FS: '01 Golf GLS TDI in Blanco, TX - $1450

kmm153

TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI hatchback 4D
Selling because we use our van almost all the time, and feel this car should be in the hands of a VW lover/tinkerer.
General info: 2001 VW MK4 Golf GLS TDI 4 door hatchback, diesel automatic. 296k miles. White, fair condition with a couple of rust spots under back window, worn patches in the upholstery.
Work done:
- Previous owner replaced engine, so the current engine has 100k fewer miles than the car. He also replaced many belts/hoses and installed a fuel filter to make car more compatible with biofuel. It has never run on biofuel but has the capability.
- 2016: radiator fans and water pump hoses replaced
- 2017: replaced front end tie rods, control arms, and bushings; wheel alignment
The good:
Fantastic gas mileage, up to 40 mpg on highway. Clean and odor-free non-smoking interior despite some wear. Automatic locks and windows. Great AC and heat. This car had regular oil changes. No accidents while I was owner, and no major accidents in its history to my knowledge. Clean title.
The bad/The ugly:
-Minor paint chipping and rusting. Minor signs of wear on interior. Key fob doesn't seem to work well but probably just needs new battery. Sunroof needs new weather stripping and wind visor is chipped.
-Despite regular oil changes, we did not know about VWs requiring full synthetic so I am not positive what oil was used.
-Has fuel pump injection leak, which will either require a patch or full repair. -
-Most likely needs a new transmission!! Transmission related issues: Skips a little between 1st and 2nd gear; overheats easily in summer weather. I have heard this could possibly be related to not using the correct oil, so it's possible the car may just need a transmission flush and put on the correct oil. Pricing as if needs new transmission.
Price: $1450 obo. Make an offer, it will be considered! I loved driving this car and would love to see it go to a good home.
Photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dnTs1BVDNW7yvZcs9