Goodbye ECOdiesel - totaled while parked @ 429,466 miles

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I agree with going after her for more serious charges, you have the proof. No way I'd let this go. No way.

Not sure about the laws in VA, but what about a "cut-n-shut"? Seems like a good candidate.
I agree too. I saw that the hood was up on one of your other cars. What if you had been working on the eco-diesel when she hit? It could have been much worse and she needs to realize that.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Thanks for the sentiments everyone. I was absolutely sick when I walked out of the house this morning and saw the car under the tarp. :(

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, you think it is just a bad dream, until you wake up and realize that it did indeed happen. :(

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Really, now your beef should be directed at her insurance company. I would start taking every step to build a case for the maximum value for your poor, departed car.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
I posted this on the video comments, I'll repeat here:

Using the median and/or downhill camera, you should be able to calculate her speed. USA cameras run at 29.97 frames per second (if interlaced, 59.94 frames per second if progressive). Get something that's a meter long and put it along the path of the van in the camera. Measure how much of the frame it takes up. Using that as a reference, see how many frames it takes for the van to go a meter. Divide by the FPS - you have meters/sec. Convert to KPH, then MPH if needed. Compare to speed limit.
Moreover, 0:38-0:39 she goes two car lengths. 8 meters. That's 20 mph. 0:39-0:40 she goes about 3 car lengths. 12 meters. That's 27 mph. 0:43-0:44. About 4 car lengths, 16 meters. 35 mph. This is a neighborhood, going a lick over 25 is negligent. What if a bunch of kids ran out in front of her to catch their ball or something? At 35mph, your stopping distance is about 50 feet (15 meters). 4 car lengths. This doesn't factor in reaction time. So she probably would have run straight over the kids, their ball, their pets, and ran the stop sign at the end of the street before she could come to a stop.

Kids these days. (Mind you, I am only 24. This isn't representative of me or my generation... we are smart enough to only text and drive at unbusy stop lights... ;) )

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
I work with insurance companies on a weekly basis. While they are not auto insurance companies, they essentially all work the same. They will see your Jetta as a 20 year old car with 429,XXX miles. They do not care about sentimental value. Your best bet for recouping any money is to find the fair market value of your car. This will require finding other people with vehicles FOR SALE in similar condition. I say FOR SALE because I see insurance fraud a lot. Convincing your buddy to post his car for 10 grand isn't going to help any.

After you get evidence of its worth, you need to also prosecute the driver for reckless driving or at least speeding. While she may not physically pay for the consequences of her actions, she does need to be taught a lesson. After all, she was behind the wheel of a two ton vehicle, there are so many chances to hurt someone or something and it is not safe to have a driver like her on the road.

It is going to take a lot of work on your part. Unfortunately that is how the situation works. If you get screwed you have to work even harder to prevent getting screwed some more.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself

Moreover, 0:38-0:39 she goes two car lengths. 8 meters. That's 20 mph. 0:39-0:40 she goes about 3 car lengths. 12 meters. That's 27 mph. 0:43-0:44. About 4 car lengths, 16 meters. 35 mph. This is a neighborhood, going a lick over 25 is negligent. What if a bunch of kids ran out in front of her to catch their ball or something? At 35mph, your stopping distance is about 50 feet (15 meters). 4 car lengths. This doesn't factor in reaction time. So she probably would have run straight over the kids, their ball, their pets, and ran the stop sign at the end of the street before she could come to a stop.

Kids these days. (Mind you, I am only 24. This isn't representative of me or my generation... we are smart enough to only text and drive at unbusy stop lights... ;) )
Look at the distance covered from 5:12:55 - 5:13:00.How far is that in five seconds?

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
I believe you also said that the video shows her running through two stop signs? With her 10 year old sister in the back is that endangering a child? I'm no legal beagle. On the other hand, they are your neighbors... burned bridges are hard to cross again.

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
:(

Whilst I've never posted in the thread about this car in the OP's sig, I've read it with interest and kinda grew a soft spot for it. I've also seen a couple of the youtube videos in which it features. It's a shame it came to an end like this.

Hope justice is done and the dingbat in the MPV gets what she deserves. I'm sure karma will come round one day...

Will you try and reshell the car?

Ash :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Considering the possibility of buying back the car (dependent on price, of course) and salvaging the engine. At this point I'm kind of up in the air because the engine has so many miles on it. It would be great for it to live on, but it would make sense to rebuild it before swapping it into another body.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
:(

Awh man, ive been driving my mk2 so much lately since getting her running the battery in the mk4 went dead, so i completely sympathyize wih your loss.

Id be out for blood if i were you.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I was gutted to hear this news last night :(

I've spent a fair bit of time helping you two keep this car going over the last few years! Had a lot of fun driving it, riding in it and even following it (driving to Kart2Kart following in my Mk2 GTI 16V comes to mind, going quite fast on the off-ramp to Mound Rd :D). Lots of memories there. Helped drive it to TDIFest 2008 in Ohio!

Thing was surprisingly quick for being rated at "60 hp" originally :D The normally aspirated pump with the fuel screw turned in a ways may have had something to do with that...

Liked that Koni suspension enough to buy the same basic setup for my Mk3!

