1997 B4V 1Z Grocery Getter Build

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Wow! Nicely done. You took it to the best group of guys possible for such an insane, custom build. Well done!

Now when you get it back to Cali, I may request a ride :)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Exactly what I'm thinking Phil. Didn't want to go 4 bar, have higher pcps, change the doniol =p, and all that. Give me 230 dynojet whp and I'll be happy. I'm not that far off.

Matt can't get to a computer till later. We are gonna have to wait on the graph. He said the curve was pretty nice, although from 4k and up the turbine is actually restricting, Mark did a great job on the tuning portion.
I'll take the diniol if you really have to get rid of it! :D

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
@Dieselpower04 Not that the 2260VK is at all restrictive, but I thought the 2056VK was a better fit. Around here, I'm not gonna put the power down much, so maybe just a slightly quicker spooling turbo than the 2260 made sense. I wanted to hit the 200 for sure, so that's why I didn't get the 1756vk. Wanted the room for EMP and all that too.

Well, maybe your cylinder head is just that good. I wouldn't think that the GTB2056vk would be the choke point at 230 dynojet-hp... If I can ever get my 17/22 to die, I gotta pick a nice replacement and this turbo is on the list. From your description so far, it seems to spool quicker than the 17/22!
The reason the turbine is a "restriction" is because the intake side is flowing so well with the cam and ported head? Does that make sense to anyone? I'm just trying to relay what Matt was telling me. So maybe not really a restriction, just a very well performing head.

Turbo spools quicker than the 1856 for sure from what Matt says. Sprocket has a 17/22 in his b4 and he needed new undergarments after driving it.

@Matt-AHU Matt, it will be good have you out this way to take care of it if need be =). Maybe I'll have it by the time you do Digital Corpus' TB. Just think, you're just a turbo away with your a3.

NoJoke

Veteran Member
High HP number considering the restrictive 1Z head and VERY conservative dyno that Matt uses. Interested to see where the power comes on, boy that graph would help. Keep that smokeless setup!

On a side note, it was a couple months ago being on the phone with Jeremy weighing the different options. I'm glad you went with Matt; even though it delayed my project:p.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Yeah, everyone should recognize that NoJoke gave up his spot for me since mine is the daily driver/delivery vehicle. He was also the one to recommend going with Fixum or with Matt. Just made way more sense.

Matt will drop down soon, we'll see.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Gotcha! I didn't mean anything in a negative manner, but see where you are coming from. Gotta build it to meet your needs! Happy dieseling!

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Those dyno video's are bad ass...what an angry wagon! hahaha

I feel bad for whoever you embarrass on the street:D. Those engine mounts should break in!

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Awesome build ... what a monster. Needs all-wheel-drive!

good stuff!
I'm letting NoJoke take care of that, call us White Cobra and Black Mamba.

I knew the mods would have some love for the b4. :D

@Dieselpower04 Hopefully I get to Tallahassee again this year. Don't know if the drive will happen though =)

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Sweet!

12mm in the future for this thing??

As Mark says it's MUCH more efficient than the 1852s or 1856s....this is prob a better choice than the 17/22 too. More power, builds boost earlier = happy driver!

Kudos to Matt for the hard work....put some rubber on the pavement now you officially have a sleeper! :D

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
I'm already sad I'm gonna be increasing TB jobs. I think I'll be set with the 11mm. Remember I don't get a 100k belt kit.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
I think I'm gonna do TB's at 50k, but at least I know how to do those myself.

@Danielg42 already bought the a3, the b4's gonna stay with me forever!

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Not bad, so you are only decreasing the stock interval by 10K.

I wonder what I should do it at now? Prob take it apart before I get there again anyway. :D

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
Not bad, so you are only decreasing the stock interval by 10K.

I wonder what I should do it at now? Prob take it apart before I get there again anyway. :D

I discussed this once with Whitbread, and it was rather comical (not trying to jinx anyone here) But my motor ends up completely out of the engine bay every 80 - 90k miles ever since it had 200k on it. So I always just do the timing belt seals and pump out of car. I can literally do a timing belt job in 30 minutes flat LOL :rolleyes:

To bad it's because I had to tear it the whole way down due to some huge mechanical malfunction :eek:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I agree with the 50k miles. I told a friend to do the same on her mk3 golf after we put an 11mm pump on it. Just a couple weeks ago I spent sometime researching JFettig's B5 AHH engine (a 90hp version of the AFN) that actually has an 11mm pump on it. Turns out they used a wider timing belts as well as wider gears and associated covers and what not. Just food for thought for those with the 1Z/AHU/AFN and want to upgrade to an 11mm pump.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I agree with the 50k miles. I told a friend to do the same on her mk3 golf after we put an 11mm pump on it. Just a couple weeks ago I spent sometime researching JFettig's B5 AHH engine (a 90hp version of the AFN) that actually has an 11mm pump on it. Turns out they used a wider timing belts as well as wider gears and associated covers and what not. Just food for thought for those with the 1Z/AHU/AFN and want to upgrade to an 11mm pump.
Interesting... and scary at the same time. I have an AHU belt on my AHH.

I sent you a pm for more info!

Jon