www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

View Poll Results: What fuel will your next car run on?
Diesel. Unless and until itís outlawed by the govít... 17 58.62%
Gasoline. F diesel! 7 24.14%
Battery EV. VW MEB (buzz, crozz), Tesla, Chevy Bolt, Hyundai KONA, Kia e-Niro. 5 17.24%
PHEV. Toyota Prius, Chevy Volt. Battery + gas engine. 2 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 15th, 2018, 06:55   #16
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
I drove 800 miles over the last 24 hours...
We drove 1300 miles last weekend. Only having 110v at my parents place wasn't great, it meant we needed to spend another 45 min or so at the superchargers across a few days driving around Michigan.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 33,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2018, 00:28   #17
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_TDI_98 View Post
1. Get the app “PlugShare” or jump on https://plugshare.com it navigates you to a vast number of free/paid public charging stations, as well as individual residences these people offer you their home charger or outlet to help you get a bit of a charge say 10-20 miles of charge in case you are low and need some juice to make it to a proper public charging station.
2. All gas stations will be adding replacing some of their current fuel pumps, with amazing fast chargers and make income by charging more than the electricity costs them. 15 minutes zero to full 100% battery 250-300 miles range. Already installed in London UK at Royal Dutch Shell stations. Coming to America.

1. Tesla X, S owners get free supercharging for life (this deal is ending real soon).
2. Huge number or free public Level 2 chargers compatible with 99.999% of EV and PHEV. Get the PlugShare app to see where these are around you! Malls hospitals city centers Parking garages hospitals strip malls etc.
3. Cost of electricity varies widely based on which state you’re buying in. Let’s compare a gas car that gets 300 miles per tank of 14 gallons, times $3.50 per gallon, equals $49.00 for your 300 miles on gas.
Our EV gets 300 miles on 64 kWh (Hyundai KONA EV) to 100 kWh (Tesla X or S) “tank” (battery), times between $.06 to $0.20 per kWh, equals $3.84 to $20.00 for 300 miles.
You can also charge your EV overnight for FREE on the stored solar power that your home solar PV panels collected for FREE from the sun during the day, and stored in your house battery (eg PowerWall 2 or DIY PowerWall).

Read this page it debunks the false claim put forth by the oil industry: “EV needs subsidies and oil doesn’t”.
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/01/26...-continue-get/
“In sum, global fossil fuel subsidies reportedly total approximately $5 trillion per year.”
It will be a fair competition when EV industry receives the equal subsidy as the oil and gas industry.

1. Batteries in an EV are warrantied and when well engineered with thermal management for heating and cooling the pack, are easily lasting 10 years 100,000 miles.
2. Wholesale cost of a new EV battery pack (75-100 kWh) is about $7,500 to $10,000. Depreciation on the battery is only $750 to $1000 per year. That’s awesome. This is why EVs hold value much better than internal combustion engine (ICE) cars/trucks.
3. SUV EVs and CUV EVs, are already here available to buy now and in high demand. Hybrid Pickup trucks are easy to buy, and more models of every class are coming soon from every automaker.
4. Most major cities and countries are banning the sale of new internal combustion engine vehicles by 2020, 2021, 2025, 2030 and 2040.
Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._fuel_vehicles
5. Some huge cities in China and elsewhere already have banned ICE (gas/diesel) vehicles. Why? Pollution from diesel etc causes over 300,000 early death in China alone.

I'm not going to go through and debunk every one of your claims, that's a waste of my time, but a lot of that you've written is just industry cheerleading and people carrying water for EV's.

Or, with reference to 4 & 5 just speculation or political trends at the moment. With regard to 5 diesel emissions have never been cleaner, that is unless the country (in this case China) fails to actually have emissions standards for diesel vehicles.

I will say though that it sounds like you're already on the bandwagon so that begs the question as to why you didn't buy one instead of your diesel?

Further, that when you read posts that use the words most, a lot, some, many say that, or some such statements that the origin of the claim tends to be dubious at best.

Honestly, why are you even on tdiclub if you are this much of a fanatic? Your post above is so over the top EV I would tend to think at this point that you're a troll for EV and just joined, like those who joined after the diesel emissions scandal just to ***** and moan, to pump EV's here.

This forum is tdiclub, not EVcentral or some such place.

