What do u keep your Diesel additive in?

TDI
2015 Porsche Cayenne diesel, 2005 Audi allroad 6spd, 2007 WCM ultralite (super 7)
for example "power service"... im sure you guys don't keep the huge bottle in your cars... even the smaller bottle has such a wide opening that it will cause me to pour to much into the tank or spill it over the side of the car. ive heard a few of you mention that you carry 1-2 4ounce bottles but i haven't been able to find any. what do you guys recommend that wont be eaten up by the power service.

SilverTDIGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI
What I did was get a few of those ice bags and double-bag the bottle of additive in that. I also use a funnel to pour it in because no matter the size of the bottle, there will always be the slight risk of spilling.
I also keep the funnel and measuring cup in another plastic bag, and all of these are kept sturdy in a cardboard box.

Did you try your local hardware store and look for small glass paint mixing bottles? Maybe call first. They seal well and you can buy additional generic o-rings.

maxforce

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf, 04 Jetta, 84 300SD
I keep mine at home, I fill up, go home and add my power service.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
a sports drink bottle that was purchased in the sporting goods section of walmart. its 32oz which gives me 4 4oz fillings.

2oz powerservice, 1oz soyshield, and 1oz cetane boost per tank...

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I use an old 1 qt oil bottle. It has graduates so you can tell how much you're adding. It pours nicely and does not leak. Be careful using sports bottles. Some plastics can deteriorate from PS. I tried using a Nalgene bottle and it self destructed. The inside of the car spelled of PS for quite some time. I did not find the smell so offensive I'm guessing others (dates) may disagree.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I keep mine at home, I fill up, go home and add my power service.
Exactly what I do. The best bottles for storing PowerService additives are...PowerService bottles! It really doesn't matter whether you add PS when fueling up or add it later at home.

I traveled once with a partially used bottle of PowerService in the car...and it leaked after it got knocked over. It leaked onto the rubber Monster floor mat on the passenger side and stunk up the whole interior.

I went to the local DIY carwash, hung up the floor mat on the carwash wall, and thoroughly blasted it with the high pressure hose. That's what it took to get rid of the PowerService smell inside the car. I'm glad it didn't leak onto the carpeting.

I leave my PowerService additives at home after learning it the hard way.

~ n1das

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
island spice glass bottle is the best. it fit right into the neck. it is about 4 to 5oz. power service melt some plastic bottle.

Lightwave

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2003 Reflex Silver, 2004 NB GLS Sunflower Yellow
A Colavita Olive Oil bottle with oz markings on the side... long neck, easy pour...

Dweebus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI
I had been using a Dasani bottle, and it's worked well. I was thinking about changing to a Poland Springs bottle (1pt .9oz I think?) as it will hold 2 8oz shots of PS wasting little space compared to the 20oz Dasani bottle. The Poland Springs bottle also has a groove in the center to mark 8oz which is nice.
http://www.polandspring.com/ It's the smaller bottle on the homepage.
I may think twice with the reports of melting bottles though.

bikinbruce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS stick 2000 Green
Not my car, in the garage and I transfer it to a quart container, then funnel it in after fill-up.

Less foaming after fill-up!!

Home depot has many small plastic containers meant for mixing paints, they are clear and marked in ounces for accurate measurement.

Bruce

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto
i keep mine in one of those msr bottles.
The kind of metal bottle that you keep fuel in for a backpacking camping stove.mine holds 22 oz
i guestimate 1/2 each time .
you can get them smaller.
availible at any cmaping store..ems..dicks...cabellas..
it has a plastic screw on top with an o ring
will not leak,and is easy to pour in without a funnell.

they look like this
http://www.summithut.com/catalog/remap/product.asp/pfid/1637/

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 (A4), Platinum Gray
Like Dieseldorf, I use glass hot pepper sauce bottles. They are small enough and the glass is usually thick enough to take rough handling. Use a funnel to pour the desired amount of additive into the bottle and then the bottle goes into the trunk. The long neck fit fine in the fill neck.

TDI in Peekskill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf, blue
I use an empty bottle of Jack Daniels. I keep a full bottle of Jack next to me and sip it while I drive. I make sure to empty one between each fillup and replace the contents with PS. Then I go to the filling station and dump half the contents in the tank and drink the rest on the way home. (Wouldn't want any PS to spill out on my floor mats)Also the PS covers up the smell of the Jack on my breath.

Dweebus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI
Can't you use JD as an anti-gel?

I tried the Poland Springs bottle. It's a no-go. It leaked somewhere around the cap. Fortunatly it was in a plastic supermarket bag, so no damage done. I didn't notice any melting plastic from the bottle or shopping bag though.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
I use 10 oz bottles from consolidated plastics. They are made for oil and fuel additives. There's a minimum order of 1 dozen, but they are great bottles. I usually keep 3 or 4 of them in my spare tire well. I've been using them for more than a year and they are in great shape. I've gotten good at filling them with PS without a funnel.

katipo

Veteran Member
snip---full bottle of Jack next to me and sip it while I drive---snip

Jack sure will keep you thawed out when it gets cold...don't know about power service, it tends to give me the scours.

tkindler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2003, white
This looks pretty much like what I have in my garage. I really like my soy sauce bottle, though. Long, narrow neck, no shoulder, so all the liquid gets into the tank and none left over in the bottle. Took forever to empty it, though. I had a half dozen of the seafood sauce bottles similar to the large one in the picture, in no time. We go through one of those in one sitting of fresh boiled shrimp.

The only thing I don't like about glass is the possibility of dropping and breaking it on the driveway when I'm filling.

ErikM98

TDI
Red 1998 Jetta
I have been keeping mine in a 24oz coke bottle i marked off in 2oz levels. So far in 3 months it hasnt started leaking. I keep it in the cupholder in the back seat.

Coke is pretty acidic so I would imagine there bottles are pretty robust.