turn key in door. door won't unlock!

dairyman

TDI
jetta
in my 99.5 jetta i locked the doors manually by turning the key in the door because my keyless is broken at the moment. came back out to get back in the car and turn the key i the door to unlock and nothing happens the key turns back and forth and stops where is should in the door it isn't just spinning freely. it just wouldn't unlock the door or relock it. had to go in through the trunk to get it in.

i searched and couldn't find anyone else this has happened to.

any ideas?

dairyman

TDI
jetta
yes the button inside will unlock and lock the doors but not while driving

dairyman

TDI
jetta
my lights turn on and off properly the lock just wont unlock or lock when turned by hand. weird problem i think

DuaneMiller

TDI
Soon to be 1999 Jetta TDi
Dairyman,

I had the same thing happen to my 99.5, although my key fobs would work. I was afraid if the battery ever ran down, that I would not be able to get into my locked car.

When you turn the key, can you feel spring tention in both directions? That was my symptom. I think there is something mechnical broken inside the module. I don't think it has anything to do with the micro switch.

You are going to have to replace the door lock module. I replaced mine, and now all is well. Cost me around $120 from 1st VW Parts.

dairyman

TDI
jetta
duane that is exactly what it is!! do you know the part number for the door lock module and were you able to keep your original key.

thanks

DuaneMiller

TDI
Dairyman,

The part number for the door lock module is: 3B1-837-015-J.

World Impex has it for around $163. 1st VW Parts has it for around $125.
Needless to say, I ordered mine from 1st VW Parts.

Anyway, after you have the parts, follow the instructions listed here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107

The first part will explain how to remove the door panel. Scroll way down to Part III and he will explain how to replace the door lock module. Its pretty easy to do, just be careful because some of the parts will be brittle.

This guys should write how-to manuals for a living.....

I hope this helps. Heck, who knows, whenever you get that door lock module working again, you might even get those key fobs reprogrammed. This was another reason why I wanted to get it replaced. You use the mechanical door lock in the re-programming procedure for the key fobs. I had one that had lost communication with the car.

Oh by the way, you still will be able to use your original keys.... you'll see how it all works after you get the old module out.

dairyman

TDI
jetta
thanks!!! Im definately going to replace it just have to wait for the part to get here now

gallaj01

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI GLS, 2001 Jetta TDI GLS, 2017 Golf AllTrack
When you turn the key in the door to "manually" unlock the door, it is still electronic. There are two microswitches, one for turning the key either direction (also for the window roll-down/roll-up feature). Yes, the easiest thing to do is to replace the door lock module.

Make sure you have an 8mm triple-square (12-point star) bit for the job. Other than that a normal set of tools will get it done.

Last edited:

dairyman

TDI
jetta
do you have any pics of the exact parts needed to be repalced. I tried to resotter the connections didnt make any difference

thanks for the triple square tip had to go pick one up!

DuaneMiller

TDI
Diaryman,

If you get the part that I listed above, that will be all you need. If you get it, it should take care of many of the issues related with the door.

The instruction link that I posted will step you through the process.....

dzl_nator

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI
Read that post about fixing it yourself for $3.00. I have done this on a new beetle and it is very satisfying to repair the microswitches and circuit boards. These are very cheaply made assemblies.