Intake manifold gunk?

Noodle138

TDI
Golf, 2000, green
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forums and have a question. Yesterday, while I was at the gas pump, a former TDI owner told me how much he missed his VW and proceeded to tell me that I should have my 2000 Golf taken in for an intake manifold cleaning. He said that after about 40K miles, there is an accumulation of dirt/gunk that leads to a power loss. Is there any truth to this? I have 80K miles on my Golf and have noticed that she doesn't climb hills as well as she used to. Thanks.
Chris

DieselFumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I went 62k miles on my 2002 Jetta TDI and really had little build up in my intake. My EGR, however, was clogged and caused my anti-shutter valve to stick. Anyway, if you're moderately mechanically inclined you can clean it yourself. Here are the instructions: Intake Manifold Cleaning 101. At the very least I suggest you pull the EGR valve off and see how much gunk is in your intake.

Another possible problem with climbing hills could be your MAF. Try disconnecting it and see if you regain your power.

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
The answer is "it depends." Probably. You just need to check it, as DieselFumes states above. My EGR was pulled and cleaned at 80k miles, there was only a thin soot film in the intake - no oily gunk. I pulled the EGR again 2 weeks ago @ 120k miles, and EGR was very clean and intake still had maybe 1/32" coating thereon.
I also know that this is not typical, and there are many with more sever deposits. Can't tell 'till you have a look.

Mark