Stupid Tow Truck: BEWARE of certain tow trucks

garnet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Jetta
I found out why I am leaking oil. The tow truck that towed my car slightly crushed the oil pan creating a small leak.
It was the kind of tow truck that uses a horizontal beem and lifts the car by the 2 front tires.

BEWARE: do not allow a tow truck of this type to tow your car it will damage the oil pan!

Anyone know of any good online store to get an oil pan at!

I had them all bookmarked but my harddrive failed and I don't have any idea of the names of the online stores except
tdipart.com and they don't carry oil pans.

garnet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Jetta
I have the hex wrench, whats a Ball end?
Is that the swivel part of the socket?
If so I have that too.

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
Always always insist on a flatbed truck for towing any vehicle you care about!

Even then, they will often crank the winch down so tight that they crunch, rip, or deform the hook points on the unibody

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
If so I have that too.
Hopefuly somene who's tried this will chime in.
The swivel on a socket drive hex might work. I heard it was two bolts on one end of the pan. Just check to make sure you can get on all the bolts before you get to deep into it.

A ball end hex wrench has the hex rounded off on the end then undercut down the hex bar leaving a ball with hex sides. This allows you to swivel the wrench after its in the screw head. Allowing you to engage the wrench at an angle.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
If so I have that too.
The easiest way to get the oil pan off is to use a hex socket on a long wobble extension.

garnet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Jetta
BTW, does anyone know about the sealant? How important is it to get this exactly right? I read that too much can cause the oil pump to get clogged because extra sealant may come off into the pan?

rowl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, Black
I had to modify a 5mm hex wrench to get the right angle to feel comfortable with loosening the two bolts by the transmission. They are 10mm socket or 5mm hex as stated above. If you can get a 10mm socket with a woble extension on it you are probably better off. I would try a 1/4" drive so you can get as close to the transmission as possible and get straight on them. The ball end hex wrench did not feel very solid to me and were slipping in the head. I was afraid it was going to strip and I didn't want to risk the possibility of pulling the motor to get them out if they did strip.

rowl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, Black
63Ragtop,
Have you used "The Right Stuff" on a TDI oil pan? If it works good I am going to use it when I put mine back together. It will be much easier to get than the "VW Stuff".

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf 6MT, 01 NB 5MT shell
Always always insist on a flatbed truck for towing any vehicle you care about!

Even then, they will often crank the winch down so tight that they crunch, rip, or deform the hook points on the unibody
VW sent a flatbed truck to my house after they rolled the O ring on my Jetta during an oil change and it sprung a huge leak in my garage. Unfortunately, the cowboy driving the truck pulled the car up without checking for interference on the front valence and crushed it partially trying to drag it up the incline with the hook. He only stopped when the grill inserts blew out and about hit him. He then asked if I had any scrap lumber to lessen the angle of approach. I did, and he got it up on the truck. He didn't take the lumber with him however, so I assume he tore it off when taking the car off. I told the dealership it needed to be replaced before I got the car back and it was.

Something to watch out for, even with a rollback. I won't go into the fact that the guy didn't swing out to approach the driveway from the near lane and about rolled the truck by putting the pass side rear wheels in the ditch. Also ran over my address sign on a post by the driveway....

63Ragtop

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 NB GLS, Auto, Red, Black Leather
I haven't had the pleasure of doing a TDI oilpan. Have done a few Mopar auto transmission pans and they have stayed bone dry. It's much easier to apply being in aerosol form. Wouldn't hesitate to use it on a TDI. About $13 for a can.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Unfortunately, the cowboy driving the truck pulled the car up without checking for interference on the front valence and crushed it partially trying to drag it up the incline with the hook. He only stopped when the grill inserts blew out and about hit him.
Thanks for making literally Laugh Out Loud.