2011 Jetta sportwagen emmission modification EGR questions

brkdrvr

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd manual 140K, 2012 JSW TDI A/T 50K, 2014 JSW TDI A/T 40K, Ross Tech VCDS-MOBILE
Hello, I'm looking for someone who has has the emissions modification done on a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen. We are getting ready to accept the settlement and keep our 2011 and have just gotten a P0401 insufficient flow - intermittent code. I am wondering if VW is going to replace the EGR cooler filter or just the DPF during fix? I have heard several stratagies discussed but can't seem to find any actual facts. I don't want to change the filter myself if VW will do it but do not want to drop it off for fix and find out dealer is going to replace filter and or cooler and charge me $$$$. Any help or info is appreciated.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=445921

is worth a glance.

if there is any soot at all in your tailpipe, the P0401 error is from a clogged low pressure EGR filter (aka tube), not the cooler.

this is from a cracked DPF.

the emissions fix includes a new NOX cat, and a replacement part for your clogged filter, but since your car (2011) has a separate DPF, not welded to the NOX cat, it does not include a new DPF.

you will be expected to have the DPF fixed before they put the new parts on for the emissions update.

depending on how far gone your DPF is, you might be able to trick the system, by resetting codes, and then driving until the readiness is set. (through a full DPF regeneration run by the car in its own sweet time) but if the DPF is too far gone, or the EGR filter too clogged up, the error will show up before readiness. (the warranty after the fix is applied covers the DPF, but this will not help you get them to apply the fix on a broken car)

one sure way is to replace the DPF, but this is not simple, and there are a couple pressure sensors, and more than a a couple temperature sensors to get off and replace without breaking.

you can search for a good used one, or replace the DPF. they are close to $1000 plus core exchange for a rebuilt part.

brkdrvr

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd manual 140K, 2012 JSW TDI A/T 50K, 2014 JSW TDI A/T 40K, Ross Tech VCDS-MOBILE
There is definitely tailpipe soot and has been for at least 20,000 miles, am now at 85,000 miles. Just got the first P 0401 code (there were actually two when I checked VCDS). I cleared codes and was thinking of replacing EGR filter. I have read numerous posts some claiming you must replace the DPF before VW will do the fix While others claim VW has replaced their DPF under a goodwill program. They are apparently going to replace my daughters 2009 sportwagen DPF as part of the fix. I was hoping to come up with a strategy where I can get the fix and then have the DPF replaced after it is back under warranty. I have followed your link and read some of the data I guess I will have to look at Ross Tech site to and try and figure out what the actual condition of my DPF is. I guess my fallback will be to replace the DPF prior to dropping off for fix and I hope they replace everything else, I really hate the idea of dropping thousand dollars on the DPS and finding out it would’ve been done under the fix or goodwill. I also question whether they would replace the EGR filter if DPF was new and no codes are showing. The more i read it would seem that the dealer will simply look at the exhaust, see the soot and refuse the fix and save VW the money. I am very inclined to do whatever I can to get the emissions upgrade and then have the DPF replaced under warranty as it should have been in first place but don't see how that is possible once the dealer sees the soot in exhaust pipe. Thx, Mike

Last edited:

andykurz

TDI
shopping
I will be turning my car in later this year and am driving it in the meantime. My car triggered a P0401 code this past summer. Since it is not harmful to the car, I have kept driving it (thanks to the advice of members on this forum).

My CEL will go off sometimes - often for days or even a week or two. It's the first time I've ever had a staring contest with a CEL and won! :D Perhaps, perhaps not, you will have the same experience and have you CEL go off for awhile. I'm not sure how much lead time you need to give VW for the fix and if that may help you at all. Could your CEL go off and you then take it to VW?

Only anecdotal, but I feel the harder I drive the car the more often the CEL goes OFF. However, it always, eventually comes back on.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Take it in for the fix and see what they say. You can always fix it later if need be. Maybe you will get lucky and they will do it.

Have you considered the buy back and just getting an already updated 2015?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
if it goes a while between the P0401 error,

the strategy is to clear the codes, drive till the emissions checks clean,

check with VCDS to verify no codes pending or stored in the OBD area,

and take it in for the fix.

this will let the computer checks pass,

not sure if VW has become smart enough to add a soot check to the modification procedure.

the new low pressure EGR filter is part of the fix, and will be changed no matter the condition of the old one. the new part is a different design.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Take it in for the fix and see what they say. You can always fix it later if need be. Maybe you will get lucky and they will do it.

