'86 Suzuki Samurai TDI Swap

number3114

Veteran Member
TDI
Suzuki Samurai Tintop
What vehicle did the air intake assembly come off of. I love the set up.
Thanks, I felt really lucky to find a low-profile air-filter-box that fit so nicely into that spot.

The air-filter box came from a 1987 Honda Prelude (it is normally turned on its side and squeezed between the Prelude's engine and firewall). The box had an unfinished (ugly) surface exposed, which I covered with the green metal plate & ACME sticker. I shortened the main air-box tube, which fits perfectly around the VW air-mass-meter. The flexible hose was a universal tube purchased from Summit Racing. I used steel tubing to fabricated the remaining section leading to the turbo.

One of these days, I plan to redirect the inlet hose so that air is drawn more from the side facing the fender. Right now, it tends to suck in leaves and debris that collect behind the headlight.

number3114

Veteran Member
TDI
Suzuki Samurai Tintop
What lift pump are you using?
I'm not even really sure what a "lift pump" is, though I haven't added any additional fuel pumps. The stock injector pump (which may or may not have an internal lift pump) seems to draw enough fuel all by itself... I just need to make sure the lines are fully primed first.

whoabeats

TDI
98 RIP, 00 chugging along

I was referring to what i have circled. I could have made a silly mistake and maybe it is just the filter setup or even something else, but I thought it resembled an electric carter lift pump.

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
looks like a fuel filter assembly to me. Almost like a generic remote oil filter housing.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
My parents just sent me pix of your rig, they're on vacation in Arizona and Nevada right now. It's a really good looking rig!

number3114

Veteran Member
TDI
Suzuki Samurai Tintop
My parents just sent me pix of your rig, they're on vacation in Arizona and Nevada right now. It's a really good looking rig!
Thanks. Sadly, the car has weathered a bit since my original pictures, but seems to still be going strong :).

If anyone wants a little more info, I added a few more pictures and better descriptions to the front page:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3675917&postcount=4
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3675929&postcount=5

Last edited:

bigjohn62

TDI
1.9 tdi 1997 passat in a zuk
thanks so much .for the information. wiring is certainly not my strong point. you sure do have a nice rig!! hope this info gets me started up. thanks a bunch.

number3114

Veteran Member
TDI
Suzuki Samurai Tintop
Paint Update: Sprayed with Monstaliner bed liner (color is Jungle Love)

Last edited:

nwca

TDI
99 beetle tdi, 2003 golf TDI, 2003 beetle cabrio
One sweet looking rig, you ever take it on the Rubicon? I live West of you, over on the coast. Have a 2004 TJ Rubi I might take on the trail one day...might even put a TDI in it one day..

nomoremondays

TDI
1.9 AHU into a Samurai!
So....talk about reviving a dead post. I saw this rig on the road this weekend in Canon City, CO I think. Its pretty distinctive, so either this one or a tribute build.