And finally, I'm not buying one, I wouldn't have one if it was given to me, I'd turn around and sell the damn thing. I don't want to ride around on a 400v battery pack (Tesla) that can explode and / or catch fire and / or turn me in to fried chicken.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2018, 07:49   #18
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 mpg with leaking injection pump

Steve,
Everyone’s free to make a choice about what form of energy - diesel gas EV or PHEV - your next vehicle going to be powered by.
Just sharing information so you can make the best choices for you.
I love my TDI and am sad it might not make it to 500K miles unless I get a welding machine and start replacing the hidden rusted areas.
I’m guided by VW’s and Geemany’s very carefully considered decisions (they’re German and they invented diesel) to dump Diesel engine cars and replace all plans for new TDI cars entirely with the new lower cost clean safe smart MEB EV platform, giving us the ID (golf), ID Crozz (Tiguan crossover suv), ID Buzz (bus/Kombi), and of course the new ID EV names for jetta and passat.
Even if I wanted to buy a TDI in the USA in 2020 I won’t be able to, TDI won’t be available on the dealer lot anywhere anymore.
VW is making its new EV line the low cost affordable 250-300 mile solution for the everyday person, replacing its fuel sipping TDI with these new triple efficient EV.
Pretty much all auto makers are making the switch over.
Because they see how EV is cleaner greener smarter and safer.
I love my TDI and plan to keep my tough reliable TDI (rust scars patched with fresh steel and all) well after I get my VW EV in 2020 or after.

Last edited by Chris_TDI_98; October 16th, 2018 at 07:51.
Chris_TDI_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2018, 08:06   #19
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

When did you buy your TDI? It doesn't sound like it was in 1998. In 2020 there will still be plenty of used TDIs out there that you'll be able to choose from.

Despite what I do for a living (sell parts for diesel vehicles) I'm not dead set against EVs. My commute may be much shorter in the not-too-distant future, 1.7 miles. I've considered a used Fiat 500 or Mitsubishi EV for that use, as I don't like to make such short trips in a diesel, especially in winter. But I drive lots of other places, too, and there are many circumstances where an EV won't work for me.

And despite what VW or others may say about making EVs "affordable" I don't think any EV product line is profitable right now. They're all subsidized by the government and by the manufacturers. Profitable and reasonably priced are a long ways off. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Tesla sales once the tax credits to purchasers start to go away. https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/12/1...it-ending-date

A friend of mine recently took delivery on his Model 3. $47K for a small(ish) car with limited utility isn't any bargain, at least not in my world.
Old October 16th, 2018, 12:14   #20
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

For a Model 3 at $47K you pay more up front, from then on your running and maintenance costs are close to zero, and it’s pretty much the safest and overall best rated car out there. And you get all the best brains in the business so you get fully automatic self driving in a few years after regulatory testing and approval.

VW in 2 years is offering ID EV at or below the average new car selling price which is around $35K right now. Minus fed and state incentives equals $24.5K. Why would you ever not get an ID EV. I’m big on 4x lower or zero (when you recharge car off your home solar array) running (fuel/energy) costs and 10x lower maintenance and on this and practically all aspects except refueling time (15 min vs 5 min), EV has ICE beat soundly.

Last edited by Chris_TDI_98; November 1st, 2018 at 17:34.
Old October 16th, 2018, 12:31   #21
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

How much would you pay on maintenance on a new car in the first 50K miles? Not a lot. And EVs will wear out suspension, tires, tie rods, etc. just like any car. Not to mention battery life, which seems somewhat variable depending on the EV design.

Not everyone can use the entire federal tax credit, so its value varies. State rebates also vary, if any. And why I wouldn't buy an EV as primary transportation? I regularly drive farther than the best EV's range without stopping for anything. And even more often drive 3x the best EV's range in a day with only rest stops. An EV would, at best, impede my ability to do that. I recently drove to Syracuse to attend a funeral, and back the same day. 340 miles each way from my house. I had driven my Wagon about 100 miles on the fill it had in it when I left, and got there and back without buying fuel. Not having to worry about where or for how long I have to stop is a great freedom to me. I'll stick with ICE, thanks.
Old October 16th, 2018, 14:43   #22
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
How much would you pay on maintenance on a new car in the first 50K miles? Not a lot. And EVs will wear out suspension, tires, tie rods, etc. just like any car. Not to mention battery life, which seems somewhat variable depending on the EV design.

