Rear foglight for 2013 Jetta Sportswagon

matti

TDI
Jetta Sportswagen TDI 2013
Hello,
I need to install rear foglight for my Jetta Sportswagon 2013 TDI (US model). So far I understand I'll need "euro switch" with two "steps" so that also rear foglight could be activated. What else I need and from where to get?
(I have the "basic" TDI model without sunroof)

Thanks a Lot!!
Matt

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
YOu'll also need a driver's side tail light assembly, as the rear fog light takes place of the rear driver reverse light (you can certainly use a quality red bulb... don't know what's good though).

And you need a wire going from the headlight switch to the BCM (at minimum) and a VCDS to do BCM code change

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Hello,
I need to install rear foglight for my Jetta Sportswagon 2013 TDI (US model). So far I understand I'll need "euro switch" with two "steps" so that also rear foglight could be activated. What else I need and from where to get?
All Sportwagens (Golf Variant in Germany) use the same rear taillights, basic model or not. Anyway, as stated above you need a new left rear tail light assembly, a switch, wire, etc. Now my main question - Why do you "need" a rear fog light? Are you taking this car to Europe? The reason I ask is that I have met a few people who installed them and every one wishes that they hadn't wasted the money. Nobody in America knows what they are for, they are rarely used and they make your tail lights look uneven. I think that OEMPlus sells the tail light you need (there are probably other sources as well). I doubt that you will have to order it from Germany.

Have Fun!

Don

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
You would likely get pulled over and harassed for having a brake light malfunctioning long before getting rear ended in the fog, but its your car, I know ecs sells triger wires, and it looks like the going rate for a Chinese euro switch is in the 20 dollar range, I just picked one up, Ill post on the quality when it arrives. Im in the process of front fog lights, picking up the pieces as I find bargains.

Last edited:

nakkers

TDI
2014 Golf Wagen TDI DSG CL
Hey, if the OP wants to have it and just wants to know how to do it, all the power to him.

Is there a benefit? Is it costly? Is it worth it? Will is cause any problems for them in the future? I think that is really up to them to decide.

It's a personal preference.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I followed a MINI in a light rain/snowstorm with one a few years ago and that thing was annoying as heck, but I have to admit, effective in keeping me back to 10 car lengths to avoid having a hole burnt into my retinas. Definitely not what it was intended for because visibility was not so bad as the MINI (and everyone else) was clearly visible with that kind of storm, so the driver was either clueless or a jerk.

The flip side are those 200 car pileups you read about in Florida and Texas every few years, due to dense fog and/or low lying smoke from brush fires. In those kinds of conditions, rare as they are, you wish everyone had a rear foglight. It's the same as with front fogs or high beams. Use them right, even if once in a blue moon, and they can be effective.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Hello,

Thanks a Lot!!
Matt
You "need"? Do you live in a fogy place? As JSWTDI09 said, don't waste your money if you don't need it.

I put on front fog lights two years ago; hardly used them.... The saving grace is I just moved to where I have go through the neighborhood streets to navigate to my house... Vs. being just off a well lit main thoroughfare. They come in handy at night, making turns with dark corners.... fog lights help illuminate the turns.

Fog lights look cool. The rear fog light would not add to the looks of your car as was said, it would be asymmetric. I believe Myturbodiesel has a page on the subject.

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
most people customize their cars for different reasons. if they guy wants to spend his money on the upgrade who are we to steer him away from it? there are a lot of people on these forums that have unnecessary upgrades.

matti

TDI
Jetta Sportswagen TDI 2013
Hi, Thanks for hints, I'm checking with the local dealers for quotes.
FYI:Yes the reason why I need the rear foglight is due to my moving to Europe where this is legal requirement...

Thanks
Matt

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Hi, Thanks for hints, I'm checking with the local dealers for quotes.
FYI:Yes the reason why I need the rear foglight is due to my moving to Europe where this is legal requirement...

Thanks
Matt
your local dealership won't stock the tail light with the red lens for the fog light

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
most people customize their cars for different reasons. if they guy wants to
spend his money on the upgrade who are we to steer him away from it?
there are a lot of people on these forums that have unnecessary upgrades.
What is your point. We are giving advice... I wish people would have
steered me away from my less than stellar decisions. They were no bad,
just not great value or payback. It is my opinion and those of others for
USA drivers (not required to have this option) there is better ways to spend
your money. This is just the web, advice is given and taken or not, no one
is forcing him. Why are you rebutting? I just don't get the point. We are all
trying to help him, not rain on his fog light parade.

By the way stock rear red running lights are pretty good "fog lights". Ever
watch the news when they have big pile ups due to fog? Lights are not a
panacea for safe driving in fog. If the fog is dense, lights do nothing.

Last edited:

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
Putting in a rear fog light in a JSW does not have to be hard, nor does it have to be expensive.

You can buy a new Euro spec drivers side tail light...or you can just put in a nice red bulb in the US spec housing.

You will need a Euro Switch. (The trigger for the rear fog light (from pin 7 at the Euroswitch) goes to pin 17 on the black connector.)

You will have to swap wires in the BCM harness. (For MK VI electronics, Swap pin 47 on the gold connector with pin 28 on the black connector)

You will have to recode the BCM. VCDS makes this fairly easy. (RoW Golf should do it.)

I've done this on three JSWs. The biggest hassle is with the State's annual vehicle safety inspection. They think the back-up light isn't working. FWIW, I put in bright LED bulbs in the remaining tail light.

Last edited:

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
What is your point. We are giving advice... I wish people would have
steered me away from my less than stellar decisions. They were no bad,
just not great value or payback. It is my opinion and those of others for
USA drivers (not required to have this option) there is better ways to spend
your money. This is just the web, advice is given and taken or not, no one
is forcing him. Why are you rebutting? I just don't get the point. We are all
trying to help him, not rain on his fog light parade.

By the way stock rear red running lights are pretty good "fog lights". Ever
watch the news when they have big pile ups due to fog? Lights are not a
panacea for safe driving in fog. If the fog is dense, lights do nothing.
cool story bro!!!

tdi2vr6

TDI
Jetta, 2000 - Silver-Flex
Fog lights look cool. The rear fog light would not add to the looks of your car as was said, it would be asymmetric. I believe Myturbodiesel has a page on the subject.
Sadly there are so many morons driving German cars that on a crystal clear night have their rear fogs on.

fitzfaced

TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Putting in a rear fog light in a JSW does not have to be hard, nor does it have to be expensive.

You can buy a new Euro spec drivers side tail light...or you can just put in a nice red bulb in the US spec housing.

You will need a Euro Switch. (The trigger for the rear fog light (from pin 7 at the Euroswitch) goes to pin 17 on the black connector.)

You will have to swap wires in the BCM harness. (For MK VI electronics, Swap pin 47 on the gold connector with pin 28 on the black connector)

You will have to recode the BCM. VCDS makes this fairly easy. (RoW Golf should do it.)

I've done this on three JSWs. The biggest hassle is with the State's annual vehicle safety inspection. They think the back-up light isn't working. FWIW, I put in bright LED bulbs in the remaining tail light.

Just saw this thread and had to check it out.

I have a Mk6 JSW, and I’ve already done the euro switch upgrade as well as the programming.. My DRLs aren’t working, and I get the notification every time I get in the car. The left reverse light doesn’t work anymore, but there’s no error message for that. When I activate the rear fog, my right high beam comes on. Once I switch the wires on the BCM and the CECM, will that clear everything up?

Last edited:

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
What do you mean by reprogramming BCM? Did you change byte 18?
Consider that a JSW does not have the same byte 18 coding as a golf and that the ROW wiring harness is possibly different than the NA harness. You might want to check the RossTech forum, several people who have done similar mods have posted there, but be aware they mostly have Golfs or GTIs.

If you need a list of codes for the JSW I think VW362 is the model number, send me a PM.