Removing Axle from hub, Outer joint disconnected?

Überläufer

TDI
2006 Jetta
While trying to remove the axle from the hub on the passenger's side to replace the bearings on my Jetta, I hammered a brass punch in attempt to aid the axle's removal. Unfortunately, I appear to have mistaken exactly how it came out, and put the punch all the way into the end of the joint, about where the end of the axle bolt would be once fully screwed in.

Now the outer joint seems very loose, and does not appear to connect fully to the the rest of the axle. I can stretch the outer joint boot very wide with the middle part of the axle not connecting to the end of the outer that goes into the hub. Have I ruined the axle? Just the outer joint? Or can I remove the outer joint boot and reconnect it? I was considering replacing the axle anyway due to a grinding sound, and I was going to replace the bearing first to see if that was the culprit, but I'd like to keep the axle for the time being if possible.

Please help :eek:

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
If you didn’t need a new axle it sure sounds like you do now. Remove the axle, the bolt, and disassemble the joint to see what damage you caused.