1992 ECOdiesel in green

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Got the air going 95% of the way. Need to play with the charge level a little more and get a different AC belt as the current one is too long and slips. Also got a dual round light setup installed (thanks darkscout!)

Pics soon!

-Jason

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
so, your "special" refrigerant is working ok? most interesting.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Yup the R290 is working ok, but because R290 operates at the same pressures as R22 the pressures are a bit too high for the olde R12 system. It kicks the radiator fans into high almost right away. I need to add a little R600 to get the pressures down.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Mine kicks the fan on high within seconds of compressor startup too. I know my fan is different, but I think the pressure switch is the same.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
What high side pressures do you see Brian? After running at idle for a bit the high side gets up to just under 250psi, which is where mine kicks the fans onto the 2nd speed.

I'm thinking of changing mine so that the high side switch / rad high switch kick the fans into the 3rd speed, and the 2nd speed is activated via the temp switch on the head.

oilhammer

TDI
I have never put a high-side fitting on my car, so I don't know. I just know it will give you an ice-cream headache on a 100 F day, that's good enough for me.

Seeings how the cooling fan is the uber-fast 350W jobber that sounds like a single-engine Cessna full of fat chicks at take-off I have to think it keeps the condenser temp exchange working well so the high side pressure should be acceptable.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
heh, mine are 350w on the 2nd stage, but it's also driving two fanwheels! The blades on mine are not as deep though. It would be interesting to know the flow differences between them.

Is it just me or does the Mk2's AC hold a lot of refrigerant? Mine called for 1250g of R12. I think my benz calls for 1100g, and my TDI uses only 750g of R134. I looked under the hood of a MK6 at the dealer and I think it only called for 520g!

-J

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Newer cars in general hold less charge, because the systems are more compact, more efficient, and it saves [the manufacturers] money.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Oh I filled up this morning, I got 35 MPG on the first tank. Not bad considering there was some fast (80+ mph) highway time in there, city, and aircon usage. In the same commute my TDI gets 38 and the benz gets 19 :eek:

-J

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
......The belt on my (long gone) '92 EcoDiesel slipped quite a bit. Check your pullys with a square to make sure they are all properly aligned. Mine weren't...

Got the air going 95% of the way. Need to play with the charge level a little more and get a different AC belt as the current one is too long and slips. Also got a dual round light setup installed (thanks darkscout!)

Pics soon!

-Jason

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
-Jason

If there happens to be another dualround grill/radiator support out there...put dantheman's name on it(edit:*) and send him a pm

Compu85, you've got quad beams, :eek:

AND??
your AC works...:(

well......
:ppbltttttsssss!!
:p

i wish my AC worked, and i had quad rounds for my '92 ECO.
anyone? edit:done!

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
I had to go rescue my parents the other night.... the fuel pump on dad's 1.8t passat kicked the bucket. With the AC going 80 is about the maximum speed the car will go. Going flat out for 200 miles I got 28 MPG :eek:

-Jason

dantheman6012

TDI
91 Jetta Ecodiesel
I second your jealousy crusher. I've got the grille, just need the rad support and the lights.

As for the AC, compressors shot (bearing kicked it, replaced with sourced bearing just to get the pulleys moving again). Also no pressure in the system so there is probably a leak somewhere. Can be a real hot summer in MS without it. Lots of rolling stops and running lights with the sunroof/windows all the way open. Heat index today was 112. Damn humidity.

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
My 92' ECO D is available to the world.
I haven't used her since Ca decided to screw the pooch vis a vis 99 % biodiesel being criminalized. After 2 months of sitting untouched my kid went to use it and supposedly the fuel pump(injector pump) is shot. I've been out of the country for 3 months so i haven't had a chance to check it out myself and as I'm leaving again for many months i figure it is best to offer her up to wherever she could be most useful.
-has approx 140k miles
-timing belt changed at 127k
-new heater core
-vw silver/grey No pw,pl,no sunroof,moonroof. just a basic gl
-was a decent running car. solid, frugal dependabilty
no reasonable offer refused.
if no interest i will donate to charity for the tax deduction.
You're close, I'll take it... err, ahh, not really, I already have two more cars then I have listed, and don't have the time to fix the extra ones that I have.

But I did respond to tell you that biodiesel was not made illegal in California. The fueling stations that you probably know about that closed, were closed because the new ruels require biodiesel storage tanks to be above ground, and there are many people fighting to change that, and/or encouraging the fueling stations to move in that direction like the fueling station in Santa Barbara. In the meantime there is a very healthy biodiesel co-op in LA. If you don't know about it, PM me and I'll let you know how to find it and join the best and only biodiesel co-op in LA. :D

Last edited:

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
Back on the multi-radio-collant topic.. err the IDI topic. Nice find compu_85, I like mine mucho mas mo bester :p mucho mas speedstery B4 I parked it, and I'll race you when it runs again and you just happen to be in LA, but I don't have the time to fix it now :(

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
So I sold this car over the weekend to a friend. We spent most of sunday getting the front seal on the IP replaced... not a fun job and very fiddley, but if you go slow you should be ok.

It will be replaced with another 80s VW / Audi product, but I'll put that in its own thread.

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
I ran an autocheck against this car's VIN and it says it was involved in a major front end accident a few months ago :(

Now both of my ECOdiesels are dead :(

-J

stubborn66

TDI
2003 Jetta
hi,
I just picked up a 1992 eco diesel, this is one of the few post I have seen that refers to them. I did see a post elsewhere that these were only made two years and are kinda rare.
This one has 225K on it but it is in good shape. I was gonna make switch it to Bio Diesel, bump up the injectors and a few other modifications and use it as a daily driver and see how far I can get the odometer up to but if if is worth something as a collectable I may leave it original.
Any input would be appreciated

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Should be able to go a long way... Mine made it to 429,000 miles before the neighbor girl ran into it while it was parked on the street. Engine is still going - transplanted into a Caddy (Rabbit pickup).

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Keep it original if possible. An Eco is my dream vehicle I just have never found one I liked. (yeah I have weird dreams :D )

stubborn66

TDI
2003 Jetta
well, I hate to butcher this because of what it is. I may just find another one as my project and sell this one. I want to play around with some modifications, I have an 03 TDI and I dont want to butcher that one either so I guess I need to find another one to play with.