2014 JSW - To Pano sun roof or not

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, MT6, Platinum Grey; 2000 Jetta GLS, Reflex Silver
I'm contemplating a 2014 purchase. My main question is are there issues with the pano sun roofs. How to they hold up? my last tdi had a normal sun roof, which developed some leaks late in the life of the car. (350Kish )

I have been looking at cars without the sun roof, but there are a couple with them in the right price range, getting to the 60+ days on the lots, and I am thinking maybe the dealer will start to discount a little more before sending to auction.

Any thoughts on pano or non pano cars?
thanks

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, just read some more on the pano roofs, while some not have any issues, I think I will pass on it, and wait for a good "no hole" roof.

sorry to take up space here.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I've been pondering the exact same thing. I am trying to avoid them. The pano roofs seem to have gained in popularity with lots of car makers offering them these days. And you can't get a well optioned wagon without them. But they just make me nervous.

For me, I'd be more tempted to take the roof in a 2015 because the SE and SEL cars have other features that I want. The trim levels for the MK6 were pretty terrible so all you get is 17" wheels and maybe a pitiful Nav system for the trouble of taking the roof.

Of the used cars listings that I see them seem to be split pretty evenly between roof and no roof. The cars with the pano roof don't really seem to command a premium. It was only a $1500 option or something like that. Ultimately, I feel like the roof is a big liability. I'd hate to deal with leaks and water damage because of it and I would really hate to spend $1k or something to deal with fixing it. Plus I figure it is bound to introduce squeaks and rattles.

I will say with two kids that they do love the big glass roof in the Treg. So that is the only thing that makes me consider it.

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
I had originally been pondering a 15, but with 3 electrical water pumps, a belt driven oil pump, and who knows what else, I will pass. the 13-14 is on my list. there are a couple really nice looking 14's in right millage range, and prices should be about close, but I just don't want the issues that might come. So, I just need to be patient. hard to do. :)

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, 3 electric water pumps! Yikes. I've heard that the 15's are scary complex. I'm also thinking that I'll stay with the 2013/2014. I want a manual and it appears that only about 10% of GSW's have a manual so that is one sticking point. But I was tempted because I think the exterior is nicer and will age better. On the other hand, I don't care for the shiny silver dash or the fact that they removed heated seats from the base model in the 2015.

I'm also tempted because the 15's the way better emissions warranty (which covers an awful lot of drivetrain issues with the CEL provision from my understanding). The 2015's get the 11yr/162k mile warranty while the 2013/14's only have the 4 yr/48k mile extended warranty. And I do remember lots of chatter about the HPFP's and the intercooler icing before dieselgate blew that issue away.

Plus its really odd to me that the 2015's seem to be cheaper than the 2013/14's. Though as you say the dealers seem to be lowering prices. That's why I can't decide whether I should stay on the sidelines for a few more months. Local dealers seem to start at like $19.5k, then slowly lower them to about $17.5k and then I'm guessing they are selling them around $16k. I think the KBB prices are screwed up from the buybacks or something because the dealers are asking KBB prices, but I don't believe they are actually selling for those prices.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would avoid the pano roof if you can.

Here are the cons:

bad heat transfer in sunlight, and the shade does not do enough to stop it

bad light transfer, same as above (super hot sunny days these can be downright difficult to drive)

rattles and creaks in the cold, especially over uneven surfaces

random spastic operation... like just opening up for no reason, even if you are not in the car :eek:

flying debris will shatter them, and then you get an interior full of tiny bits of broken glass forever (like, 5 years later, you'll discover it in the seat tracks)

All of the above I have experienced, multiple times.

I have no problem with a regular sunroof, I actually like them and use them (and maintain them properly) in many of my cars. But the pano roof? No way.

blueatlantic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon(gone) 06 Jetta (gone) 09 JSW(gone) 03 Jetta (died) 03 Jetta Wagon 2012 JSW
I would avoid the pano roof if you can.
Here are the cons:
bad heat transfer in sunlight, and the shade does not do enough to stop it
bad light transfer, same as above (super hot sunny days these can be downright difficult to drive)
This. I thought I wanted a pano roof, but after having one in my 09 JSW I changed my mind. For me, I felt I could never get away from the sun. I had to wear my Indiana Jones hat all day long.

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks all, that is all the info I need to avoid the Pano.

andykurz

TDI
shopping
I guess I'm the only one that likes the Pano! It's great, my son loves it from the back seat and I don't think the sun issue is too bad. I had to re-seal the rear drain hose but that took about 90 minutes. I wouldn't let it sway my buying decision one way or the other but I definitely like having it.

It would have been better if they sealed the drain hoses better and made a non-perforated shade but it is pretty nice as is.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Part of it is where you live. I had a choice between two JSWs on the lot when I bought my 10. One with the roof and one without. Being in the South, I knew that I didn't need any extra heat sources in the summer. 8 years later, I'm still happy with that decision.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
leaking is the main issue,virtually all will have to have the drains redone. Connections are poorly designed and still no factory solution. VWOA will pay for the first problem as they did for my 2009 JSW. Stupid easy solution,why isn't it just get done. I do have a new All track with pano and expect to have the problem. LOLs

oilhammer

TDI
Just sent some broad out of here this morning in tears because of the leaky pano roof in her Q7. :(

Not sure how a day's work of work should frighten someone who owns a $70k car, but it did. They have a TSB on those, and a drain tube repair kit. Still labor intensive to fix.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
g-052-147-a2
Thanks! I should lube up the Treg roof. I like regular sunroofs but the big ones scare me. Mostly because VW can't seem to build a functional drain system. The stories of R&R on the JSW shades also scared me. Waaay to much trouble for me.

oilhammer

TDI
With the exception of the New Beetle, the "regular" sunroofs, if taken care of properly, are a non-issue. The NB is troublesome because they tend to have drain tubes that are too short from the factory AND the forward drain holes are difficult to get at (and impossible to see without a mirror). The Golf/Jetta/Passat/etc. are easy, just open the door and they are right there. Rub them back and forth while pouring some liquid to make sure they are clear... I like messaging mine whenever it rains. :D