Speed limits across the US are on the rise! Up-to-date state-to-state info & news...

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I don't know what the differences are between our drivers and those on the Autobahn in Germany.

They don't seem to have any issues "cruising" at 120 MPH and I've been there the last 20 years straight during the summer on vacation. And in that time, I can't even use up all the fingers on one hand to count accidents...I think two, maybe three, so far.

Is it driver training, driver attitude, vehicle condition?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
^^^^03_01_TDI, please provide a link for the source of your quotes. thanks.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
^^^^03_01_TDI, please provide a link for the source of your quotes. thanks.
The reduced limits on the Autobahn around cities are fact and even based on traffic with signs changing to 120 or 100 KPH as traffic permits.

Then there are reduced speeds at night where the autobahn is right alongside a town. This in order to keep noise down.

Speed limits are heavily enforced in towns and construction zones by the use of cameras.

Tractor trailers are limited to 120 KPH. Car trailers and camper trailers 80 KPH unless certified to 100 KPH.

I am just tracking down a copy of their driver's manual which I had a look at recently. What an eye-opener...it makes our driver's manuals look like comic book.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Oh and if you think their drinking and driving policy is tough, go to Italy.

If you are at the second stage, your car is confiscated and sold. Got a loan on it...your tough luck.

I know this for a fact. A driver in the valley I stay in got nailed while in a slight fender bender in a traffic circle. He was above the limit, his car was taken and sold by the authorities and he jumped off a bridge three months later. Problem solved!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not questioning anything he's posted but I just think its best if people post the source of their info so others can look at it and read it in context.

The same request goes out to rotarykid by the way.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'm not questioning anything he's posted but I just think its best if people post the source of their info so others can look at it and read it in context.
Tom, my info is based on the observation of fixed and changing speed limit signs at various points along the Autobahn.

Other info I get while riding along with family and asking questions. They are far more clued in with respect to traffic rules and laws than most of us. The level of politeness and cooperation on the roads there is far better than many areas I have driven in here. Of course that varies from area to area.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
German tailgating law is also very progressive.

Less than 50' following distance at speeds above 100km results in at least a one month suspension.
And the fine for passing on the right on the Autobahn is stiff as well.

But then, you have far less left lane dreamers there (very rare), so you do not have to pass on the right.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I don't know what the differences are between our drivers and those on the Autobahn in Germany.

They don't seem to have any issues "cruising" at 120 MPH and I've been there the last 20 years straight during the summer on vacation. And in that time, I can't even use up all the fingers on one hand to count accidents...I think two, maybe three, so far.

Is it driver training, driver attitude, vehicle condition?
Yes, No*, Yes.

It is very expensive and requires several hours of professional training to get a license.

There is a mandatory vehicle inspection (TÜV) and you can be stopped for driving a vehicle with any damage.

*During my last assignment in Germany ('84-'88) the head of the police for the State of Baden-Württemburg gave an interview to the Stars and Stripes newspaper. Regarding American drivers, he said that when they first arrive and start driving, they are very safe drivers, but after a couple of years they "... start driving like Germans"!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tom, my info is based on the observation of fixed and changing speed limit signs at various points along the Autobahn.

Other info I get while riding along with family and asking questions. They are far more clued in with respect to traffic rules and laws than most of us. The level of politeness and cooperation on the roads there is far better than many areas I have driven in here. Of course that varies from area to area.
And I don't discount your personal observations either (they match my own, by the way). It's just that when one starts quoting another document (or implies that they are) then it gives much more credibility to the post when they provide a link. I've noticed that rotarykid has very long quotes in this thread but does not always provide the source. Are they another person's opinion from another forum? Who knows?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
German tailgating law is also very progressive.

Less than 50' following distance at speeds above 100km results in at least a one month suspension.

Driving faster than 80mph and tailgating at less than 22' will result in a three month suspension. And a 500$ fine.

Americans would flip the heck out. Most drivers think one car distance is acceptable at 80mph.
I can tell you from past experience that this is not well enforced. Unless they've really started cracking down in the last few years.

I don't disagree that tailgating is one of the worst things, though (here or on the autobahn). It's just difficult to enforce.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
New laser speed guns will check the speed and distance of two cars at the same time and take a photo of it. Rock solid case.
No doubt. But the cop has to be there to catch them in the act. That is the problem.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
They just put the speeds up on a bunch of roads in my area and its friggin awesome. Most are touting along at slightly above the old speed but most of us are travelling at the same speeds we were before they raised them.

I just cops would go after left lane hoggs and truckers who love to sit in the left lane. :mad:

Like the fact that speed related crashes is the number one cause of death to our youth. Like the fact that speeding is a factor in over 10,000 deaths per year.
Bullcrap. Stupid people cause accidents. Some of ours got raised and HORROR'S, no speed related crash's.

What's the big hurry anyway?
So who said you have to drive faster? That's the great thing about being a free mind, you can chose to do what you want, IE if the speeds go up, driver slower but keep right.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I use to try to discern from my opinion and what I am quoting from a news organization. And I only include the link when it is clear on the web site that is ok to quote with link. When it is gray I do still give the quote but I leave off enough details to not get into the copyright infringement area. Many times I quote several articles with exerts from them that are repeated in more than one article.
I always try to clearly mark something I write as my opinion not....
Let me get this straight: You will "steal" someone's work and post it in part here, but don't want to quote the source because you may be in violation of a copyright? :confused: I'm pretty sure the original author would rather have you cite them as a reference instead of using their work and not giving them credit. If not then you probably shouldn't be quoting them at all.

And "news organizations" can mean any whacko with a website nowadays. :rolleyes:

I tried to be pretty clear the last quote I wrote was a conglomeration of many articles right now, the post stating that Idaho is currently lowering the bar for speeding then claiming drivers are suddenly ignoring the new higher limit. When the in the road speed pick ups are saying otherwise....
There is a good example. Please point us to your source of speed pick up data.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
First, I try to only quote articles that show up in several locations, I quote sections not the entire article never claiming that it is from me.
If you are going to attack me over this how about you go after all person who comes on here quoting a car review, or press release who are in your words stealing......
Easy there, tiger. No one is "attacking" you.:rolleyes:
If you quote from a source, you should link to the source to credit them. If you can't quote the source due to copyright infringement, then put it in your own words (NOT an anonymous quote) and link to their site. Simple.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
what happened to the posts from the 'kid? :confused:
Did he take his ball and go home?

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I chose not to waste space going back and forth over nothing, not going to fall into that trap again. YOu have an ignore button if you don't want to read what I am quoting from the media, not from me.....

Here is the relevant quote pertaining to how they are enforcing the new limit
ID Highway Patrol will not tolerate drivers going even just a few miles per hour over the new limit.
BOISE, Idaho (KBOI) - The speed limit has risen 5 mph on interstates in southern Idaho.

While that concerns Idaho State Police, Utah's Department of Transportation, which raised its limit to 80 mph over the past few years, says it could actually make our roads safer.

The speed limit has gone up on rural parts of I-84, I-86 and I-15. Everywhere it used to be 75 mph, it's been raised to 80 mph. The only stretches that haven't changed are those near urban areas like Boise, Pocatello and Idaho Falls. They're staying at 65 mph.

Lawmakers upped the speed to make for a quicker commute. But state troopers say they're worried about safety with the switch.

"It's just the natural response that people try to scoot above the speed limit," said Trooper Mike Grigg. "They think 'if i'm going 85 or i'm going 90, the police won't stop me until i get to 90.'"

And police say the faster drivers go, the more severe crashes will be.

But KBOI checked in with Utah, which raised its limit from 75 mph to 80 mph over the past few years. And the state says its drivers aren't going any faster. Most drivers were going 80 mph before the switch and stayed at 80 mph after it.

"Even though we changed the speed limit their behavior, their speed did not change because they were already driving at that safe and comfortable prudent speed that really indicates where the majority of people are driving," said Robert Hull, UDOT's Traffic and Safety Director.

Hull also says there are fewer crashes on Utah interstates now because everyone is driving at the same pace.

"We narrowed that gap," Hull told KBOI. "The people that were driving 80 still drove it. The people who were adhering to a lower speed limit, actually, they probably moved up a little bit."

Idaho State Police says to keep everyone in the Gem State going the same speed, it will not tolerate drivers going even just a few miles per hour over the new limit.
this story word for word has shown up in at least 7 locations across Idaho media. They are intentionally muddying up the water on this by on one side not one mph will be given then making the baseless claim that drivers will go 90 mph all of the sudden now the limit has been raised......

I am still looking for the specific article I saw a few weeks ago that directly pointed out the fact that the increase in the number of tickets is directly out of the choice to lower tolerance range above posted as a HP policy from 85 pre limit increase to no tolerance today since the limit increase.....

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -

Idaho State Police say troopers have handed out more speeding tickets on interstates where speed limits have increased to 80 mph compared to the same time period last year.

The agency tells the Idaho Statesman in a story on Thursday(8/28/14) that some drivers appear to think the new 80 mph speed limit means they can drive 90 mph.

But agency spokeswoman Teresa Baker says troopers aren't giving any break on speeding tickets to anyone going over 80 mph.

Speed limits on rural sections of Interstates 84, 86 and 15 increased from 75 to 80 mph in late July.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rotarykid,
Thanks for providing the source for those reports.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I don't know if this has been covered but wasn't there a highway to Vegas? that had no speed limit, the death toll/accidents was nil, then some knuckledragging Politictian brought back a speed limit and the crash/death toll skyrocketed. The reason they said was drivers were more alert at speed and when they dropped the limit, drivers became lazy.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I don't disagree that tailgating is one of the worst things, though (here or on the autobahn). It's just difficult to enforce.
Well another way of enforcing it is by insurance rates increasing exponentially. You have an accident due to following too closely...tough!

The fact is, it is the driver's responsibility to maintain distance to the vehicle ahead to prevent an accident. I don't know what the rules are everywhere, but where I drive, if I run into the back of another car, it is my fault 100%.

Now what you need to do is drive accordingly and that takes the one thing so many drivers do not have...judgement. A fixed distance does not work in all situations.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Most reason people tailgate is because of the jackass's plugging the left lane. I am tired of driving on 3 lane highways and the slow lane is empty.

Found this, maybe it was Montana that had that road-

http://www.motorists.org/press/montana-no-speed-limit-safety-paradox

1. After the new Speed Limits were established, interstates fatal accidents went up 111%. From a modern low of 27 with no daytime limits, to a new high of 56 fatal accidents with speed limits.
2. On interstates and federal primary highways combined, Montana went from a modern low of 101 with no daytime limits, to a new high of 143 fatal accidents with speed limits.
3. After a 6 year downward trend in the percentage of multiple vehicle accidents on its 2 lane primary highways, multiple vehicle accident rates increased again.
4. With the expectation of higher speed when there was no daytime limit, Montana’s seat belt usage was well above the national average on its highways without a primary law, lane and road courtesy increased, speeds remained relatively stable and fatal accidents dropped to a modern low. After the new limits, fatal accidents climbed to a modern high on these classifications of highway, road courtesy decreased and flow conflict accidents rose again.
What about the extreme of No Speed Limits on 4 lane Interstate and rural federal–aid primary two lane highways? These same fact–based engineers point to the German Autobahn, where with no speed limits, authorities are consistently reporting lower fatality rates than comparable US highways.
For the last 5 months of no daytime limits in Montana, the period after its Supreme Court had ruled that the Reasonable and Prudent law was unconstitutional, reported fatal accident rate declined to a record low. Fixed speed limits were reinstated on Memorial Day weekend 1999. Since then, fatal accidents have begun to rise again.
This begs the question, do people change the way they drive when there is no speed limit? The evidence suggests the answer is yes. The measured vehicle speeds only changed a few miles per hour as predicted – comparable to data collected from other western states. What changed? The two most obvious changes were improved lane courtesy and increased seat belt use. Did other driving habits and patterns change as well?
The lower–than–US fatality rates on the German Autobahn (where flow management is the primary safety strategy), and now Montana's experience, would indicate that using speed limits and speed enforcement as the cornerstone of US highway safety policy is a major mistake. It is time to accept the fact that increases in traffic speeds are the natural by product of advancing technology. People do, in fact, act in a reasonable and responsible manner without constant government intervention.
The Montana experience solidifies the long held traffic engineering axioms, “people don't automatically drive faster when the speed limit is raised, speed limit signs will not automatically decrease accident rates nor increase safety, and highways with posted speed limits are not necessarily safer than highways without posted limits.”
The study on the effects of no daytime speed limits in Montana is clear. Traffic safety, if anything, actually improved without posted limits or massive enforcement efforts. Highway safety wasn't compromised nor can the lowest fatality rates recorded in modern times be ignored. Something happened, it was positive, and it needs further research to analyze what worked and why.
This doubling of the fatal accidents in Montana is a real life example to the potential catastrophic consequences of passing politically correct laws. Safety can only be achieved when sound engineering practices are allowed to overrule unfounded political conjecture. The sooner we as nation follow these precepts as adopted in the Highway Safety Act of 1966, our roads will be as safe as they reasonably can be while protecting your rights too.

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Stupid people cause accidents.
Well inattentive, inexperienced and people lacking judgement have accidents.

I prefer to call them collisions instead of accidents, because the vast majority of them are preventable.

Now onto the speed thing. Recalling my physics...KE = 1/2 mv^2, so yes, speed is a factor...when things go wrong.

BUT...if you hunt down a paper on International Transportation Forum on road safety or something along those lines on the web, you'll find some stats of road safety and fatalities around the world. I looked at Germany since they cruise at 120 MPH generally. I then compared them to the US.

Germany has 1/4 the US population. The year of the report, they also had 1/4 the traffic related fatalities of the US. Yes, I realize you have to look at what percentage of the population have cars...that data was not listed.

