www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

View Poll Results: What fuel will your next car run on?
Diesel. Unless and until itís outlawed by the govít... 17 58.62%
Gasoline. F diesel! 7 24.14%
Battery EV. VW MEB (buzz, crozz), Tesla, Chevy Bolt, Hyundai KONA, Kia e-Niro. 5 17.24%
PHEV. Toyota Prius, Chevy Volt. Battery + gas engine. 2 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 1st, 2018, 07:23   #46
0die
Veteran Member

the 2.1 was a Renault motor...POS from what I've read...

Cummins B4T and 617 Mercs are what most swap in from what I've seen...I would personaly lean towards the Merc. I've had 2 123 series Mercedes with the 617 motor...it's one of the most indestructible engine ever built, very simple, no electronics and parts super easy to find and cheap...
0die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 12:14   #47
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42 with a lead foot.

i retired the B4 and now drive an A4 jetta... while the engine is great, the mounting annoys me (ALOT) when i have to do a timing belt, which is roughly every other year for me.

the car is much more refined, for an economy car, but is also much less spacious... i hated it when i first switched but its been a good daily so far and i will likely replace it with another from someplace further south when the time comes.

If i had the $$$, id rather do an AWD VW/AUDI swap instead, but another FWD A4/B5 would suite me fine.

My wife has an older prius (2007) right now and plans to replace it with a 2015+ in about a year. Her prius is a great "appliance" car to get from A to B but its boring to drive... and my clapped out TDIs have all beaten her average MPG...

She had a TDI, it wasnt a good one (previous owner damage, most of it hidden by dealer) and we were both glad to see it get hauled away by Fix_Until_Broke for parts...
ketchupshirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 17:50   #48
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 mpg with leaking injection pump

In my humble opinion, TDI lovers should also appreciate the heck out of EVs!

Maybe eventually, all of us will own at least one TDI (except those who have said bye to their TDI for good reasons), and one EV!

Both TDI and EV are extremely powerful yet frugal cars and intended to achieve the highest level of economic value for us the owners, they’re very well aligned. Not identical, each has one or two advantages over the other, while scoring very highly overall.

It’d be really great and fun time, for all adventurous TDIclub members to go by yourself and schedule a test drive of an EV of your choosing, literally any brand any model, and come back here, share pictures, video, and your unique personal opinion of your driving experience. I got a feeling it’s going to be a good time!

Last edited by Chris_TDI_98; November 8th, 2018 at 11:53.
Chris_TDI_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 17:18   #49
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 mpg with leaking injection pump

So.. Here you go! Data from reliable sources that shows, almost Never are EVs worse for the environment than gasoline ICE cars when it comes to Carbon Footprint:
https://youtu.be/6RhtiPefVzM
Chris_TDI_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 18:46   #50
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Carvana dropped off my new (to me) 2015 Spark EV today.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 20:09   #51
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_TDI_98 View Post
In my humble opinion, TDI lovers should also appreciate the heck out of EVs!
I bought a Jetta TDI because it was one of the most efficient cars on the road at the time. I bought a Tesla... for very much the same reason

The road trip issue is so over blown. I can easily cover >1000 miles in less than a day. Now that Superchargers are so abundant the road trips in my Tesla are actually quicker than they were in the Jetta since when my fuel was diesel I was compelled to maintain an efficient ~60 mph... now-a-days I can easily sustain >80mpge doing ~75mph
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 14:02   #52
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
That may be but I'm still unwilling to risk the fueling to someone else. About the time you need a recharge is about the time the charging station is broken or out of service for some reason. Or even worse the weather has taken the charging stations down and you're stuck in Indiana with nowhere to go.
I've clocked well over >50k miles and >100 fast charges on Teslas network and not once was I unable to get the charge that I needed. Each Tesla Supercharger is at least 2 independent charging cabinets. New installs are at least 4. Each cabinet in comprised of 12 modules. It would take several failures for a supercharger to stop working. Some even incorporate a battery so unlike a gas station even a power outage won't kill it.

The subsidies that Tesla receives is a rounding error compared to the subsidies the oil and gas industry gets. Don't forget... one of the things that VW got into trouble over with regards to diesel gate was the subsidies they received for 'clean' diesels....
Old November 9th, 2018, 10:39   #53
turbodieseldyke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta
Fuel Economy: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
The subsidies that Tesla receives is a rounding error compared to the subsidies the oil and gas industry gets.
ROFL, understatement. The gov may give subsidies and tax rebates, but I highly doubt they will ever waste lives and trillions of $$ to invade another continent multiple times, just to prop up the EV industry.
turbodieseldyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 10:46   #54
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

It'll be interesting to see how Tesla fares as the federal government phases out tax credits to purchasers.
Old November 9th, 2018, 13:37   #55
steves96tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
It'll be interesting to see how Tesla fares as the federal government phases out tax credits to purchasers.

This ^^^
Amsoil Dealer #206107
steves96tdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 14:01   #56
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseldyke View Post
ROFL, understatement. The gov may give subsidies and tax rebates, but I highly doubt they will ever waste lives and trillions of $$ to invade another continent multiple times, just to prop up the EV industry.
This ^^^

Quote:
Given that the cost of EVs is falling faster than tax credits are phasing out the sales of EVs should keep increasing because... math. You can now get a new Tesla for $46k before any tax credits. A new LEAF with a 150 mile range is ~$30k.
Old November 9th, 2018, 15:56   #57
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Given that the cost of EVs is falling faster than tax credits are phasing out the sales of EVs should keep increasing because... math. You can now get a new Tesla for $46k before any tax credits. A new LEAF with a 150 mile range is ~$30k.
Model 3 was originally marketed as a $35K car. 2018 Nissan Leaf costs about the same as a 2015. These cars (and the Chevy Bolt) are significantly more expensive than a comparable ICE car. For example, a 2018 Golf 1.8T is about $23K. Math isn't really advantaging electrics.

As an aside, crude is in the longest price slide since 1984.

One more thing: Model 3 reservation cancellations have been exceeding new car orders for a while.

Last edited by IndigoBlueWagon; November 9th, 2018 at 17:01.
IndigoBlueWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 16:38   #58
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

In a way, ICE vehicles are subsidizing EVs - since pure EVs don't buy fuel, they don't pay highway taxes.
Old November 9th, 2018, 17:09   #59
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Model 3 was originally marketed as a $35K car. 2018 Nissan Leaf costs about the same as a 2015. These cars (and the Chevy Bolt) are significantly more expensive than a comparable ICE car. For example, a 2018 Golf 1.8T is about $23K. Math isn't really advantaging electrics.

As an aside, crude is in the longest price slide since 1984.

One more thing: Model 3 reservation cancellations have been exceeding new car orders for a while.
A 2018 Golft 1.8T is a couple leagues lower than a $46k Model 3; The Math supports a $46k EV as much as it supports any $46k car. There's a reason the Model 3 is now the best selling car in the US by revenue. Parity with ICE is expected by 2025. What will be interesting is after parity when not only is the cost of ownership a fraction of ICE but even the upfront cost is lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
In a way, ICE vehicles are subsidizing EVs - since pure EVs don't buy fuel, they don't pay highway taxes.
I'd love to see a combo bill. ~$50/ton revenue neutral carbon fee + $0.02/mile road tax. Everyone pays for the external costs of operating their car.

Last edited by nwdiver; November 9th, 2018 at 17:14.
Old November 9th, 2018, 18:32   #60
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

You're right that more worthy competitors for the Model 3 are probably the Audi A4 and BMW 3-series, which are closer in price but still less expensive. And the Model 3's build quality issues are notorious.

I like the Model 3, at least in theory. I have trouble getting past the styling, especially the nose. And I don't think I'd adjust well to not having any instruments in front of me. I prefer the Chevy Bolt for a number of reasons. However, I probably won't own one: it's hard to make the math work when compared to a 16 year-old TDI.

And say what you will about the supercharger network: I'm driving to Wisconsin next week and, leaving from near Boston, won't have to stop for fuel until I'm past Cleveland. You can't convince me that doesn't save time.