Stealthy Evry Mod

luke.weiser

TDI
1998 Jetta MK3
Ok. There is no denying it. The Evry mod (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=257122) is great. It's cheap and safe as long as it's used casually and properly tuned.
However, the only issue me and others who try to keep a clean, stock interior is the eyesore switch and potentiometer that must be mounted within reach of the driver, for ease of operation and tuning that is.
Luckily, I have a solution. Mk3 and Mk4 chassis VWs in Europ came equipped with factory fog lights. For this example, I will talk about the Mk3 because that's what I have. The Mk4 uses the same switch, just different shape, and wiring. The lights for both chassis were operated by a three position switch(off, one connection, both connection) integrated into the headlight switch. However, North American cars didn't have fog lights, thus didn't have this special switch. You can buy one and install it into any NA Mk3, it is a direct fit, however, since Mk3s don't have fog lights, the foglight positions serves no purpose.
For this mod, we will use the three positions on the Euro Switch to make a stealthy way to activate the Evry Mod, as well as making two different tune options: slight power and full power.
First things first, you need TWO potentiometers. you'll be creating a high resistance circuit, to be active in the first position, then a low resistance circuit for the signal from to flow when both circuits are open. Should look like this on paper:

With this arrangement, when the switch is pulled to the first position, the signal can only flow through the high resistance path. This provides a mild increase in power and much better throttle response, with mild smoke.

However, when both circuits are open, power chooses to flow through the path of lowest resistance. This one can be tuned as low as you want, and since lower resistance means more fuel, more smoke and power can be achieved with the lowering of resistance.

This is what should happen in the final product:

Now, onto the wiring.
I WILL EDIT LATER WITH EXACT DIRECTIONS ON WHICH PINS I USED IN THIS INSTALL. FOR NOW, I WILL GIVE YOU A BRIEF OVERVIEW OF WHAT I DID.
We will have to dissect the pigtail that connects to the headlight switch. On NA cars, most of the wires we need are there and unused, but there is an empty pin that we need to use. You will have to find a suitable pin to add to the pigtail. You have to go to a junkyard and cut out a pigtail from a VW in order to remove this piece

Install it into your pigtail. You now have all the necessary pins to make your Euro switch work.
Tuning is easy. If you mount the pots in a box together, you can mount it under your dash within reach. That way, you can just reach under and adjust each tune whenever you want.
My Ahu likes the high circuit to be around 800 ohms, and the low circuit gets down to about 580 ohms before the engine stalls. AHU and ALH engines are different, so tuning it properly is up to you.

I have been running this in my car for months, it's really cool. I love how I don't have to have a huge eyesore on my dash, its stealthy and nutty I can run with the Mod off, pull the Euro switch out once for romping around, and all the way for big power and rolling coal.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Interesting - good write up.

The only issue is that you are adding fuel, but there is no corresponding increase in air (boost).

I ran an evry mod for 6 months on my B4V. When I got it tuned, the difference (better) made me kick myself why I hadn't done it sooner. Much smoother power delivery.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
This is great info!

I like the repurposing of the light switch. In my case, I have a MK4 Euro switch and run my parking lights without DRL's. I also have fog lights that came from the factory for the Beetle so my switch is used except for the rear fog light position!

My Digi10 tuning box has a small slot adjuster that can be turned up or down on the fly much like your switch to adjust resistance. I would just have to mount the tuning box inside the cabin and within reach.

I don't know how hard it would be to make a boost controller to go along with this mod? That would add a level of safety to the mod. I say this because that was a concern when I installed the Digi10, they cautioned about overboosting.

I really enjoyed the tuning box but the smoke was as little to much so now I have a tune and the Digi10 is in a box!

This is lots of fun for little upfront money!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
why bother, cheep ghetto mods damages the engine. infact you are doing more harm than good and not saving any money, enjoy paying up for a new turbo and head gasket issues when your EGT,s skyrocket and the engine and turbo have had enough high temps and boost spikes that are uncontrollable and unmonitored.

If you read up on the evry mod, yea its cool, back in 2001 when it was figured out, but honestly its crap, and the $300 for a tune stage 1.5 does 10x better and does not harm the engine. I would undo this ASAP. not trying to be a jerk or scare you but seriously no how much you do, you cant beat the savings on a tune vs engine and turbo damage along with poor fuel econ for just a bunch of smoke and vroom vroom.

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
I ran the EVRY mod for over 35k miles on a car with over 200K miles on it and made a 21 bhp increase on my AHF A3.

I think the key to the mod is to be sensible, I noticed that my car was very clean on boost and suspected I had overhead for extra fueling to make use of the boost that was there.

The 21 bhp increase was dyno'd at around my medium setting of 700 ohms - I could take it to 650 as I kept the mod on a quick connector for a few reasons.

I kept my car to 5k oil change intervals and had no issues as a result of the mod, I can't refute that it's not the best way to go for power and a remap would be better, but I also don't agree it's going to grenade an engine unless abused.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
why bother, cheep ghetto mods damages the engine. infact you are doing more harm than good and not saving any money, enjoy paying up for a new turbo and head gasket issues when your EGT,s skyrocket and the engine and turbo have had enough high temps and boost spikes that are uncontrollable and unmonitored.

If you read up on the evry mod, yea its cool, back in 2001 when it was figured out, but honestly its crap, and the $300 for a tune stage 1.5 does 10x better and does not harm the engine. I would undo this ASAP. not trying to be a jerk or scare you but seriously no how much you do, you cant beat the savings on a tune vs engine and turbo damage along with poor fuel econ for just a bunch of smoke and vroom vroom.
Are you as abrasive in person?

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
Probably...

the nicer way to say it would be : The EVRY mod is a cool thing to tinker with, and you can also do stuff with diodes on the MAP or boost bleeds to add a bit more air, but as soon as you drive a tuned car you will understand why its not the go-to thing to tweak with anymore.

Also, you will hit the "warp field collapse" before you break anything if the engine is in good working order.

I had an EVRY on a switch in my first TDI, i used it for about 6 months til i found a used set of malone stg 1 chips for $120. Honestly i left it off most the time, unless i was on some wide open back roads or i was being tailgated... because it was a bit smokey for the minor gains in power

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta 5sp TDI, 2010 bmw x5d, 81 1z MTDi Caddy, 97 jetta tdi
I ran evry mod on my 2002 jetta and loved it. I also ran bosch t4 150hp nozzles as well. I had my mechanic turn the IQ way down via hammermod to where the car had just a touch more power than stock for best mpgs. Then when I needed a boost, I just flipped a switch. I was like a truck pulling the car when you hit it. I now have rc stg3 and and the power is nearly the same but much more refined especially in higher revs. Smoke was also slightly more noticable w/ the evry mod as well. I didnt use it for long periods (<5mins) to keep egts down esp on hills. Well worth the money for no more than what I had to pay for it. I grabbed one of these guys to save headaches w/ wiring: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Performanc...m=252450272322&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta 5sp TDI, 2010 bmw x5d, 81 1z MTDi Caddy, 97 jetta tdi
BTW luke.weiser, I think your idea is great. It does take some interior modifications to make the switch conveniently in reach!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Ol'Mongler? I would guess so. Isn't it obvious? Read what he says and not so much how he says it, me thinks............

No, im just a regular dude, some times if ive been drinking or in this case, sick with a head cold and the DOGS WONT STOP BARKING, i can be a bit of a jerk, but im a nice guy over all

I like lukes write up, but its very dated and i dont see what the point is in doing something like this is

Allan12335

TDI
VW passat b5.5 130hk(AVF)
Evry mod or whatever else will make my passat AVT

I know that the evry mod does not work on my engine but is there somthing like it i can do to my car.

Thanks in advance:)

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Depends on the engine in your car. If the engine is a PD (Pumpe Deus) with unit injectors, the only thing to do would be to get a "tune" - software that improves/increases the boost and fuel so as to give more power. Nothing simple like an EVRY resistor mod on PD engines.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles

HI,

Just curious BUT If the every Mod is a cheap way to over fuel the engine .... is there a cheap fix (maybe a cable actuator or ??) to force MORE turbo boost when you flip the evry mod on ?

We'll call it the Andy Mod ! ;-)

Andrew

PS - I know we can "cheat" by using a proper tune BUT I am talking low $$ HP ....

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
HI,

Just curious BUT If the every Mod is a cheap way to over fuel the engine .... is there a cheap fix (maybe a cable actuator or ??) to force MORE turbo boost when you flip the evry mod on ?

We'll call it the Andy Mod ! ;-)

Andrew

PS - I know we can "cheat" by using a proper tune BUT I am talking low $$ HP ....
no, its impossible. the issue with the evry mod in detail is that there is NO added boost to burn the added fuel so all you are doing is adding more smoke with very little fuel added being burnt. Problems this causes are turbo spikes and surges that are VERY bad for the turbo and extremely high EGT's and thats also bad for the turbo. there was a thread ages ago where someone used an evry mod with bigger nozzles (520's i think) and it melted the turbo. it could have also been the haggered self nozzle swap that was done, we will never know.

point is, the only way to control fuel and boost is with a fuel and boost map alteration done by a tuner or by a DIY flashing kit.

if your low on $, spend it on maintenance and save it up. mods just spend more money to make a car not meant to do something, do that something. want to go fast, buy a cheap car that is designed to do it. it will cost less i promise.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
If it is a mechanically actuated you can probably bypass a switch that holds vacuum to the actuator and keeps up holding longer but holy geez why not just do it all right the first time and not melt anything down?!?!

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
People used to use a "g-valve" adustable boost relief valve to adjust the wastegate opening on boost actuated non-tunable (e.g. old) turbo cars.
I would expect a g-valve installed in the reverse direction (to allow ambient air in when opened) would work just the same to limit the maximum vacuum the turbo actuator sees, and therefore raise max boost. It would also suck dirt and dust into your vacuum pump. I wouldn't recommend this at all, but think it would work.

Also, given that so many people have problem with overboost due to small leaks on these cars, adding some pinholes to the vacuum line would have a similar effect... but would cause huge boost spikes as it would also slow the closing of the actuator. The g-valve would reduce the boost spikes by keeping the vacuum in until the setting is reached.

Last edited: