Should I get a VW TDI Or A Cruze Diesel?

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
So would like to ask a few questions here please ... I own my 2016 VW Golf TSI with all the options one could want on a car including park assit and let me tell you , it will park you in places one would not normally try to park in !
I'm debating between a 2018 Cruze Diesel in a Manual or a 2014 Golf TDI 4 door or a 2014 Jetta Wangon ....both are DSG and have under 40,000 miles on them ... Love how the Stealerships are asking over book on the golden TDI's again :confused::mad: ...I miss having a diesel and the 2015 are out of my price range as i'm getting low balled on my car (go fiugre with 16k on it and excellent condition) yet you all know the drill.... Can I have some honest feed back here ...
Thanks
Manny

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've owned a '12 Golf TDI and driven a '17 Cruze diesel manual. And we have a colleague at IDParts with a '14 Cruze diesel. If you can get a new Cruze for similar money to a 40K TDI, I think I'd be tempted to go with the Cruze. However, the Cruze probably won't hold its value as well as the TDI so you may get hurt more if you trade it after a few years. if you plan to keep it for a long time the Cruze may be a better value.

One other consideration is that the emissions system on the '14 TDI is simpler, and has a better warranty, even on a used car. So keep that in mind.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I am Volkswagen's biggest fan, but I'd maybe see what kind of deal you can get on a new Cruze first. Someone here got one out the door for under $18k. :eek:

Their value will tank (it is a Chevy, after all), so if that is of concern to you just know that. I'd want to get it paid for ASAP if you cannot pay cash outright, as that will lessen the sting of paying for something that depreciates AND paying interest for the privilege of doing so.

And obviously the track record on them is nonexistent as they are totally different than the previous version, engine and all.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
I think it also just comes down to styling over all. I prefer the look of VW and Audi over many other brands so thats another side you will have to consider.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
VW all the way. I avoid Chevy at all costs. they are "immature" in 4 banger diesel. They are good at V8 diesel in trucks but Cruze....... too new. Give it few years and see how they perform out there. VW already have a long track record of 4 banger diesels.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You do realize the folks that provide the diesel engine in the Cruze have been building cars long before Volkswagen, right? And they have been making diesels for a while now too.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Chevrolet/Opel/Fiat have been making diesels as long if not longer than VW. Just because they haven't been here doesn't mean they're inexperienced.

I'm a VW guy all the way, too, as if the 4 TDIs in my sig didn't already tell you that. But the Cruze may be worth a shot.

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
Well.....
I test drove a Manual Cruze Diesel and I will say this ... a 2014 jetta or golf is way more car and a heck of a lot nicer !!! The car felt CHEAP! compare to my 2016 Golf TSI ..only thing nice about that car was the motor and even then , I didn't want to buy it !
Feels like a cheap rental and even then I wouldn't want it ...Guess I will focus 2010-2015 and see what I can find .

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Cruze will not handle well and has some serious thin sheet metal...

My company needed me to work in another city. So I rented a gas Cruze for a month on companies dime... I drove locally and short road trips back and forth to home twice in that month, putting on about 1600 miles. I have a good idea what the Cruze is about. I did not hate it, but it does not feel as high end as the VW in materials, fit, finish or amenities. Two things I remember:

First handling - Taking a sweeping freeway to freeway on ramp at speed the Cruze got weird. A small dip in the sweeping on-ramp turn made the Cruze get into weird osculations and wobble. It was a tiny bit terrifying. It does not handle like my JSW. Needless to say I from then on drove it like a Grandmother going to Sunday Church. It drove fine, but you could not push it at all.

Soda Pop Can Sheet Metal - I gently put a 1 x 1.5 foot cardboard box, gently on the top of the closed trunk lid. Box had a few small items in it, not heavy, about 20 lbs. One of the corners of the cardboard box made a dent in the trunk lid. The trunk had a slight concave curve I recall. The box was not perfectly flat on the surface, so a corner may have been pressing into the trunk skin. But good gosh it should not dent. Since it was a rental I was worried I'd be charged. Before I returned it, I took the trunk liner out. Then using a wood rounded handle to "work the dent out". I did a good job, working 90% of the dent out, not as obvious to be sure but not invisible. Car rental company didn't say anything. (Seriously thin metal.)

My opinion, if you gave me one dirt cheap I'd consider it. They are not bad looking. I think a German design house did the styling. Overall a fine car. However there is no comparison between the two cars OP mentioned. However $$$$$ counts. If you are on a budget a Cruze cheap would be a good commuter car. It just would not be as fun.

Last edited:

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Just looking at pics, if you need cargo room the JSW has lots more than the Cruze hatch.

Lets hope some other manufacturers start bring small diesel cars to the market!!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
wow congrats! what a nice find with lowest miles. they are hard to find nowadays.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I guess you could look on the bright side. Once GM moves all of their production to China, The Cruze's quality might improve...............................................or not.