Replacment for displacment!!!!!

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 A3 TDI 5spd, 86 w/TDI 02A in prog.
Aren't A pumps similar to P pumps and have some timing advance built in to the port timing on the plungers?

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Andy..was great to meet! Really enjoyed seeing your car project in person and talking shop. :) Guys..Andy's custom cast iron head is pretty amazing..it is very hard to tell that it is not a factory quality casting. Very impressed.

I think Andy is finally convinced that upgrading from an OEM cam to custom cam is a go move for over 375HP! :D I think we will see HP numbers go up a good 20-25hp after that single change and required boost numbers will drop.

Looking forward to returning later this week when you test out the other turbo..should be a blast! :D

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
Dumb newbie question, are you running dual/twin/tandem timing belts ?
Looks like it in the pics on post #1

If yes, details please.

shadowmaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2.5TDI
Really nice looking video Andy! And the power is starting to accumulate as you have found some revs out of it.;)

Our MB project got some bad vibes with saised rev limit (6800 -> 7500rpm) and we got almost nothing out of it this summer. We knew that those extra 800rpm would cause us difficulties, but as I was told that making best power over 7000rpm is impossible on diesel...:cool:

Here's a nice burnout with none of our ALS system engaged. Just after this it blew HG as original water pump can't tolarate these kind of revs.

http://youtu.be/NbShuHhQq6k

Hopefully we get it on rollers before summer. Target is >750bhp and a high 9sec on 1/4mile with full interior and a tow bar. Still using original AT.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Foxracer - The plungers in my "A" pump don't advance the timing like some plungers found in "P" pumps.

JasonG - The second timing belt is basically there as insurance.I don't think its quite neccesary but we didn't want the injection pump to possibly cause a belt failure.When we blew up the last engine the timing belts kept everything in time and save us form damaging any valves or the cylinder head.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
Really nice looking video Andy! And the power is starting to accumulate as you have found some revs out of it.;)

Our MB project got some bad vibes with saised rev limit (6800 -> 7500rpm) and we got almost nothing out of it this summer. We knew that those extra 800rpm would cause us difficulties, but as I was told that making best power over 7000rpm is impossible on diesel...:cool:

Here's a nice burnout with none of our ALS system engaged. Just after this it blew HG as original water pump can't tolarate these kind of revs.

http://youtu.be/NbShuHhQq6k

Hopefully we get it on rollers before summer. Target is >750bhp and a high 9sec on 1/4mile with full interior and a tow bar. Still using original AT.

Thanks shadow,That car in your video sounds like its spooling a very large turbo :)

We just had my car running tonight to check things over for tomarrows big test.We only have the GTA4082 in the loop this time and wanted to be sure we could spool it up before feeding it with a gt45.

Boost starts to build at approx 7000 rpm. It makes 30 psi boost and 20 psi EMP without loading the engine.Took the car outside and slowly brought the rpms up to 7000 and there was an red glow 18" above the hood stack.I dumped the clutch in our gravel driveway and the car took off :D

As long as the weather is good tomarrow Louis and I will be testing this turbo out to get some readings.

shadowmaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2.5TDI
You are correct with the turbo size on our MB.:D We have no spooling issues with all our ALS systems engaged (around 1bar @2500rpm, around 4bar @3500rpm) and we need no NOS (or any other bottle gas for that matter) to burn all the fuel our pump can deliver.

A compoud system would be my choise for our engine, but as I'm not the one who pays the bills with this project...

Your compound system sounds really nice as 30psi without load is more than needed.:cool: What's the max boost and EMP with your setup?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
You are correct with the turbo size on our MB.:D We have no spooling issues with all our ALS systems engaged (around 1bar @2500rpm, around 4bar @3500rpm) and we need no NOS (or any other bottle gas for that matter) to burn all the fuel our pump can deliver.

A compoud system would be my choise for our engine, but as I'm not the one who pays the bills with this project...

Your compound system sounds really nice as 30psi without load is more than needed.:cool: What's the max boost and EMP with your setup?
Are you guys making 700hp just with a gt4082klnv? I also have one but looks about compareable size as a he351ve..

what oxidizer/air source are you using for the ALS in the merc? or you use H2O2?

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI

The gta4082 that we were testing is by itself for now.We just wanted to see if it could be spooled up.We tried testing it tonight leaving the vanes in a fixed position and made 80 psi I think.Not 100 % sure what the boost and emp's were but Louis might have captured the info on his camera.We might have some inj pump issues now as the engine want's to run away.I had to use the air shuttdown valve twice to keep the engine from running away.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Hey Andy..lots of fun today! I am working on getting the youtube vids up but I might have to convert formats first. They are in quicktime and it seems to be an issue right now.

Here is Andy standing with his new LP turbo..GT4594. Note the big grin that such a large turbo will induce. It is impossable to not grin when holding it. :D

Today Andy was testing the GTA4082V from a Hino. So no compound set-up today..just the one turbo. He was wondering what sort of spool and peak boost he would get from it.

THis is the car warming up for the run. It sat in a heated shop over night and started fairly quick with some ether assistance. Not sure if you can tell in the pic, but Andy rearranged his fuel system in the cab and installed a passanger seat so that I could go for a ride on the test runs. :D

I had to take this pic. umm what does that liscence plate say...its a little to smoky to read.

Warming it up for a night run. Unfortunately the pump seemed to have some issues so we canned the run. Fortunate that we did not go again as the local pohpoh were looking for a car very similar to this one....:p Anyways..thought this was a great picture so had to post it.

Anouther night shot.

After closing the vanes down more, the GTA4082 peaked at 70psi Boost, 65psi EMP. Then an intercooler hose blew off so we missed out on a full 2nd gear acceleration. This car is very fast. Once Andy gets traction, shifting, fueling and turbo system all hammered out I will be very quick. Note the 28" slicks on the front. :cool:

Last edited:

shadowmaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2.5TDI
Are you guys making 700hp just with a gt4082klnv? I also have one but looks about compareable size as a he351ve..

what oxidizer/air source are you using for the ALS in the merc? or you use H2O2?
Hmm. Why would you think we are using small gt4082klnv in our MB?

This car is supposed to be the fastest diesel MB in the world and still be daily driver with a tow bar. We drive it to the races and just change tires to get it ready for track (well some minor tweaks to fueling/boost) as we don't want yet another trailerqueen. Current diesel MB record is 10,68s/201kmh(126mph) IRC, but with a race chassis unlike ours (our record is 11,4s/208kmh(130mph) with daily driver settings and we blew the engine because of overrev with race settings, but we were 0,6s ahead at halfway). I'm sorry but I really can't give much info (plus this isn't my solo project).:eek:

I think everybody would be surprised what we use as ALS. It's not anything commonly used or even known...

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Hmm. Why would you think we are using small gt4082klnv in our MB?

This car is supposed to be the fastest diesel MB in the world and still be daily driver with a tow bar. We drive it to the races and just change tires to get it ready for track (well some minor tweaks to fueling/boost) as we don't want yet another trailerqueen. Current diesel MB record is 10,68s/201kmh(126mph) IRC, but with a race chassis unlike ours (our record is 11,4s/208kmh(130mph) with daily driver settings and we blew the engine because of overrev with race settings, but we were 0,6s ahead at halfway). I'm sorry but I really can't give much info (plus this isn't my solo project).:eek:

I think everybody would be surprised what we use as ALS. It's not anything commonly used or even known...
I was thinking, as its a daily drivier and your're getting some impressive spool, it shouldn't be so much bigger.. and with normal ALS, creating the exh energy to drive the turbine is one thing, but making the compressor work anywhere near the map at such low airflow numbers must also requires a bypass of some sort.. one could use the air from the compressor and bypass it into the exh mani, like done in wrc, but that is only valid if boost>emp

so... is it a belt driven ALS?

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
andy2 TDIsyncro those vids are sweet!

Fill me in whats ALS?

You guys are doin some cool ****!

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
andy2 TDIsyncro those vids are sweet!

Fill me in whats ALS?

You guys are doin some cool ****!

Thanks. I think it brought some inspiration back to my project too. Andy and his dad love this performance diesel stuff and it was great to sit around and talk shop for half a day. :cool:

ALS..pretty sure Shadowmaker is refering to Anti Lag System. There are a few options out there for getting a big turbo on a small engine to spool better.

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
anti lag on a diesel? I'm familiar with it on gasoline applications but not on diesels.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
yeah you got it anti lag system, kinda funny thought they only did that with the big racing teams like toyota ford subaru, etc etc...

Doesn't it in gassers retard timing with an air by pass and dump fuel and then ignite it with late timing and spark to burn the fuel through the exhaust or something?

commonly called "bang bang spooling" haha

I vaguely remember (I think it was Whitbread) talking about a diesel system that had a huge highpressure airtank that was pressurized when the driver was off throttle. And when requesting highboost at low RPMS or being WOT at low RPMS it dumped the pressurized air back in the exhaust or engine and assisted in spool or turn over. I didn't get to see it in person but it sounded pretty sweet!

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
once saw a presenatation of some bussesin turkey using that.. they where almost talking of lag in minutes instead of seconds, lol

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
sure it is, dont think its so harmful if using it with care and not for half an hour.. offcourse will make little sense with fwd :/

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
My buddy just sent me this video he took of my car from 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYYY0VteK1Q

We had alot of small issues with the engine last year.All 4 piston cooling jets were broken off and we went all year without them.Pistons were still 100%.The Diamond pistons were not notched for the cooling jet so we modded the orignal jets but It did not last.We have now notched the pistons for the oem jet's.All 4 exhaust valve guides were seized onto the valve stems.They were so tight that the guides were moving in the cyl head.Luckily no major damage there just put some new exh valves in and cut the valve seats deaper into the head to allow more piston to valve clearance for a possible future cam.We had oiling issues and the cam lifters and crankshaft were a little marked up.The smaller oil pump sproket/chain is going on this time (BHW I think).We also had cylinder pressure entering the cooling system causing leaks due an issue with the cyl head.The issue has been resolved by installing a sleve in the injector bore.
We will be working on the inj pump governor or eleminating it to get the full fueling to stay on longer to keep the bigger turbo's spooled.

Last edited:

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
how about something simpler like a spool valve?
Spool valve won't work as my exh manifold and turbine housing are not divided.I know That I can get this setup to spool I just have to conrtol the vanes better.

Also we got rid of the bhw oil pump sproket setup as it was making to much oil pressure.After we got clearences figured out the ALH sproket was good enough.We don't have hydraulic lifters to loose oil pressure to so mabye thats why it works for us.

Last edited:

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
Fancy valve there Meister.We have have made more clearance between the guide and valve stem to hopefully avoid the issue.

We still don't have the inj pump back together to test the car out :(.Should have it together to make at least one pass this year.Not too likely we'll be at TDI fest this year.

turdlecharge

TDI
2005 1.9 BRM JETTA
call me crazy.... but why not an automatic? how much boost do you loose during shifts? All the **** you have gone through why not an auto?

Props to you i was super excited when i read this thread! Im a huge cummins fan and when i saw that pump a HUGE smile got put on my face