Oil in Pipes from Turbo to Intake

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon TDI B4V Storm Gray 258k, 98 Jetta TDI 260k (retired for spare parts)
I Have recently restored my engine bay. I have replace a lot. Rebuilt Turbo, Cleaned and Pressure checked the Intercooler, New pipe clamps, and hoses, New Crankcase to Valve cover and Vent Valve. Compression test came in at 420 PSI per cylinder give or take 5 PSI. What else do i need to look at, or is it normal for there to be oil in these. I don't want a run away diesel thats for sure Any help would be great

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
100% normal. about 1 cup or 1/4 of a quart is a fully healthy system to have drained out of the intercooler. I just had a runaway early this year and it was a oil bath. about 1 quart drained within 5 miles.

Feel the play on the turbo, should be a small amount but not much, and almost no forward back play, some side to side is typical but should not be much.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
1 cup is 8oz... in my mind, that’s excessive. Personally, I’ve never had that much pour out.

I’d think 2-3oz is acceptable.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Ditto what Todd said, that's excessive in my book. If I drained a full cup of oil out of my IC I'd have to start looking for the problem.

I would consider a quarter cup to be the tolerable limit depending on how long it was from the last check.

Steve

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon TDI B4V Storm Gray 258k, 98 Jetta TDI 260k (retired for spare parts)
Ok, yeah I don't have that much at all. Turbo is a quality Rebuild so I shouldn't have any issues there. My pipes were leaking due to clamps not being tightened enough. My concern is why am I consuming Oil....Not a ton. Thought I drove 3K and noticed less than a quart missing.....all along I had a pretty good drip from my intercooler lines not realizing my pipe clamps were not tightened enough. I need new Hydraulic lifters they are not working properly and making a lot of chatter.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Ok, yeah I don't have that much at all. Turbo is a quality Rebuild so I shouldn't have any issues there. My pipes were leaking due to clamps not being tightened enough. My concern is why am I consuming Oil....Not a ton. Thought I drove 3K and noticed less than a quart missing.....all along I had a pretty good drip from my intercooler lines not realizing my pipe clamps were not tightened enough. I need new Hydraulic lifters they are not working properly and making a lot of chatter.
While you can do new lifters with a used cam (not other way round though) I would recommend that you do both and be done with it.

Steve

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
I plan to do that

I plan on replacing both lifters and cam shaft at the same time. Any recommendations on good OEM cam shaft and lifter? Right now Im just trying to dig in and find out why I was consuming oil. Though with the pipes dripping a bit....that was part of it.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Were did you get your turbo? Usually, "rebuilt turbos" are garbage. Many people have had garbage rebuilt turbos cause the engine to run away the first time they start the engine after installing it.

If you want to buy a quality cam and source a turbo that won't destroy you engine, go here:

Frank's VW TDI's, LLC
1007 Olive St.
Lockwood, MO 65682
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

My OEM turbo with 185K miles leaks out about 1 or 2 teaspoons of oil when I remove the lower charge air pipe. If anyone says 1/4 cup of oil leaking out is normal is stretching the truth.

Last edited:

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
Every Green Turbo of Ocala Florida

This is a local turbo shop. He is super clean reliable shop. Well known in these parts for good quality rebuilds and good parts.