MkIV Golf hatch won't close

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
There's a few threads on this, but they all describe taking off the latch, which I cannot do. Does anyone know the size of the 12 point triplesquare bit that I need?

Also, for future reference, any way to gracefully remove/reinstall the black plastic interior trim covering the inside of the hatch, without forcefully yanking it off in an explosion of little plastic and metal single-use clips?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
There is a screw, phillips head I believe, in the hand-hold pocket toward the bottom of each side of the cover. Remove the screws, and the cover should pop straight away from the hatch without undue force or breakage of little bits.

For the XZN bits, just get a nice set. That way you'll have the correct one when the next job comes up.

Cheers,

PH

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Yup, two screws and gently pulling. Sometimes with the plastic trim pry tools helps. I have more trouble with the A and C pillar trim removal. But the rear is kind of rough. Just I have had less broken plastic there then the pillars.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Thanks, I got the 2 screws, but no amount of gently pulling worked. The steel clips were rock hard, and the places where the black plastic tucks into the white/grey stuff around the window were practically glued. 20 degree temps probably didn't help.

At least there was nothing I missed. And hey, now the car is lighter, I should test it at the strip.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I watched a video where a guy pulled the hatch cover from inside the luggage compartment with the hatch closed. Seems to have had more control that way. I never tried it yet.