Oil smoke

waynes

TDI
I’m new to the group just got a 2000 bug with a1.9 tdi 212000 miles,when I get into turbo boost it starts blowing blue white smoke out of the exhaust,I’m assuming the turbo seals are probably going bad,because the boost tube is pretty oily,what are the best mods to do to start off with.Thanks

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Best not to start off with mods.
Getting the car into good stock shape and road-tested good should be your first goal. Boost tube being oily is normal. Having a lake of oil inside the intercooler (baffled box front corner passenger side) is not normal. Check that before running it again is my advice.

EDIT: forgot to add if you don't have verification of the last timing belt (and ALL associated bits) replacement, better get on that quick.

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Is it a 5 speed or auto?

I second the advice of getting it in proper order as well. Any reputable tuner will say the same.

If you're looking to modify it, you'll need access to a vcds or vagcom cable. This will allow you to do some data logging and when you do a timing belt, you can properly set the timing.

If it's an auto, your options are limited period, if it's a 5 speed you can do a good bit once you have it in good order

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you haven't done so pull the intercooler hose that is behind the right front passenger wheel. See how much oil comes out. If none, reach your finger down inside the intercooler and see how much oil is pooling there.

A small amount of oil is normal, however when you remove the hose that is attached to the intercooler, owing to the shape and position of said intercooler you shouldn't get any oil other than maybe a drip or two from the removed hose.

The position and shape of the intercooler is such that the lowest point is near the fender. There will be some oil, maybe a good cleaning of those hoses and intercooler will solve the problem, try that first but likely your turbo is headed south.

Generally a cupful or less is acceptable.

waynes

TDI
Wow how come there’s so much oil in the inter cooler box,it is a five speed manual it also has a coolant leak down by the thermostat housing the belt is due to be changed,is it an operator friendly thing .to do or a vw mechanic thing.

waynes

TDI
Wow how come there’s so much oil in the inter cooler box,it is a five speed manual it also has a coolant leak down by the thermostat housing the belt is due to be changed,is it an operator friendly thing .to do or a vw mechanic thing.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
EGR system causes a certain amount of precipitate in the intercooler system. Normally running the car hard occasionally will keep it clear. If engine oil is in there, it will cause more serious problems, including possible runaway/hydrolock.

Timing belt system service is doable with proper tools, but you must be meticulous. It's not so much hard as it is very involved. It's nice to find someone who's done a dozen or so to help or do it for you. It's way different than other cars, so be wary of any mechanic who just claims to know all about timing belts.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
EGR system causes a certain amount of precipitate in the intercooler system. Normally running the car hard occasionally will keep it clear. If engine oil is in there, it will cause more serious problems, including possible runaway/hydrolock.

Timing belt system service is doable with proper tools, but you must be meticulous. It's not so much hard as it is very involved. It's nice to find someone who's done a dozen or so to help or do it for you. It's way different than other cars, so be wary of any mechanic who just claims to know all about timing belts.
It's not the EGR that puts oil in the intake side...the oil comes from blow by and the CCV fogging oil mist into the snorkel to the turbo and hopefully not the seals in the turbo. The EGR does however add carbon to the oil and make the wonderful black sludge buildup in the intake and head

If you want to invest in the tools, it's worth it but if you don't plan to keep the car through thick and thin I'd say have it done...I'm in love with these cars but not everyone is...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Good advice thus far.

As for doing the TB job yourself, besides the proper tools, do some research (try the HowTos in the Sticky above), etc., you need a good work place with a floor jack, jack stands, etc. TB jobs are not necessarily a drive-way work process.

And, that pesky metal expansion seals in the Turbo do not 100% keep oil from being dumped into the "air side" of the Turbo, especially at idle. The oil dumped on the Exhaust side is hardly as noticeable.

waynes

TDI
I have a fully equipped shop with a two post lift and pretty much any tool I need,so the tools or shop won’t be a problem,i have to do the o rings on the top of the IP so that is the first thing to happen so I don’t have to prime it after it sits for a couple days.

waynes

TDI
I have a fully equipped shop with a two post lift and pretty much any tool I need,so the tools or shop won’t be a problem,i have to do the o rings on the top of the IP so that is the first thing to happen so I don’t have to prime it after it sits for a couple days.