Have you considered the buy back and just getting an already updated 2015?

but if they start the fix, and detect the problem, they will not complete the fix on a car with a bad DPF.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
For those that have a sooty exhaust pipe, stock emission system and with VCDS, take the time to log your coolant temperature during your drive.

My car, for at least the last 3 years, the inside of the tail pipe has been coated with a very slight layer of soot, light enough that you can't tell by looking at it. Starting from summer of last year, the soot accumulation started to get heavier. Right about the time before I experienced engine overheating, during mid Oct to early Nov, I got my first P0401 code, cleared it and came back a week later. By that time, the soot accumulation was starting become TERRIBLE. The entire inner surface of the exhaust pipe was cover with thick layer of soot, so thick that if I wipe it with my finger, I'd have to really scrub the skin hard to clean it off. I was thinking the DFP was pretty much severely cracked, toasted and I may have to pay for a new DPF when I send the car in for the emission fix.

However, as soon as my thermostat got replaced early November, I noticed a significant reduction of soot accumulation. The reduced soot level covering the inside of the exhaust pipe was so dramatic, it was like back to when it was couple years ago. I had the 2nd thermostat installed by dealer due to some installation mistake but the soot accumulation continue to be low, and the P0401 code never once came back again between November till the day I send my car in for the emission fix early this week.

I don't know if the TDI's ECU would enrich fuel ratio during an engine overheating situation, but in racing with gasoline powertrain, that's one of the ways to reduce cylinder head temp. If this is the case, overly rich fuel mixture and improper combustion may lead to situation where the soot reduction capability of the DPF is exceeded. As soon as the thermostat got replaced, with engine temperature back to normal, the DPF albeit slightly cracked already, is able to work close to normal again.

My point is that although P0401 may very well point toward a cracked DPF, there may be other operation conditions that would increase the load of DPF thus increasing the occurrence of the P0401 warning. It's prudent to find the cause and perform the necessary repair. In my case, although the thermostat isn't easy to fix, it puts the temperature back to normal and most likely saved me from paying for a new DPF.

Last edited:

brkdrvr

TDI
Fastalan, very interesting in the days prior to getting CEL (less than a week) we experienced very cold temperatures in the evenings and just after that I noticed a small amount of coolant blow off in the snow, over the following week we added three or four ounces of coolant a couple of times and none since. I poked around but did not locate the source but was concerned that with 85,000 + miles it might be the water pump seals and planned to drop the belly pan this weekend and find out what’s up. I was hoping it might be a hose, connection, or even the coolant tank, but have a timing belt kit w/new water pump on hand just in case. I never really considered the thermostat and will have to get out Bentley to see where it is. I will also spend several hours w/VCDS-MOBILE trying to learn how to get DPF ash readings and will try to c/o water temps also.
BTW to everyone else reading this I contacted VW USA and asked them (reps name was Portia, have a feeling it was spelled Porsche) point blank if I was going to end up getting billed $2,000 by the dealership for DPF replacement if DPF was bad prior to doing modification, she said they used to before VW realized what a problem the DPF’s were and that it would now be replace it as part of the fix if required. I also called the service dept at the local dealer and asked the service rep the same thing, his answer was circuitous but similar, he stated that they would not check the DPF if no code was showing (I did not mention codes only that a local independent mechanic who does not work on diesels told me that my DPF is bad because he saw the sooty tail pipe). The mechanic is a friend who I was visiting while dropping off my waste oil, he saw the soot and asked me about it because he has heard the same thing, ‘09 - ‘13 VW TDI soot = failed DPF.
My plan now is to drop it off either way, I’m hoping P0401 comes back and stays, I would like to drop it off with code showing. If they replace DPF and do update great, if they try to get me to foot DPF I will argue first and then do it myself if there is no alternative. I have to say these gyrations are particularly irritating since they (VW) will automatically replace the DPF in my daughters ‘09 TDI Sportwagen with nearly 2x the miles and then give her $5000.00 while I get no DPF and nearly the same for newer car. Will update what happens. Mike

Last edited:

brkdrvr

TDI
iamatt, Thx I might do that but I’d rather VW to put a new one in. My plan is to replace timing belt and water pump shortly after ERG work & DPF is done and then get a tune, back to a better/more original tune similar to what’s in our ‘06 Golf, it’s supposed to be @45 more hp, 2-3 mpg better and manages EGR better resulting in less crap in EGR and intake manifold (cleaned EGR valve, replaced EGR cooler and cleaned intake manifold @ 120,000, on of nastiest jobs ever). The Jetta should get the same or better mpg, pick up 25-30 hp and manage the EGR and DPF regen cycles to get more life out of DPF. Will let you know. Thx, Mike

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Brkdrvr, I would make sure I got everything agreed upon and sorted out privately with the dealer service agent before dropping the car in if the CEL for P0401 is active. Otherwise, just clear the code, clean up the soot and drop the car in for the fix. The dealer should not play hardball with the customer because if we receive an excellent and trouble free experience at the dealer, many would most likely stick with VW and use the dealer for future service or parts. I have no idea how long our current DPF would last with the fixed tune, perhaps a couple years, maybe a few months, I can monitor the ash load and simply wait, but we are all warranty covered anyway so I am not going to worry about it.

Owners that accept the emission fix are now VW's new emission component guinea pig. Just a few days ago, there were news from German media regarding the government now actually looking to ask the manufacturers to update the older diesel cars not only with software, but also with some hardware. The gen 1 cars in North America have the configuration most closely resemble the SCR less European VW diesels (all the various models with the EA188 engine). By accepting the emission fix package and continue driving the car with stock configuration, we're actually doing VW a favor providing some real life durability data for these new components.

Matthewhovis

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Don't do it. We had our 2010 Sportwagen modified for the emissions scam and the car is ruined. Loss of power, major loss of mpgs, and worst of all it regens dpf every time we drive. My advice is to keep it the way it is.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Don't do it. We had our 2010 Sportwagen modified for the emissions scam and the car is ruined. Loss of power, major loss of mpgs, and worst of all it regens dpf every time we drive. My advice is to keep it the way it is.
Do you ever let it finish the DPF burnoff? Otherwise this will come to a sad ending rather sooner than later...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My guess is that the install of fix components is not correct. (my bet on one of the pressure sensors)

take it back to the dealer and be firm on what your observations are, and ask them to fix it.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
If the DPF is regening "every time" you drive it, either something is wrong with the car or your are simply not letting the last regen finished. Have you given the car a good 20-30 min highway ran?

Goatfish

TDI
2011 Jetta
There is something not correct with how your emission fix was performed if this is what your experiencing . I had mine done last September and can say there has been very little negative impact on the performance of my car . Yes I do notice a very slight loss in power but were not driving sports cars here , lets be real .

brkdrvr

TDI
Emmission update performed by dealer

Ok, Here is the latest, The dealer has now done the initial update for our 2011 Sportwagen. We dropped the car off with no codes showing as the EGR insufficient flow code P0401 had cleared itself and not returned. According to the dealer paper work the Catalyst was changed along with programming.

We picked up car and my wife drove to Ga on a 1500,00 mi + round trip during which the check engine light came back on. When she arrived home I read the codes and got P2002 & P0401, dealer notes say they tested exhaust flap & turbo tested ok DPF did not pass. Dealer paper work says they replaced DPF and EG sensor and sundry other parts (pipes, bolts, gaskets, clips etc. everything at N/C. So we now have a 2011 Sportwagen with new: DPF, CAT, and other parts + $5,500.00 cash already banked. Car runs fine so far I just wish the EGR filter was replaced.

I have the Kerma TDI loader and will load the new program to restore HP, torque and milage this week, they also claim it will preform re-gens better, keep EGR filter and system cleaner as well as intake manifold. I am hoping this saga is over on perhaps the P0401 will return as it is my impression that if it does the EGR filter will be replaced also.

brkdrvr

TDI
A few weeks have passed and the car seemed ok with new emissions "fix": my wife (the primary driver) says, "the around town milage might actually be better but the hwy seems worse". The Kerma TDI Q-loader arrived a few days ago and I have downloaded and installed the new tune. It's the wife's car so I have only driven it once on a 120 mile round trip. My take is the car drives better than before, the around town milage seems the same highway seems better. I felt like there was more torque. The wife says way more torque, she was spinning wheels the first day in the rain (manual 6 speed) she thinks milage is better all the time, esp. highway. I will know better about milage after lacrosse season after Yakima skybox is removed.
Note** My daughters 2009 Sportwagen just got the emissions fix and her CAL was not on for the 1st time in @ 24,000 mi. She says the car was actually much better than it has been (I believe her DPF was bad and poss the EGR filter) VW had the car for 4 working days. Then three days after getting it back the CEL light when off, the cause was likely the O2 sensor that fell out and was dragging on the ground when she looked under the car. The car is back at the dealer now, 2 days this time. She has had a free loaner from the dealer both times.

Last edited: