Anyone tried propane fumigation/injection on a TDI?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I guess he doesn't consider multiple cracked heads a wear item. Or maybe he just forgot. :rolleyes:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think a lot of guys want to believe propane is the poor man's nitrous. When, in actuality, it's the rich man's diesel fuel. Injecting a lot of fuel with no regards to timing is playing with fire (literally), imo.

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
None of these engine strip downs have been from the result of injecting gas. Yes I've had multiple crack heads but don't all pd's with a rocker on the injector?

Trying to reducethe injector bore wear is one problem but is it a cursed engine? Don't all have there problems?
Plasma coatings started coming off when they reduced the sulphur content in the fuel and added more bio%

If some one doesn't fail how do we learn?
Someone must have found that putting to much boost into a 1.9 requires a higher grade head bolt!
We're all here to learn?
I'm only using 4% gas mix for around town driving and not on wot.
Yes I use water injection but noi with meths as that's another fuel
No I don't use nos as I've seen what that does.
Who else has tuned a 2.5pd?
Cr is not the same as the 1.9 or 2.0 pd it's lower.

The latest strip down was required because I melted the slave cylinder on the clutch. With a noise from the timing gear I pulled the engine apart...It happened to be a piece of plastic from the injection loom plug had cracked and fell off into the gears, this jumped the gears and broke a few teeth. With metal in the bottom end and a bit of scoring on the bores the engine still made power.
The other problems have been down to machine shops...
On a standard engine you can run gas at a sensible mix but on a tuned engine that mix reduces....
I'm on another engine rebuild anyway but if anything I've learnt many ways of how not to do things.. but carry on shot down the newish boy for having a go because I'm outside the normal way of doing things box :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe propane is considerably cheaper per BTU in the UK. That's not the case here. So you're paying more for the fuel, hauling around all of the extra junk, and possibly tearing down the engine on a regular basis. No thanks.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
the real reason why you should inject anything is to gain power under the curve where its lacking due to specific turbo maps. VTN's have sort of solved this or compound turbos.
the only reason i got into water injection and NOS was to COOL egts so i can add MORE fuel lol.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I find this post came back from the dead
I have over 10+ years with CNG injection system on gasoline and diesel system.
If you used the search here you should fined my post on this.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
the real reason why you should inject anything is to gain power under the curve where its lacking due to specific turbo maps. VTN's have sort of solved this or compound turbos.
the only reason i got into water injection and NOS was to COOL egts so i can add MORE fuel lol.
no, just... ugh

the only reason you use propane is that you don't have more fuel available from your injection hardware and you don't want to pay for shiny new inyecktion junkola

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
propane (LPG) or compressed natural gas (CNG)
basically the same thing, slightly different though. still a fuel at a roughly similar flash point.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no, just... ugh
the only reason you use propane is that you don't have more fuel available from your injection hardware and you don't want to pay for shiny new inyecktion junkola
that's exactly what i said earlier, well not exactly but close enough.

and quoting me?? so your saying its NOT to gain more area under the curve? turbo maps = fuel, turbo always does the work and the map is designed to add fuel to the range of the turbo! i fail to see how i am wrong here!

i was able to knock down almost 250*F with a 3 stage injection of water, started working with methanol too but the water did the trick for me and i gave a kit of NOS i borrowed from a friend to test out how well i could drop the EGT's more, with the NOS i was able to take that down to 400*F lower overall when applied at the kick in of the various stages i had set by my abuer gauges, 1490 and 1530 was my 2 main triggers am was able to keep under 1560 sustained but would otherwise skyrocket with my 764's and gt2052. it was a trial and i gave up after many issues with other things like blowing up my turbo (probably why lol) and a runaway and that darn head lift.

anyways, i did say the reason i injected those things, and never really got into LPG much, i wanted to but ran out of time and $$$.

i never had problems with not enough fuel, but then again that was due to not enough $$ to go with better parts. my poor haggered AHU, cant wait to fix it!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
It would only be switched on while on the highway. I would set it so it would not fog below 1800 rpm

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
No matter what the spare fuel that gets stuck in w/o the injector timing, the combination of its concentration and ignition point have got to stay under auto-ignition. You do not want things taking off w/o the fuel getting squirted in.
cheers,
Douglas
the automation temp of propane is above the automation temp of diesel. So the propane will only ignite after the propane. And I would not be running above 10 percent.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI