www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 15th, 2018, 20:52   #1
Giberish33

Default Cabrio driver door weather seal same as jetta?

Found 2 mk3 cabrios at a local junk yard, does anyone know if the door rubber weather seals are the same for cabrios and jettas?
Giberish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2018, 22:23   #2
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giberish33 View Post
Found 2 mk3 cabrios at a local junk yard, does anyone know if the door rubber weather seals are the same for cabrios and jettas?
Completely different, the Cabrio is hard top (no door frame around top of glass. Also, the Cabrio door is larger (more like 2dr Golf / GTI door).

A lot of the Cabrio weatherstrip is in the folding top so it's not going to be anything like the Jetta.

Sorry about that.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 08:54   #3
Giberish33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
Completely different, the Cabrio is hard top (no door frame around top of glass. Also, the Cabrio door is larger (more like 2dr Golf / GTI door).
A lot of the Cabrio weatherstrip is in the folding top so it's not going to be anything like the Jetta.
Sorry about that.
Steve
OK thanks Steve. What about mk4 jettas any weather seals applicable to mk3's. just trying to figure out if there is anything useful to grab while im there. I own a mk3 but there are tons of mk4s in the junk yard.
Giberish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 22:11   #4
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
OK thanks Steve. What about mk4 jettas any weather seals applicable to mk3's. just trying to figure out if there is anything useful to grab while im there. I own a mk3 but there are tons of mk4s in the junk yard.
Never looked at door seals between the two but I doubt it's the same. The Mk4 is completely different beast. You could take a look though, but there's not much from a Mk4 that will work on Mk3 cars.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2018, 23:52   #5
garciapiano

Quote:
Clean, untorn door seals for mk3s are quickly becoming unobtanium. I suggest grabbing every decent one you find. The rear seals are a little shorter than the front door seals so front door seals are more useful (you can cut em down with a dremel if need be.)

That being said nothing door-related from the Cabrio will fit, given that it is a convertible and the Jetta /golf is not.

Pretty much nothing from the mk4 will fit a mk3.
garciapiano is offline   Reply With Quote