Help me love the DSG...or not

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I thought what I needed was a newer car. Pulled the trigger on a 2015 Golf SEL DSG. Car is in phenomenal shape - nothing wrong with it...except it’s a DSG. I previously had been driving a fairly modified ALH 5 speed, and the two cars I had owned before that were manuals.

There’s just something about that third pedal and a wonderful torque curve. Needless to say, I’m feeling regret.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
DSG tune. I got mine from Malone, and it makes a huge difference in how much I enjoy driving the car.
Still not the connection you feel with a stick, but at least the car shifts where and when I'd be shifting.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
You are in part probably missing what the ALH provided you, as you mentioned it was modified. I drove a BRM Jetta with stage 1 rocket chip and 5 speed manual that I felt was more fun to drive than my 2014 JSW with 6 speed manual. I now drive a 2014 Passat with DSG and do miss being slightly less connected to the driving experience, but appreciate not having to row gears when I don't want to (plus the NMS Passat is quieter overall).

You may find the whole experience more enjoyable with the DSG tuned, as others have noted. I've not gone that route, but have read the experience of others who have and off the top of my head can only remember positive remarks.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
DSG tune. I got mine from Malone, and it makes a huge difference in how much I enjoy driving the car.
Still not the connection you feel with a stick, but at least the car shifts where and when I'd be shifting.

Yeah eventually will do that. I’m still under factory 5/60,000 warranty until next August. Prefer to leave stock until then.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
You are in part probably missing what the ALH provided you, as you mentioned it was modified. I drove a BRM Jetta with stage 1 rocket chip and 5 speed manual that I felt was more fun to drive than my 2014 JSW with 6 speed manual. I now drive a 2014 Passat with DSG and do miss being slightly less connected to the driving experience, but appreciate not having to row gears when I don't want to (plus the NMS Passat is quieter overall).

You may find the whole experience more enjoyable with the DSG tuned, as others have noted. I've not gone that route, but have read the experience of others who have and off the top of my head can only remember positive remarks.

Yeah I’m sure that has a large impact on how it feels to drive. I think the similarity in how the interior feels to me has some to do with it as well. Feels like I’m in the same car but not the same drivability and power.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
I really like the DSG. I had MT MK6 JSW and a MT MK7 both TDI. I thought the MT was the only way to go with my JSW. However, I’ve really liked the DSG in MK7. I do use sport mode a lot in city driving because of the dead spot in the power curve up to 1800 rpm. I had a chance to get a MT in S trim when I bought my 2nd/post fix GSW. However, I valued heated seats more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homerjj

TDI
1984 Jetta Turbodiesel, 1983 Caddy AAZ, 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
The 2015 TDI Sportwagen I bought new 2 years ago has a DSG, it was the only TDI wagon on the lot here on PEI.

Although I would have preferred a manual, I slowly became acclimatized to the DSG,..... didn't really like it at first, but it has slowly grown on me.

The seemingly weird shift patterns and throttle response ( like 1/2 way into the throttle it seemed "dead") were my main beefs.

Although, after I did the throttle & torque reduction mods (last month) it has completely changed the car to where I am beginning to like it a lot. As someone on this forum floated... it was sort of like a .5 tune.

And yeah... sport mod is my friend too!

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
throttle response to direct

grab the low hanging fruit before dropping coin on DSG tune.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Although, after I did the throttle & torque reduction mods (last month) it has completely changed the car to where I am beginning to like it a lot. As someone on this forum floated... it was sort of like a .5 tune.

And yeah... sport mod is my friend too!
Can I ask to what you are referring to with the mod?

Homerjj

TDI
Can I ask to what you are referring to with the mod?
Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Here is the throttle mod....

Throttle Response Mod:
Open VCDS / Select / 44 - Steering Assist / Security Access / 19249 / Do It / OK / Adaptation / Channel (drop down menu) / Driving Profile Switchover / New Value (drop down menu) / Direct: Controlled over Threshold Value (original was Gradual, controlled by Time) / Do It / Yes / OK / Go Back / close, go back etc.

And here is the Vibration Reduction Mod:

Enter ABS controller, select adaptions, select "starting vibration reduction" from the drop-down menu, change the value from Strong to Deactivated.

Also I meant to say Sport Mode is my friend.

Just a hot brain numbing day here.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
I really like the DSG. I had MT MK6 JSW and a MT MK7 both TDI. I thought the MT was the only way to go with my JSW. However, I’ve really liked the DSG in MK7. I do use sport mode a lot in city driving because of the dead spot in the power curve up to 1800 rpm. I had a chance to get a MT in S trim when I bought my 2nd/post fix GSW. However, I valued heated seats more.

Forgot to add that I did the throttle mod and changed the torque vibration reduction from strong to normal.

Homerjj

TDI
Forgot to add that I did the throttle mod and changed the torque vibration reduction from strong to normal.

On my car in VCDS there was a deactivate choice, so that's what I picked.

Homerjj

TDI
Any issues with wheel hop?

A bit if I get on the throttle heavy, especially in the rain. But I dont drive like my former 16 year old self... so I just back off on the throttle when needed.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Any issues with wheel hop?

I did the same thing. I don’t launch my cars but there is a definite increase in the possibility of wheel spin - noted today in the rain. Normal driving conditions would never notice it. I did the change last week and didn’t know until today.