ac/radiator fan problem

cqpate

TDI
bug 2002(RIP), jetta 2006 silver, jetta 2006 blue
greetings
i have discovered my 'radiator fans' will not work, even with a drive around the block or with air turned on. all related fuses appear normal. cabin fans work normal. low pressure ac appears normal range.
ac clutch will come on and ac will slowly cool to 60deg(vent thermometer) after hour driving hiway speed with 95deg outside. will go to 40deg if morning is cool.
how much effect do theses fans have on ac temp?
02 beetle tdi 230k miles original compressor, new clutch disc

cparagone

TDI
2005.5 jetta 2002 Golf GLS
greetings
i have discovered my 'radiator fans' will not work, even with a drive around the block or with air turned on. all related fuses appear normal. cabin fans work normal. low pressure ac appears normal range.
ac clutch will come on and ac will slowly cool to 60deg(vent thermometer) after hour driving hiway speed with 95deg outside. will go to 40deg if morning is cool.
how much effect do theses fans have on ac temp?
02 beetle tdi 230k miles original compressor, new clutch disc

read this thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699&highlight=check+radiator+fans

i had no fans running and did what dan wrote to repair fans both now work!!

Gluhkerze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2DR TDI Stick
Yup, you need the fan(s)... Very easy to replace. You risk cooking your AC if you don't replace the fan(s) right away. Yes the AC works much better when both fans are spinning on hot days. My cluster gauge never moved off of 190F, but my scangauge II was reporting 209F+ prior to fan replacement. Like said above, check out Dan's thread on this very common issue, and get them replaced ASAP!

cparagone

TDI
If you have the time, fixing the fans is doable in an hour or two, savings aproxx $200 if you buying new fans and putting them in your self, more of you go to dealership or a shop

pcjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, Jetta, Baltic, 2010 Jetta Sedan
When one fan will not run in low speed and the other does It is the fan that is bad? Any other parts in the system that could cause only one fan to run? However the fan runs in high speed....

Ritzar12

TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS
2002 Beetle TDi:

Neither fan runs;
Went through the troubleshooting guide, twice;
fans run when direct power applied;
all named fuses and holders are good;
have power from named connector pins as per guide;
resistances check per guide.

A/C does not function at all. Can the magnetic clutch disable the rest of the system?

Otherwise, I cannot figure out what I am missing.

cparagone

TDI
I personally only have experience with the stuck brushes, your comment should be posted as its own thread or directed at Dan in the thread listed earlier

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
I'm in and looking to get my 2006 Beetle tuned.

Dan, what do you need help with?

cqpate

TDI
bug 2002(RIP), jetta 2006 silver, jetta 2006 blue
well my fans are good. i disconnected thermoswitch at radiator and jumped the connectors and the fans blew me away.
will put in new thermoswitch soon.