When are you leaving for TDIFest and what route are you taking?

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
I know we have caravanned to previous fests but I have not seen any threads on caravans forming. So I thought it would be interesting to know who is leaving when and what route you are taking so that other tdiclub people will know to look out for you. Maybe we should put signs on our cars or TDIFest 2008 magnets?

I'm planning to leave around 6am Friday morning and take I-90 straight west till the end of NY state and then meander my way southwest. I suppose I'll have to check out what the best route is through Ohio.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
My intent is a Thursday AM departure: I-90 to Albany, I-88 to Corning-Elmira, I-86 to PA route 15 into Portersville, PA (Brown's Country Kitchen, worth the detour) a dash over to Salem OH for B100, then southwest towards Dayton-Mason.
Wave as you pass by. I should be at the 'fest by Saturday noon.:D

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Ill be at fest by Friday @ 10am or so..

Driving west on I-70, S on I-71.. getting off the freeway at exit #25!

see you all there!

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Leaving mid-morning Friday arriving sometime in the afternoon. PA Turnpike from Breezewood to New Stanton, I-70 then I-71.

Lug_Nut

TDI
SnowCub said:
Will you be in the B5.5 or the B4?
What B4? Her's? She won't let me have it back.
Really, folks. I'm not joking around. SHE WILL NOT RELINQUISH MY B4 BACK TO ME! Her Odyssey is for sale and listed on Autotrader.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Me: 94 east, 90 east, 290 south, 294 south, 80-94 east, 65 south, 465 around Indy, 74 east into the Cincinnati area. I have a route planned via Bloomington, IL, for the return trip so I don't have to deal with a full closure of 65 between 80-94 and the Indiana Toll Road (74 west from Indy, 39 north to Rockford; another alternative is 74 west to the Quad Cities, 80 west, 380 north, US 20 west, 35 north).

phishfood

TDI
2002 Jetta Tdi
Another way I take to ohio (i go monthly to visit my kids there) from boston is, pike to 84, 84 all the way till the end in penn, 81 south, 80 across penn. The 80 moves very well and havent had a problem with it of late.

The 90 to 88 to 86 isnt bad either if you have the time but the 86 is a bit dull but might be smooth now thanks to the construction they have been doing on it. However, the 88 around sunset is really remarkable, it follows the river along the valley and has some great views outside of albany. Be sure to watch for the ny state police, esp outside of albany on the 88. Many trips to a gf in cornell tought me that.

Lex4TDI4Life - if you have time and like architecture, stop and see frank lloyd wrights falling water house south of penn tpk around pittsburgh.

Lug_Nut

TDI
88/86 versus 90 Throughway
88/86 free, 90 toll.
88/86 clear weather, 90 lake effect snow.
88/86 federal, always open, 90 Throughway Authority can close, now what alternate route?
88/86 easy access to sovereign Indian nations with no federal tax on fuel. 90 Throughway mark-up of rest stop fuel prices.
88/86 same travel time, less than 20 miles distance difference to Erie as 90.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
Lug_Nut said:
88/86 easy access to sovereign Indian nations with no federal tax on fuel. 90 Throughway mark-up of rest stop fuel prices.
quote]

Why do you care about fuel prices? Aren't you going to make it to the fest on one tank? You should be concerned about fuel prices around Mason, OH.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
SnowCub said:
Lug_Nut said:
quote]

Why do you care about fuel prices? Aren't you going to make it to the fest on one tank? You should be concerned about fuel prices around Mason, OH.
Rumor had it that he would be driving a B5.5 Passat.

Haiku TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Zippy is flying into Columbus, OH Friday, early evening-ish. Not sure if we are heading down to fest that night or early Saturday morning.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
Leaving from West Chester, PA friday after work... whenever that might be... anywhere from 2-6pm

Taking PA turnpike, to 70, to 271, to 71. Maps.google tells me it should take 8.38, but i know i can make it faster... (have a few times)

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Still in denial about having to drive to........O HI O still.......oy what a long trip....... Good thing I wasnt born in Texas!

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
Actually things are changing - i am going by the way of Frederick, MD to drop my girlfriend off at a friends for the weekend... Still leaving after work...

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
We're leaving Thursday afternoon stopping to see sights - perhaps FLW Falling Water House (Post #10), arriving Friday sometime.
Can't wait!
Where's a good place to get Biodiesel on the way?
Kristina & Dean

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Lug_Nut said:
88/86 versus 90 Throughway
88/86 free, 90 toll.
88/86 clear weather, 90 lake effect snow.
88/86 federal, always open, 90 Throughway Authority can close, now what alternate route?
88/86 same travel time, less than 20 miles distance difference to Erie as 90.
Lake effect snow?? Hopefully not for Labor Day!!

I'm not sure what route I'll take yet, possible something through PA so I can avoid the $15 in tolls in NYS.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
Planning to leave around 3-4am on Friday, route dependent on whether i'll need to make an additional stop en route - most likely I-80 for a good chunk..

Current target is to get to Fest by checkin time on Friday afternoon (3-4pm).

Haiku TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
As someone who has recently done the Ohio to New England drive via I-80 and the return trip, New England back to Ohio, via I-90 I must say that the $15 in tolls was totally worth it. I-90 is far better maintained, has better rest stops, and fewer trucks on the whole. I also got better mileage on I-90 than I did on 80....

Lug_Nut

TDI
$15 is three gallons of fuel, or 120 miles, or 2 hours drive time.
Is I-90 from Albany to Erie some combination of 120 miles shorter and 2 hours faster than 88 - 86 from Albany to Erie? No and No.
That's my reason.
The lake effect snow is a winter issue but is an additional reason why I avoid the throughway.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
Looks like we're leaving tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon and taking I-90. We'll probably stop for the night some where around Utica, NY. Then Friday morning continue on to the end of I-90 and take I-71 through Ohio. We hope to make TDIFest by 7pm Friday.

Look for the TDIFest 2008 sign in the back window as you (Peter, Julie, Chris, Lai, Nicole... ) fly by :)

<sigh>

Lug_Nut

TDI
SnowCub said:
Then Friday morning continue on to the end of I-90...
Isn't there someone closer to Seattle / Vancouver that could get Fred to the fest?

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
To all those reading this post please forgive my dear husband. He really wants to show me the sights of the world...so he was planning on just going to the end. Don't worry I'll make sure he gets off in time to get to fest. (Warren's Wifey a.k.a Sheryl)

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
All we really need is the Northeast group to get there safely.

We have to get there safely as we have all the TDIparts items for the Raffle & Auction. THNAK YOU Peter & Cory & George and crew.

Julie and I will be on the road tonight at 10pm or so and driving non stop (kinda)

note last conf call with Fred was a good one and Ohio will be ready for us.

Haiku TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
If anyone is going to need a place to stop over please PM me today -- there is not a ton of space in my new apartment in Columbus, OH but if there is room I am more, than happy to have people over.