Not everyone can use the entire federal tax credit, so its value varies. State rebates also vary, if any. And why I wouldn't buy an EV as primary transportation? I regularly drive farther than the best EV's range without stopping for anything. And even more often drive 3x the best EV's range in a day with only rest stops. An EV would, at best, impede my ability to do that. I recently drove to Syracuse to attend a funeral, and back the same day. 340 miles each way from my house. I had driven my Wagon about 100 miles on the fill it had in it when I left, and got there and back without buying fuel. Not having to worry about where or for how long I have to stop is a great freedom to me. I'll stick with ICE, thanks.
Pretty much how I feel. Until EVs get to the point of being as convenient on long trips as a TDI, they will never be able to fully supplant having one in the fleet.

But for daily driving/short trip duties, the lack of maintenance and overal low cost of operation of an EV are certainly attractive.
Old October 17th, 2018, 13:04   #23
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

Porsche (part of the VW Audi group) is going all in on producing electric vehicles !
Amazing, huh?
https://youtu.be/zH2rsQvnoGM
Old October 17th, 2018, 13:59   #24
0die
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post

My big disappointment is the disappearance of manual transmissions.
exactly
0die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2018, 19:41   #25
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/...roduction-4285
Old October 20th, 2018, 19:45   #26
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...cars-in-Europe
Companies halting diesel engine production:
Suzuki
Mitsubishi
Nissan
Toyota
BMW
Porsche
VW
Old October 21st, 2018, 04:48   #27
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

As Mark Twain said, "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated." First, the article says that Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Nissan, and Toyota say they "will" halt European sales of diesel cars. They're still building them for other markets. And BMW and VW still build many, many diesel cars. There's a rumor that BMW may not sell diesels in NA in 2019, but that's not yet confirmed. It's common knowledge that Porsche never wanted to sell diesels, so their exit is no surprise.

Japanese automakers have never had great success with their diesel cars in Europe, so halting sales there isn't a huge deal. And meantime US automakers are introducing new diesels in NA, including Ford F150, Chevy Silverado 1500, and the Ford Transit Connect.

Last edited by IndigoBlueWagon; October 21st, 2018 at 04:51.
IndigoBlueWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 09:09   #28
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

Dont get me wrong, I love my TDI and plan to get an arc welder, replace the rusty bits with nice new rustproofed steel, and keep running it to 500K miles or maybe a million.
All the same, sometimes I think, we should be really grateful we have more and more electric cars SUVs and even Semi trucks to choose from, because they don’t have oil changes and don’t use gas and don’t spew any CO2 nor NOx nor other junk. And if a person has zero common sense, they’ll still question which is best, EVs or fossil fuel burning ICE engine vehicles. Just picture a huge pile of oil and gas that one car uses over 10-20 years and belches out into the atmosphere, times a billion gas burning ICE vehicles on the roads of our home planet. Come on people, let’s try harder to keep things more sensible, shouldn’t we? (Differing opinions welcome of course.)
Old October 21st, 2018, 13:00   #29
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

You need to do a little more research on the environmental impact of electric and hybrid cars. They're far from squeaky clean. And part of their current low cost per mile is because of tax incentives at purchase and avoiding fuel taxes because electricity isn't subject to road use taxes.

Perhaps we should buy electric, since we're all subsidizing them now with our federal and state tax dollars. Tesla's incentives start winding down soon as they're only allowed for the first 200K cars a company makes. Wonder what that will do to their sales figures.
Old October 21st, 2018, 15:09   #30
greenskeeper
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_TDI_98 View Post
In case you missed it, VW is installing it 350 kW fast charging networks in the US and Europe, to provide 14 minute full recharge time for all vehicles model year 2020 and newer.
Charge time will be a non-issue.
Stretch your legs, use the bathroom, get a snack, and youíre 100% charged and ready to hit the road again for another 250-300 miles.
References: https://youtu.be/08QxX-4l6J4
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/01/...0-kw-charging/
I'm sure Maine is a hotspot for the fast chargers
99 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF-6 (4" turbo back, Hydra chip)
greenskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote