Replacment of Brake Booster Vacuum Hose

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Is it OK to use a worm screw-style hose clamp to connect the brake booster vacuum hose to the vacuum pump? There is a crimped metal band clamp on there now and I plan to cut it off when I replace the vacuum hose because of a cracked hose. Or should I get the proper clamp from the dealer and use my CV boot clamp pliers to clamp it down, or just try to reuse the old clamp? The new hose did not come with a clamp.

Tx.

--Nate

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
A clamp is a clamp. The rubber hose broke off on mine, right at the end of the vacuum pump. I slipped the remaining hose to the vacuum pump and secured it with a hose clamp. It's been fine for 1000's of miles. I didn't need to buy a new hose and I had a spare clamp in the garage.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is that a factory part? The factory hose comes as an assembly & the clamps are already installed.
It is a genuine factory part and I bought it from one of the vendors on this site, one I highly respect and recommend. I do not think the part is supposed to come with a clamp. Mine did not and it is not pictured. The hose is marked with the VW logo and also came in a sealed bag. Consists of the hard bent plastic vacuum line heat shrunk onto the vacuum check valve and the check valve is clamped to a stubby rubber vacuum line using the same type of clamp that is used to attached the other end of the stubby rubber hose to the vacuum pump:

As you can see, since the clamp on the old line at the vacuum pump is the same as the calmp on the line above, the clamp most likely will be destroyed upon removal.

Below is what looks like the tool used to crimp the clamp down. I have a set of these pliers I used on CV boot clamps (wth ears) in the past:

"Ear-Type CV Boot Clamp Pliers Designed to crimp the ear-type CV boot clamps used on front-wheel drive vehicles May also be used to crimp the type of clamps used on fuel and cooling system hoses Ensures even - precise crimping - and eliminates possibility of damage to the clamp - or hose"

But it looks like a common worm clamp will work and I'll try one and see. I can only imagine the correct clamp is special order from the dealer and will probably by in excess of $7.

--Nate

Last edited:

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
I recently replaced this part, and mine was exactly as pictured, minus the clamp. I just used a regular worm gear clamp, seems to be working fine.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
But it looks like a common worm clamp will work and I'll try one and see. I can only imagine the correct clamp is special order from the dealer and will probably by in excess of $7.

--Nate
It's not rocket science. You just need something that will hold the hose to the vacuum pump. Hell, use zip ties. That will work too!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I already bought the common hose clamps at Advance Auto, but being as anal as I am, I just had to ask about using OEM!

Thanks everyone.

--Nate

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I think I mentioned this already, but after my tandum pump recall, the dealer installed a worm gear. I had to retighten this after market clamp once already, and Oilhammer suggested a spring clamp which I tend to agree. I need to figure out what size to get and where, since I have the proper tools.

Last edited:

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
If this vacuum pump to brake booster hose is old and cracked could it leak oil down the back of the engine to where it gets on the dogbone mount and looks like its a rear main seal leak?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No. The vacuum pump applies suction (vacuum) to the hose, so no oil can come from the pump.

--Nate

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Smoke from bad booster hose

Bimping this up
Could a faulty brake booster hose result in increased smoking?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Yes it could. If the loss of vacuum is enough to prevent the turbo actuator from getting enough vacuum then yes. Many years ago I had the same problem.

Bear Attack

TDI
Jetta GLS
Just because I am a crazy Canuck... I called the stealer for the 8 inch long vacuum hose from the brake booster to the in line check valve. They told me I could not purchase just that piece. It apparently comes all in 1 piece... check valve , both hoses and the end cap to the manifold. $87.00 later... I asked my reg mechanic who made a call and an aftermarket one was nearly $300.00.
For $1.00 , we fixed it. We cut the split ends off the hard plastic vacuum line and got two pieces of 1/2 inch rubber vacuum line hose about 2 1/2 inches long , slipped it over the OEM plastic and then onto the booster and check valve. Rubber hose sections worked as a coupler and all worked 100% perfect........ Until we found a second leak around the crimped booster housing.

Anyone have a quick easy fix for that ?

Mrsnapper

TDI
2003 Beetle, 5spd
Troubleshooting Brake Booster

Just because I am a crazy Canuck... I called the stealer for the 8 inch long vacuum hose from the brake booster to the in line check valve. They told me I could not purchase just that piece. It apparently comes all in 1 piece... check valve , both hoses and the end cap to the manifold. $87.00 later... I asked my reg mechanic who made a call and an aftermarket one was nearly $300.00.
For $1.00 , we fixed it. We cut the split ends off the hard plastic vacuum line and got two pieces of 1/2 inch rubber vacuum line hose about 2 1/2 inches long , slipped it over the OEM plastic and then onto the booster and check valve. Rubber hose sections worked as a coupler and all worked 100% perfect........ Until we found a second leak around the crimped booster housing.

Anyone have a quick easy fix for that ?
Hey Bear - how are you finding/locating these vacuum leaks, any tricks? I suspect I have a bad booster, :eek: (due to hard pedal), so I wanted to rule out these cheaper, easier problems first. Thanks for any input!
Btw - wanted to give you props on your $1.00 fix. Awesome work-around! Thanks!

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Find vacuum leak

Hey Bear - how are you finding/locating these vacuum leaks, any tricks? I suspect I have a bad booster, :eek: (due to hard pedal), so I wanted to rule out these cheaper, easier problems first. Thanks for any input!
Btw - wanted to give you props on your $1.00 fix. Awesome work-around! Thanks!
I have used my stethoscope style noise tracker w/o the metal probe to check for leaks.
Listen around the fitting at the vacuum pump.
Wiggle the fitting a bit.
A vacuum gauge will also show if you have low vacuum.
When I wiggle my pump fitting I loose almost all the vacuum.

If you have good vacuum at idle, the check valve on the booster may be plugged or sticking.

Rich W.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
My system leaks down in like 90min. Based on what I had before its pretty good. But than again I use the simple method. How long before I loose brake boost after engine off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrsnapper

TDI
2003 Beetle, 5spd
I have used my stethoscope style noise tracker w/o the metal probe to check for leaks.
Listen around the fitting at the vacuum pump.
Wiggle the fitting a bit.
A vacuum gauge will also show if you have low vacuum.
When I wiggle my pump fitting I loose almost all the vacuum.
If you have good vacuum at idle, the check valve on the booster may be plugged or sticking.
Rich W.
Hey Rich, is that check valve inside that vacuum line, from pump to booster?
I keep reading that this is a problem area, I'm hoping this will be my issue.
Good idea on the stethoscope, thanks! gotta dig mine out if I can find it.
question: vac pump connects directly to booster right, like a 1-inch dia tube?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey Rich, is that check valve inside that vacuum line, from pump to booster?
I keep reading that this is a problem area, I'm hoping this will be my issue.
Good idea on the stethoscope, thanks! gotta dig mine out if I can find it.
question: vac pump connects directly to booster right, like a 1-inch dia tube?
I thought the fitting at the booster was a check valve.
It always was on American cars for years.

Rich W.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Just a quick question. I know that my booster is shot and needs to be replaced, but can someone explain why my brake booster was full of engine oil? If the vacuum pump is applying negative pressure, then why was oil being sucked into the booster? Could it be bad seals in the pump? I've already replaced the pump and that part of the engine seems to be staying clean compared to the old pump. About 280,000 miles on the old pump when replaced.

Mrsnapper

TDI
2003 Beetle, 5spd
Identifying check valve

Can someone help me locate the booster check valve? not sure if it's the one in the vacuum line or it's directly on the booster? Thanks!!

lovemybug - are you replacing the check-valve as well? Pretty sure that's what it's for, to keep air, oil, etc from traveling the opposite direction, (keeps booster free of crap, debris).
Maybe someone with greater knowledge here can help us out and chime in...? Thx!

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check valve

Can someone help me locate the booster check valve? not sure if it's the one in the vacuum line or it's directly on the booster? Thanks!!
I ran out to mine to look.
The fitting at the booster does not appear to have the check valve I remember.
I suspect its the one closer to the pump.

Rich W.

Mrsnapper

TDI
2003 Beetle, 5spd
booster check valve

Thx for the reply. Yeah, just saw a video on this and it's def an in-line valve about 4 inches up from the pump.
Called my parts store and they want to sell me the 2 hoses and valve as a set for $50 buks! :eek: (just like Bear said)

I'm wondering how specific these chk valves are since Amzn has some for as little as $8 buks. Has anyone tried using a universal type valve? :confused:

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Just a quick question. I know that my booster is shot and needs to be replaced, but can someone explain why my brake booster was full of engine oil? If the vacuum pump is applying negative pressure, then why was oil being sucked into the booster? Could it be bad seals in the pump? I've already replaced the pump and that part of the engine seems to be staying clean compared to the old pump. About 280,000 miles on the old pump when replaced.
That sounds like your cam seal on the pump end of the valve cover gave up and is leaking engine oil. If the outside seal gives up, it goes all over the engine, but you could conceivably dump into the booster through the pump, without going on the engine.

Regarding the vacuum valves, the pump has a valve inside the outlet connector, that likes to leak after it's been on the road for a number of miles/years.
There are numerous threads about trying to seal it or replace it without replacing the whole pump.
I cheated with my leaky pump valve, and sealed it with a bit of vacuum bag tape. It's basically the gooier, stickier cousin of the rubber tape used on air conditioning insulation.