Gonna miss that car :(

Matt-98AHU

TDI
And to think that I parked my own car in that very spot while visiting last year after TDIFest...

Crazy rain tried to wash it down the road! Bag of leaves was jammed under the front bumper and a tree branch...

Such a quiet street, you don't expect something like that to happen...

Last edited:

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Sorry this happen guys:(.That car was in really good shape to boot:(.I notice a couple of things in you pictures.The girl doesn't seem to upset about accident like no big deal.Looks like the wipers are up on the van and the air bags didn't deploy.Why is the dude still in the car?Was his shorts still around his ankles?:rolleyes:
LOL. It really looks like she must have been moving at a good clip to do that kind of damage to the Jetta. I can't believe the airbags weren't deployed in the van. Recently, I had my Jetta parked IN the garage. The other car was out with me, and the garage door was open. The neighbors kids and their friends were playing and driving one of those little battery-powered cars on the driveway (we share a common driveway:(). One of the kids drove into my garage, slammed into my son's bike which then dented and scratched the front quarter panel. A car is not safe even when parked in the garage.:mad: Fortunately, they offered to pay the repair bill. I just got the Jetta back from the body shop because some dope rear ended me in stop 'n go traffic on the highway. I hope I have all the dents out of my system at this point. Best of luck with your claim and glad you were not in the car when it was hit.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Gonna miss that car :(
Me too. :(

Your excellent work as a mechanic is a good part of the reason that car was still in such good running order.

In fact, your help with the brakes and timing belt back in 08 was when we first met!

-J

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Just watched the video... if only there was a soundclip of the two of you coming outside.
Ugh.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I work with insurance companies on a weekly basis. While they are not auto insurance companies, they essentially all work the same. They will see your Jetta as a 20 year old car with 429,XXX miles. They do not care about sentimental value. Your best bet for recouping any money is to find the fair market value of your car. This will require finding other people with vehicles FOR SALE in similar condition. I say FOR SALE because I see insurance fraud a lot. Convincing your buddy to post his car for 10 grand isn't going to help any.

After you get evidence of its worth, you need to also prosecute the driver for reckless driving or at least speeding. While she may not physically pay for the consequences of her actions, she does need to be taught a lesson. After all, she was behind the wheel of a two ton vehicle, there are so many chances to hurt someone or something and it is not safe to have a driver like her on the road.

It is going to take a lot of work on your part. Unfortunately that is how the situation works. If you get screwed you have to work even harder to prevent getting screwed some more.
Not to dispute anything you have to say but, though asking price may help bolster your argument, it's the SOLD price that really counts. When settling a total w/my insurance a few years back, I found they used an independent company to establish value. They use many of the same sources available to us like Auto Trader, Craig's list and eBay. This may work in your favor. If current asking and sales prices are high on your EcoD, you have a strong argument against some cryptic value they pull out of their a$$ established by some equally cryptic entity. Start building a portfolio of current asking and sold prices and hopefully you won't need it.

The other tactic is to negotiate down the buyback price. You may hit the wall with value but it's easier to negotiate the buyback as there are fewer company restrictions to deal with.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Not to dispute anything you have to say but, though asking price may help bolster your argument, it's the SOLD price that really counts. When settling a total w/my insurance a few years back, I found they used an independent company to establish value. They use many of the same sources available to us like Auto Trader, Craig's list and eBay. This may work in your favor. If current asking and sales prices are high on your EcoD, you have a strong argument against some cryptic value they pull out of their a$$ established by some equally cryptic entity. Start building a portfolio of current asking and sold prices and hopefully you won't need it.

The other tactic is to negotiate down the buyback price. You may hit the wall with value but it's easier to negotiate the buyback as there are fewer company restrictions to deal with.
Great advice! Thank you.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just watched the video... if only there was a soundclip of the two of you coming outside.
Ugh.
Hands on head says it all.

I said "W T F" and Jason shouted "how the **** did you hit a parked car?!"

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Me too. :(

Your excellent work as a mechanic is a good part of the reason that car was still in such good running order.

In fact, your help with the brakes and timing belt back in 08 was when we first met!

-J
Oh, it's been longer than that! It's all a blur anymore, I know... We met sometime in '06. Didn't you get the ECO in late '06 or was it '07? We were trying to get a Lemons team together by '08! Tom wouldn't stop driving that '85 Jetta GL, though. hahah

Let me think, we went to a Lemons race in Flat Rock in '07 (and decided it would be more fun than the BABE rally). Then went to the one in Toledo with Mark and Tom in '08 (helped that crew out with the Mk2 Jetta 16V), then finally competed in one in '09 (Nelson Ledges) and right before I left MI in 2010 (Gingerman) with the MIVE crew.

We had the garage space with Mark and Tom by mid-2008! You bought the Jetta GL for Lemons in early '08. We definitely go back further than '08 :p

Either way, fun memories with hopelessly broken old German cars!

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I had a Rabbit GTI destroyed by hail and a huge oak limb. AmFam wanted to give me $500 over the phone. It was a very nice car with 165k on it and I said no way. They send out an appraiser who looked it over and then searched for comparable sales. I got $1900 for it. That was over five years ago.