Long crank @ only ~60F.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
After months of unbearable heat here in ATL we finally cooled down starting last weekend (mid 70's day - low 60's night but going to drop to mid to low 40's next week).

Well this morning it was probably 58-60 degrees (MFD said 62), hopped in turned the key and waited for warning lights to go out which is my typical start procedure on cold starts. Car has always fired off by the 2nd or 3rd revolution, this morning it was ~7-8 revolutions before it finally fired off. Engine ran just fine once started and did not act unusual, just took a lot longer than usual and took me off guard considering 60 is still warm in the grand scheme of the temps the CR TDI testing was subjected to.

I found the other thread but seems that is for the 2015+ Gen 3 engines with VVT. Also doubt its water in the intercooler - we had 95-100 degrees for almost a month straight with no rain and low for our area humidity.

Anyhow - this is probably the coldest the car has seen since I purchased in first part of April. What gives? Anyone else experience anything similar outside of intercooler icing issues?

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
check your battery.. when was it replaced last? I'm in Athens Ga. Funny because mine would n ot start later today... the battery...jumped it and started right off.. started seeing a little slower starts in the last week or so ,,then installed the Kerma tune today..that did it...battery gave out..gotta get a new one!..by the way ..I own a shop here..if I can help let me know..have vcds etc..

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I found the other thread but seems that is for the 2015+ Gen 3 engines with VVT
The other thread is most, maybe all, with the older car and engine. One post just suggested a diagnosis that it turns out doesn't apply to our cars. We're all in this together.

I still think it's fuel delivery related, but I can't prove it and I'm not an expert about cars.

Last edited:

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
check your battery.. when was it replaced last? I'm in Athens Ga. Funny because mine would n ot start later today... the battery...jumped it and started right off.. started seeing a little slower starts in the last week or so ,,then installed the Kerma tune today..that did it...battery gave out..gotta get a new one!..by the way ..I own a shop here..if I can help let me know..have vcds etc..
New battery was installed when CPO in March 2019 so its maybe 7 months old if that. Have not really seen any slow starts.

The other thread is most, maybe all, with the older car and engine. One post just suggested a diagnosis that it turns out doesn't apply to our cars. We're all in the together.
I still think it's fuel delivery related, but I can't prove it and I'm not an expert about cars.
So decided to read whole thread, last peruse of it saw just the EA288 posts and kinda moved along. Sounds exactly like same issue I am having, I'll have to monitor and see if it was a one off or if it keeps happening. Thanks for heads up on that! Guess I need to read fully - LOL.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Have you actually check the date on the "new" battery??..I would..also check voltage on battery..this would definitively dismiss battery problems..

Moik145

TDI
2012 MK 6 Golf 2door Hatchback 6 speed manual.
I had the same thing happen to me earlier this week. But it was on the second start of the day. I drive my son to daycare 3 blocks from the house. Each morning. Once I dropped off my son I went to start my car, and it took a good 6 cranks to fire. Temp was around 50 f. Car was still stone cold. Battery is brand new. I've had car for only a week now. Put on about 400 miles since I've had it. From the research I saw was problem had to do with vvt. Found a great video on youtube about it by diagnose dan. He replaced the vvt with a new one which was redesigned apparently by VW. I check under my hood I have the new redesign from the looks of it. Plan on keeping an eye on it as I go along I suppose.