Okay, I need some help...

pearing

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
New to this diesel game. 2015 TDI sportwagon. LOVE the mileage, but understand I can get better with better fuel. How do I find out if my local station (Kwik Trip or Cenex) are selling me the 49 CET (Hope that is the right acronym...) that I need? If they are not, what additive would you guys recommend

Also, a second question... is $82 a decent price for 6 qts Castrol Edge Professional, filter and a pan plug? I had no idea this was going to be so difficult-nearest VW dealer is 2 hrs away, and I am a DIY guy, but... this is fringe and makes me nervous. Need help here, but the discussions are too factious and frankly assume I know things I do not. I don't know any thing except I need 507 spec oil. The Acronyms drive me nuts as well. Direction please.

So, can you help? I need kit gloves. Quick study, just need direction... A tad over whelmed at the moment; and, honestly it seems as if it shouldn't be this difficult.

Thanks

Pat

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Best idea for fuel is trial and error. Try a station, see what FE you get, try another. Then pick the one that's convenient and gives you the best FE. I was in Wisconsin (although considerably south of you) last weekend and found that Mobil stations are promoting a "diesel efficient" fuel. Don't know if there's anything to it, but I got great FE on this trip. Worth a shot.

Regarding the oil change kit, consider online (shameless plug) https://www.idparts.com/20l-tdi-oil-change-kit-cvcacrua-p-4752.html

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would just buy fuel and not worry about it. You don't need an additive and even if you did use one you more than likely won't know the difference anyway. It won't offset the cost of buying/using it vs the economy it may promise to return, more than likely. IBW's suggestion is the best here. Just try some different places and see what you show as best. Use the online fuel tracker http://www.fuelly.com to track your results. How you drive it probably makes more difference than anything you can add.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
IDParts is the best company in the world. I had an issue with my order and they shipped out a second unit to me at no cost.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
Pearing never heard of those fuel stations here in Canada, do a google search on them if You want to use them.? in my TDI i only use Shell Diesel but every 3-4 tankfull i will use there V-Power to keep fuel system clean. a clean Fuel system will in-return give You best performance & fuel economy.

as far as the Oil goes Mobil1 ESP is 507 rated to use i only use vw dealer oil wich is Castrol 5w30 Professional $9.99 a bottle & $17.oo for filter still cheaper than buying mobile1 esp at $15.00 Canadian a bottle in my opinion.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Unfortunately we don't have V-Power diesel in the US. I've filled with it in Canada and it does seem to make a difference.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/2015_Jetta_20k_Service.pdf

I put this together a couple years ago. pretty close to your car.

there are a couple other how-to threads here.

https://www.idparts.com/oil-filter-drain-tool-ea288-p-6949.html

Looks like idparts has found/made a product that helps manage the mess of draining the oil filter cap.

As you explore fuel options, keep in mind that the chemical composition of diesel fuel is modified in winter months (and before to fill distribution channels with the proper fuel. This makes the fuel work better in very cold conditions, but reduces the energy content (and the MPG).

Last edited:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Drive more, worry less.

So many people try to overthink their new vehicle. Drive it. Enjoy it.

The only thing I do worry about is when we have those super cold spells like in 2012. If it is going to get down to like -25 for a few days dump in some white power service just in case.

pearing

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Thanks everyone-this is what I needed. Ordered materials from ID. Have a better feel for the car this weekend when I install the Frostheater...

Pat