Best Coilovers for ride comfort

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
I am looking to buy a set of coilovers, I just want some opinions from some of you guys that have them. Which ones give the best ride? I dont want to go down the road bouncing.

Thanks,

AUG

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
height control is the most important after comfort. I don't want the car to be darting every were.

MarkWaddle

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS Black
i have height and dampening adjustable weitec coilovers. they are at full stiffness to avoid bounciness and to prevent unnecessarily bottoming out. it rides quite stiff at low speeds and while crusing normally, but i don't mind. they perform much more smoothly under accelaration and at high speed. the higher end coilovers such as h&r and koni may have a smoother ride, but i can't say for sure. the weitecs were a great deal at a little under $900 shipped and they allowed me to get my car at the perfect height with improved (IMO) handling.

however, if i was to do it all over again, i would buy these: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2416299. instead of adjusting the spring perch up and down and compressing or decompressing the shock, youadjust the entire lower strut body up and down.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I had Bilstein PSS9's on my GTI and I have KW V3's on my New Beetle TDI. I would recommend the KW coilovers over anything else, and I've ridden in quite a few VWs with coilovers. The ride with the KW coilovers is smooth yet stiff and not at all bouncy. I have them adjusted to what KW initially starting with and I haven't touched them since.

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
I have KW Variant 2 on Both my A2 and A4.
Ride is harder than standard, but not rock solid.

They get rid of the vw trademark "floaty feel"

Though on the A2 they feel so much harder

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
My Koni's were literally almost as smooth as stock until they got about 7 or 8k on them. Still great.

Little rougher now but I'm also putting 2 inches of pre-load on the shocks.
In winter when they are all the way up and full soft, most people wouldnt know the difference.
Ride is adjustable, so could always go softer, but then you run the risk of bottoming out the front end all the time.

Isnt that what a skid plate is for?

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I am on Konis and it can be harsh. It all depends on where you drive them.
I leave in a farm area and the roads I am driving on are mushroomed, they have holes, camber changes...all kinds, kinda like a rally track:)
My opinion...I LOVE them. They make the car so much more controlable. They are not bouncy at all, and I played with them quite a lot. I had them half way down, on full soft and full hard, I have them not all the way up on full hard, I was on full soft for a while...very very nice controlled rice.
They tend to be harsh as I said, especially on the passangers. It depends how sensitive they are:) tdiclub members said is nice. Family member said is to hard.
One thing another member pointed out was that I might be rideing on bumpstops. I dind't get a chance to check that.