Oil cooler O-ring replacement 1996 1Z Passat

JohnJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat 2005.5 jetta
Specifically, how does one replace the O-ring? I understand that it is possible to replace the O-ring without removing the oil cooler, yes? If so then does one need to force the cooler down off of the threaded nipple(after removing the large nut), somehow getting it past the connecting hoses and clamps to be able to get the o-ring past the threaded nipple? HELP!:confused:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Maybe I've been lucky but I've always been able to extract the nipple once the filter is off. Remove the big nut, push cooler down and clamp vice grip to nipple gently with a rag or some type of buffer between the vice grip and the nipple.

Don't clamp below the cooler or you might damage the threads. I clamp between the cooler and the filter stand.

I've never had any problem or actually caused much if any damage to the threads. I don't believe they're on there all that tight to begin with.

With that out of the way you can get to the o-ring.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
^^^ exactly how I do it. Once the cooler is pushed down, there's a large area that's unthreaded, so there's really nothing to damage.

-Todd

JohnJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat 2005.5 jetta
o ring removal

Maybe I've been lucky but I've always been able to extract the nipple once the filter is off. Remove the big nut, push cooler down and clamp vice grip to nipple gently with a rag or some type of buffer between the vice grip and the nipple.

Don't clamp below the cooler or you might damage the threads. I clamp between the cooler and the filter stand.

I've never had any problem or actually caused much if any damage to the threads. I don't believe they're on there all that tight to begin with.

With that out of the way you can get to the o-ring.
Is this pretty much the "standard way" to replace o ring; not having this info/detail I ended up forcing the cooler down off of the nipple as I knew it was possible to replace the o ring w/o removing the cooler, which in hind sight does not seem real smart(my method). Any body else care to comment??

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Is this pretty much the "standard way" to replace o ring; not having this info/detail I ended up forcing the cooler down off of the nipple as I knew it was possible to replace the o ring w/o removing the cooler, which in hind sight does not seem real smart(my method). Any body else care to comment??
Don't know if this is the standard way or not, but it's the way I found to do it without having to drain the coolant and wrestle with the spring clamps to free the cooler itself.

I've been in there a couple times, the filter stand gasket leaked and I replaced it but the second one leaked as well. The first time around I drained coolant and the second time I decided I wasn't doing that anymore.

I couldn't push the cooler down far enough to clear the nipple and I was worried about damaging the hoses. Second time around it dawned on me to go after the center section of the nipple with a vice grip. With the cooler pushed down it's easy to get to and with the nipple out it's easy to get the o-ring situated.

It's also the way I get the filter stand off too since the cooler blocks access to one or both of the bottom bolts (can't remember).

I'm sure the VW specified procedure probably requires draining the cooling system.

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
No need to drain the coolant. These are very simple to replace and take very little time, I do them all the time.

Remove the oil filter.
Loosen the 24mm nut with a socket.
Use an internal pipe wrench (cheap, about $10/set of 3) to remove the nipple.
Bend the oil cooler down, remove gasket and clean area.
Install new gasket.
Thread nipple by hand, then use internal pipe wrench to tighten.
Tighten 24mm nut
Install new oil filter.
Wash area around oil cooler.
Enjoy!

glenn1179

Veteran Member
TDI
na
I've done two oil cooler o-rings on B4 Passats without removing the coolant hoses or pipe nipple. The coolant hoses survived. I'm not sure I would recommend this method as it is a real struggle to do. I just did it this way because I didn't know any better.