a faint ringing sound to it as well which is why I thought it may be the link in OP which quite a few people experience.

passat130

TDI
Passat Estate Sport 130
car has just had an oil change, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter and the noise has gone. Hmmmmmm :confused:

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
change the oil = drop the belly pan to remove oil pan plug = bottle cap gone

Ben1000

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Baltic Green 5spd
passat130 said:
car has just had an oil change, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter and the noise has gone. Hmmmmmm :confused:
That's one heck of a neat trick P130... if only all mystery sounds were so easy. :D