Castrol SLX 505.01 vs. Long Life 507.00 for PD

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
Oil change time getting closer, currently running Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W30. Have seen on here where VW has authorized use of 507 oil in the PD's.

As always, I have reviewed the UOA thread and still can't decide on whether or not to go with 507 Long Life III.

What would you do? I run the oil for the full 10,000 mile OCI. Mostly city driving.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am using it. Relativily cheap and can be bought from my dealer. Supposed to be good stuff. No UOA on my car yet. DG bypass installed as well.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yes. VW Longlife III 507 from one of the dealers here. Slightly more than 505.01. A better oil they say and backwards compatible to the 505.01 spec and numerous instances of letters being sent out to others approving its use. It has also been said that this will be the consolidation oil and required/used by all anyway. I am hoping to change my services to change everything every 20k miles. I am using a DG bypass and will try to extend the oil change interval to 20k miles.

Last edited:

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
Awesome info. Thanks! I'm going with 507 for the upcoming oil change.

The car did log 50.2 mpg recently on a 180 mile interstate trip to Nashville TN early April on the 5W30 SLX 505.01. Not bad for the not-so-aerodynamic Beetle body. Hoping for same or better from the 507. Best highway mpg on the old Castrol TXT 5W40 was 47. So the new formula(s) may make a difference.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
in my PD i personally would use any of the 507s from Motul, Total/ELF, Mobil, Pentosin or LubroMoly. i do think 507 oils are superior to 50501 oils. my only caveat is that i don't use Castrol oils - personal opinion / preference.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
So you are saying the VW Longlife III 507 is a Castrol product? What is your personal opinion that makes you not want to use their/this product?

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lightflyer1 said:
So you are saying the VW Longlife III 507 is a Castrol product? What is your personal opinion that makes you not want to use their/this product?
i personally feel - like Castrol builds lubricants to meet minimum specifications whereas some other companies build lubes to exceed min specs. Please apply grains of salt to this post. Cheers!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Thanks and I will follow your advice. I will be testing the next change out of this oil for my own information to see how it performs in my car with the DG bypass filter in place.

One question if you will. Is there any problem with sampling the oil from the bypass filter outlet? Others feel it should be sampled from the sump. Any opinions on this?

Last edited:

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lightflyer1 said:
Thanks and I will follow your advice...
just to be clear, i'm only sharing my personal preference / opinion - not giving advice.

if my PD gets to 200 or 300k, and if it still runs like new and dyno runs confirm at 300k it's producing 100+hp and 177+torque, then everything i've ever said along the lines of "if it were my TDI" still just amounts to a hill-o-beans IMO ;).

imho - the best testimonials come from the super-wrenches that contribute based on first hand maintenance and repair experience of many many TDIs.

cheers!

PS - i have no bypass experience or advice.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Bad choice of words on my part, I'm sorry. I will let the UOA decide if the current oil is satisfactory or not. Thanks for sharing your "opinion" with me!

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
sorry to resurect and old thread, but would this all apply to my ALH also? I run the SLX 505.01 in my car.... should I swap over to 507.00?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
i have a dealer contact that gets me the Castrol stuff really cheap (dunno if cost or not, but way cheaper than everywhere else)

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
using the latest 507 oil in any pre-CR TDIs is a waste of $$.
M-1 TDT will protect better than 505 and 505.01 .

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE
I have the new CR 2.0 so im sticking with the Castrol SLX Professional LL03 or the VW LL03. The only concerns I have is the VW dealership they really only need to carry one type of oil (Castrol SLX Professional LL03). VW 504 00 supersedes all gas specs VW 502 / 503 and the 507 supersedes 505 01/ 506 01 with the only exception the Touareg V10 TDI 2004/2006/2007 which would need the Castrol SLX Professional OE VW 505 01.

I think would probably provide in general very good results for the 10K OCI (which should be a goal for all VW users :) for both gas and diesel and all but elimate all the confusion of VW oils specs in which engine.

Castrol SLX Professional Long Life III
SAE 5W-30; ACEA A3/B3/B4 shares: VW 504 00 / 507 00 Furthermore, all vehicles used in the VW group, which also require the following specifications: VW 500 00/502 00/505 00/503 01/503 00 / 506 00 and VW 505 01 * / 506 01 *

* excluding R5 and V10 TDI pump jet engines, and VW pump jet engines without Long Life Service.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
yatzee said:
I saw that comparison - it looks like 507.00 is superior for my car.

Does anyone know if it's CJ4?
Dude, you are comparing API standard with VAG standards.

TDT is CJ-4, TDT is what you were knocking.

The only thing CJ-4 and 507 have in common is they are both "DPF friendly".

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
yatzee said:
I saw that comparison - it looks like 507.00 is superior for my car.

Does anyone know if it's CJ4?
no, none of the VAG oils meet CJ4. They are made to meet a different set of standards, so they will not make any claims to meet API specs, except the one they can automatically claim, which is CF. This should not be interpreted to mean that the VAG oils are 4 generations behind the API diesel oil spec- its just that the two sets of requirements are different, and the VAG oils are designed for passenger car diesel.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
damnyankee said:
After reading numerous articles & postings here, I will be switching to this oil:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx
you really should be using a 0w- or 5w- oil for the tdi. There is a chart that shows the relative time it takes for the oil to be distributed on a cold start and the difference is huge between the thinner oils and 15w-40.

Your profile shows that you have a PD- if you want to stay in warranty you should use VW505.01 or 507.

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE
im actually looking at the co-engineered by Castrol and VW SLX Porfessional LL03 with VW on the german castrol web page and it states that this Castrol SLX Professional Long Life III can be used in engines using the following vw oil specs:

SAE 5W-30; ACEA A3/B3/B4 shares: VW 504 00 / 507 00 Furthermore, all vehicles used in the VW group, which also require the following specifications: VW 500 00/502 00/505 00/503 01/503 00 / 506 00 and VW 505 01 * / 506 01 *

* excluding R5 and V10 TDI pump jet engines, and VW pump jet engines without Long Life Serv

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
damnyankee said:
After reading numerous articles & postings here, I will be switching to this oil:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx
there is one VW that has posted top notch results with AME here and another over at bitog. I would think that DEO might be a better choice with a turbo charger and a converter as the ash is much lower in DEO and its GRP IV/V vs GRP III

damnyankee

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
tditom said:
you really should be using a 0w- or 5w- oil for the tdi. There is a chart that shows the relative time it takes for the oil to be distributed on a cold start and the difference is huge between the thinner oils and 15w-40.

Your profile shows that you have a PD- if you want to stay in warranty you should use VW505.01 or 507.
I'm using Castrol SLX LL03/507 now, and after reading of low zinc/phos levels of this oil and 505.01, and reading of PD cam failures, I'm switching to the 15w/40. The valve arrangement of the PD is really no different than a flat tappet cam in Gen.1 Chevy V8. Think about that for a moment......and thicker oil won't drain away as quickly as a 0W or 5W!

Last edited:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
damnyankee said:
I'm using 507 now, and after reading of low zinc/phos levels of this oil and 505.01, and reading of PD cam failures, I'm switching to the 15w/40. The valve arrangement of the PD is really no different than a flat tappet cam in Gen.1 Chevy V8. Think about that for a moment......and thicker oil won't drain away as quickly as a 0W or 5W!
Flat tappet cams also needed high zinc/phos levels.

This is why I've been recommending TDT CJ-4 (nice high levels of zinc/phos) and a small zddp cocktail with each OCI.