Now when I look at the traffic density in Germany (or Europe) and the chances of surviving 100+ MPH collisions, then they are doing better than us with respect to fatalities. Note the chances of survival at speed diminishes exponentially...I have a far better chance at 60 than 80 and lets not even think about one at 100 MPH.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
turbovan- I was giving you a bit of grief in my first response to you because you were posting unsupported "facts", which was exactly what I had been discussing with rotarykid previously. In your last post, you did cite and link to your source. Now we know whose data analysis you are sharing (the NMA).

What I don't understand is all the talk on that site about speed limits, but no easily found info on vehicle owner/operator responsibilities (such as vehicle inspections).

It is my opinion that ALL states and provinces need robust vehicle inspections if we want to increase (or possibly eliminate) speed limits. I can tell you that the inspections performed in Texas are a joke. I don't think they even look at tire tread :eek:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
... I looked at Germany since they cruise at 120 MPH generally...
There is such a wide range of vehicles and the speeds they are capable of on the autobahn. I don't think you can say the Germans generally cruise at 120 mph in the unlimited sections. When I was stationed over there in the 80's, I'd cruise around 100 mph when I could. I'd need to pass some cars going 50 mph (Fiats & Ladas), while keeping my eye on the rearview mirror for supercars going 150 mph!

The last time I was over there (Oct 2012), I had the pleasure of riding in a BMW 550ix. That thing had impressive acceleration even when already going 120 mph. Outside of a few Porsches and big Audis, I don't think we were passed by anyone. Very few passed us when we were cruising along at 100 mph. I'd say most cars we passed were in the 70-90 mph range.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well another way of enforcing it is by insurance rates increasing exponentially. You have an accident due to following too closely...tough!

The fact is, it is the driver's responsibility to maintain distance to the vehicle ahead to prevent an accident. I don't know what the rules are everywhere, but where I drive, if I run into the back of another car, it is my fault 100%.

Now what you need to do is drive accordingly and that takes the one thing so many drivers do not have...judgement. A fixed distance does not work in all situations.
I agree- you should be harshly fined for causing an accident by following too close.

And I do understand people getting frustrated by left-lane-laggards and being tempted to tailgate. I'd rather pass someone (quickly!) on the right than tailgate them. To me its the lesser of two evils.

Keeping right except to pass is the rule that would help traffic flow the most, IMO. This is evidently not well taught or well enforced based on my observations. On the other hand, when I come up to a slower vehicle that is in the process of passing an even slower vehicle, it is my responsibility to slow down and maintain that safe following distance until the other car has safely finished its passing maneuver. There is a significant amount of give-and-take that needs to happen outside what can be enforced by rules and law enforcement.

People should realize that:
1) The highways are a shared resource, and as such driving is a cooperative (NOT competitive) venture
2) There are more and more cars on the roads each year. Be patient, follow the golden rule, and you will safely get to your destination.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It is my opinion that ALL states and provinces need robust vehicle inspections if we want to increase (or possibly eliminate) speed limits. I can tell you that the inspections performed in Texas are a joke. I don't think they even look at tire tread :eek:
Agreed!

As for no speed limits, I think part of the reason why eliminating the speed limit may reduce crashes is because it removes the power from the left-lane-camping-speed-limit-vigilante... that person who just sits there because he/she can. It also removes the power for one to thumb his/her nose at the law and go faster just because the speed limit is somehow unacceptable. It changes how people behave when driving. Perhaps those are unsubstantiated opinions, but that's how I feel about the issue.

And of course, my above opinion doesn't apply to congested areas such as metropolitan areas. In those areas, a variable speed limit per lane based on the actual current flow of traffic is the most appropriate. WSDOT does this outside of Seattle and it's brilliant... the speed of every lane is measure in various locations and upcoming traffic conditions are taken into account. Every couple of miles there is an electronic speed limit sign per lane, which alerts drivers of upcoming slowdowns.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is a list of inspection items for Germany:
http://www.tuev-sued.de/hauptuntersuchung/3-richtig-vorbereiten/checkliste-pkw

If this were implemented here, I think it would be appropriate that if you bring your car in for inspection and any of these items are not in compliance, then you have a very short time to get it in order, as it indicates that your car is not safe to operate. You could also justify that the car is red-tagged on the spot and not driven away for the some of the worst infractions.

Likewise, if you are in an accident, and the cause can be attributed to the vehicle not being in compliance (in whole or part), then you are fined and found at least partly at fault for the accident.

Last edited:

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
tditom said "It is my opinion that ALL states and provinces need robust vehicle inspections if we want to increase (or possibly eliminate) speed limits. I can tell you that the inspections performed in Texas are a joke. I don't think they even look at tire tread"

This is so true, here in Illinois we do not have any sort of safety inspection. Of course, we are also the only/one of very few states with no helmet laws for motorcycles.

edited to add: according to this page, Iowa is the only other state with no "helmet laws".

http://www.bikersrights.com/states/50state.html

Last edited: